i'm mad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've entered a bid on fidelity for the nymex ipo, and am real excited about it, but after reading about it all over the internet it looks like little guys like me won't get allocated any shares, since it's going to be a hot issue. i've read the entire 250-something page prospectus, and have sold off some solid investments to raise cash for this, but it looks like it's all in vain. man, even cramer is hyping this one - it's not fair.

Members don't see this ad.

the good news is that nymex priced at $59, and opened at about $125, instantly doubling everyone's money. the bad news is that fidelity didn't allocate me a single share.

This one made some big money for the people who got in, too bad you couldn't partake.

I've been following this a bit myself and I like everything about the nymex. If you still have the cash I would recommend buying some if it comes down, which it may not even do. Buy in increments though with this one, and trade wisely. The more it comes down, the more you buy.

Members don't see this ad :)
nah, i only wanted it for the first day pop, and even though i know it's going higher vis-a-vis cme, bot, ice, etc., i only tend to make investments when companies with solid brand names get discounted due to legal action, etc. maybe when the options start trading i'll look into it...

If you want to be a player in this stuff, you need a standard trading portfolio with no less than 1 mil at absolute minimum to get into such shares. Usually larger accounts will get the advance option ' we are just doctors.

IPOs in general should be avoided.

You get to buy into an IPO before its released, often times you are commited to keep onto that IPO for several months.

During that time the IPO can go anywhere. In Cramer's book, he mentioned that his own company--theStreet.com went up to the 60s then to 1 dollar before he was allowed to sell any of it.

IPOs are highly volatile when they first come out. They could of course work in your favor. Volatility after all can work up or down. However the thing that'll keep me away from them (with exceptions) is that the volatility is often too random to figure out vs other stocks out there that have proven track records.

If you want big time gains in a short period of time--I suggest sticking to stocks where the quarterly earnings reports will be released in just a few days, and buying up those stocks if you have good reason to believe they will earn ahead of expectations. If you play your cards right-Its usually a 5-15% gain in about 1 week's time.

Or stick to a company with good fundamentals with good reason to go up in the coveted $2-10 sweet spot range.

IPOs in general should be avoided.

You get to buy into an IPO before its released, often times you are commited to keep onto that IPO for several months.

During that time the IPO can go anywhere. In Cramer's book, he mentioned that his own company--theStreet.com went up to the 60s then to 1 dollar before he was allowed to sell any of it.

IPOs are highly volatile when they first come out. They could of course work in your favor. Volatility after all can work up or down. However the thing that'll keep me away from them (with exceptions) is that the volatility is often too random to figure out vs other stocks out there that have proven track records.

If you want big time gains in a short period of time--I suggest sticking to stocks where the quarterly earnings reports will be released in just a few days, and buying up those stocks if you have good reason to believe they will earn ahead of expectations. If you play your cards right-Its usually a 5-15% gain in about 1 week's time.

Or stick to a company with good fundamentals with good reason to go up in the coveted $2-10 sweet spot range.

in general i'm not that in to ipos, but when there is a strong brand name involved (i.e. mastercard, nymex, and soon, visa), i'm game. you can sell ipo shares at any time you want - fidelity warns though, that if you sell within the first 15 calendar days, they'll blacklist you. cramer couldn't sell because he held rule 144 shares - he was the founder of the company, so has to play by different rules than you or I.