I'm interested in blood diagnostics(looking for suggestions/input on my idea)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flanster6997

Reaction score
I'm currently a 2019 graduate of Penn State University wanting to pursue internal veterinarian medicine. Being fortunate enough to attend many veterinarian conferences my senior year of college, I noticed the inconsistencies with a handful of veterinarians misdiagnosing patients based on CBC reports. So this past year I have been working on an idea to introduce a predictive AI driven CBC machine for cats and dogs that will essentially eliminate subjectiveness to diagnose, but haven't been getting positive feedback lately. Any suggestions/Input? It's truly a scary thought that half a room full of veterinarians will diagnose a dog with inflammation from a high number of reticularcytes in the blood when the dog actually has heinz body anemia(example at one the conferences).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a 2019 graduate of Penn State University wanting to pursue internal veterinarian medicine. Being fortunate enough to attend many veterinarian conferences my senior year of college, I noticed the inconsistencies with a handful of veterinarians misdiagnosing patients based on CBC reports. So this past year I have been working on an idea to introduce a predictive AI driven CBC machine for cats and dogs that will essentially eliminate subjectiveness to diagnose, but haven't been getting positive feedback lately. Any suggestions/Input? It's truly a scary thought that half a room full of veterinarians will diagnose a dog with inflammation from a high number of reticularcytes in the blood when the dog actually has heinz body anemia(example at one the conferences).
Your post does not make much sense. I do not know any veterinarian who would diagnose a dog with Heinz body anemia based on high retics. The retics themselves would not allow for a diagnosis of Heinz body anemia either... I think you’re misinterpreting what was said.

Also, there are few things you can diagnose solely based on CBCs. Whatever you’re proposing is not something that would be all that helpful to anyone. A cookie cutter “what does this abnormality mean?” Blurb for each abnormality and what other clues to look for is already available. If you send labwork to a commercial lab, you can click on a tab next to each abnormality and it will give you a huge list of differentials as well as next diagnostic steps.

My suggestion is that if your dream is to become an internist, actually work towards that and get some experience and go to vet school, rather than insulting veterinarians in general when you have very little knowledge and inflating your abilities far beyond your years. Let the clinical pathologists continue to do what they do with optimizing CBCs and whatever. If this is the stuff that interests you, that is the field you’d want to go into anyway. If it was as easy as computer spits out a diagnosis based on a CBC, the human MD world would have figured that out already. There’s a huge limit to what a CBC can tell you. It’s only a piece of the puzzle, and in a lot of cases, a small piece. There’s A LOT more that goes into making a diagnosis than each individual diagnostic test, especially when you are working with a animals.

Reactions: 4 users
that will essentially eliminate subjectiveness to diagnose, but haven't been getting positive feedback lately.
That's because we WANT subjective input. One of the most important rules in veterinary medicine is to treat the patient, not the lab work. Lab results never exist in a vacuum, and this history and clinical picture (not just the signalment) is critical to interpreting diagnostic test results. And then to add in the results of other diagnostic tests, vets end up with a jigsaw puzzle that I don't believe can be solved by an algorithm.

I think it's a great idea to offer differentials for various lab abnormalities, but ultimately it has to be INTERPRETED in light of the specific clinical picture of that patient. (added: I've never seen the tab next to abnormalities on blood results from outside labs that Minnerbelle mentioned, but I'm not in the US)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I must've misinterpreted what was said.

Status
Not open for further replies.