"I'm interested" email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have heard of residency applicants emailing the program director of certain programs they have yet to receive an interview offer from, reiterating their interest in the program. I've been lucky to get a good number of interviews, but I still haven't heard from an elusive few that I would really like to interview with. If I email them, what exactly do I say without souding like I'm begging them for an interview (though technically I am)? Has anyone done this and had it work out well for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Just email saying that you are very interested in program X, and that you planning your interviews for that region of the country and are hoping that they are among the programs that you get to interview with. Say that you understand that they are busy, but you would appreciate hearing from them as soon as possible so you can make travel arrangements. Conclude by saying you'd be happy to answer any questions they have, and leave your phone number and email address. Done.

I would only do this for programs that you are genuinely interested in, rather than a blanket email for everyone you haven't heard from. Good luck.

No sage advice here, but I recently e-mailed OSU since I hadn't heard back. In my case, I simply reminded them that I earned my undergraduate degree there and would love to return for residency. The coordinator responded to thank me and let me know they would add the letter to my application. Not sure if it will help but it was a positive exchange. In general, I'd suggest politely asking if interviews are still being offered and where your application stands in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people have luck with it... I sent one which I got a reply back in like 30 mins that was short and said No....the other was a day or two later and said no.

Anyways...

I have had success with creepy, stalker-ish e-mails containing thinly veiled threats. "You have a lovely family -- you wouldn't want anything to happen to them..." or "I've noticed you are involved in disaster preparedness -- do you have a plan for when your office becomes the epicenter of a mass casualty incident?"

I guess your success with this strategy depends on what your definition of success is -- to me a restraining order is as good as an interview invitation. :hardy:

Seriously, though. Tell them why you want to go to their program (including personal or family ties to the area, etc.). Tell them what you hope to contribute to their program. Short and sweet -- these are EPs, not psychiatrists.

I emailed the place I ended up at, interviewed there, liked it, and matched there. It happens. Good luck.

I think you should definitely do this for program(s) you are really interested in. You kind of have nothing to lose.

The program I am currently at never offered me an interview - I sent a short interview reiterating my interest and asking for consideration of my application, and I received an interview offer a few days later. Ended up matching here.

So, I've been debating doing this myself. If I were to go through with it, would it be most beneficial if sent to the program coordinator, or going straight to the top and hitting up a PD or assistant PD? One says I follow the rules and am going to do this the vanilla standard way, and the other says I'm going for it and possibly risking offending. Thoughts?

just do it, email them. i did it and got several interviews, including at the program at which i'm currently training in EM.

i sent an e-mail to a PD i met at ACEP, telling her i appreciated how friendly and welcoming she had been. i said i would love a chance to interview when the time came, and got a nice reply from her right away thanking me for my kind words and interest. the interview invite came last week and i'm stoked.

send the e-mail, let them know how you feel. i don't think we need to be all coy, we just need to let the programs know we're interested and be sincere in what we say. as long as you do that, it will come across the way it's intended and you will benefit.

I've been thinking about doing this, but I'm wondering if its best to just cold e-mail the PD or stick with the program coordinator? I'm just wondering if the PD would get irritated with their in-box being flooded with requests for interviews.

just my personal experience, so take it for what you will, but i sent my e-mail straight to the PD.

i was really interested in the program and didn't want to beat around the bush or risk not having my interest at least passed along to the PD.

just keep it short.

I did it. Sent an e-mail to 3 PDs today of programs I hadn't heard from and had a real interest in. I'll let you all know how it works out. They are all close to my hometown and played the very truthful "I want to let the grandparents know the granddaughter" card.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got one invite today. Haven't heard from the other two. It works!

Hi all,

I have heard of residency applicants emailing the program director of certain programs they have yet to receive an interview offer from, reiterating their interest in the program. I've been lucky to get a good number of interviews, but I still haven't heard from an elusive few that I would really like to interview with. If I email them, what exactly do I say without souding like I'm begging them for an interview (though technically I am)? Has anyone done this and had it work out well for them?

I emailed 3 programs, and I have received interview invitations from 2 of them! I emailed the program directors (not the residency coordinators or the assistant PD).

If you are interested just send a short email straight to the PD. They get these all the time; you won't put them off. I promise. :) In fact, one time doing so is a PARTICULARLY good idea is when you have an interest in relocating geographically but this is not otherwise apparent from your application (eg you are at a med school in the South or West Coast, but need to move to the Midwest for spouse/family reasons). There is a subconscious tendency to assume a Californian wants to stay in California (gee, can't imagine why), so letting someone know you are actually looking in their backyard could give you an edge, especially when remaining interview slots become sparse.

You will most likely hear back, if nothing else you'll be given some variation on the "we have your application and are still thinking" message. If you don't hear anything back, there is a greater chance then not that the program's interest in you is not that great. So a single email is usually telling enough; I wouldn't recommend multiple emails. That gets stalker-esque.

Good luck

I contacted 2 programs that my wife had interviews at her respective program but I had not heard from yet (couples matching). These are two programs that we are highly interested in matching at. I originally started with contacting the residency coordinators and if I didn't hear anything back in about 1 week I contacted the PD. I now am thrilled to have interviews at both institutions!

Final verdict on what happened when I did this: emailed 3 PDs expressing my interest, got two interviews and 1 rejection. 66% return is pretty goo!

FWIW, sometimes there is sweet neurotic justice in this process. last year there were three programs that I contacted to please look at my application, that I'm planning interviews in that region, really interested, blah blah blah...

ECU- 'cause I'm from NC and my father's family is from greenville, so I probably would have ranked them first had I interviewed, blah, blah

Vegas- my wife has family there, we used to live there when my wife was a travel nurse, loved vegas, loved the area, blah blah

Christiana- EM/FM... was strongly considering doing EM/IM but thought EM/FM was a better pair and was very interested in such a program.

All three sent me a rejection email within 30min after my email.

All three didn't fill and I got my first choice. Booyah.

It's the little things in life... Immature? Yes. But it's a little like hearing an ex got fat; you feel sorry for them, but it's a little satisfying at the same time.

Last edited:
I had a negative experience as well........I emailed a program that I was really interested in and got a rejection within 48 hours :(

I had a negative experience as well........I emailed a program that I was really interested in and got a rejection within 48 hours :(

Yup. Same thing happen to me today. I guess that's what I get for being a go-getter. I was just calling to make sure my appl was complete. I was told yeah. Well within an hour, I got my solid rejection email.

Now I'm scared to contact the other schools but it's better to know your status (reject vs. interview) than stayin in the dark.

Yup. Same thing happen to me today. I guess that's what I get for being a go-getter. I was just calling to make sure my appl was complete. I was told yeah. Well within an hour, I got my solid rejection email.

Now I'm scared to contact the other schools but it's better to know your status (reject vs. interview) than stayin in the dark.

This has happened to me as well. I prefer when places send the rejection, because at least then I've gotten some closure and I don't have to wonder whether they're going to offer me an interview in January.

3 for 3 on positive experiences, if you're on the fence about it just go ahead and do it.

This has happened to me as well. I prefer when places send the rejection, because at least then I've gotten some closure and I don't have to wonder whether they're going to offer me an interview in January.

feeling the same way. i sent one to a program i was interested in that would have been quite a reach, and also got a rejection that same day. there's a part of it that feels satisfying, that i told them how i felt and knew right away that the feeling wasn't mutual. being wait-listed at three programs and having yet to hear from a good amount more, there's some relief in being definitively kicked to the curb.

feeling the same way. i sent one to a program i was interested in that would have been quite a reach, and also got a rejection that same day. there's a part of it that feels satisfying, that i told them how i felt and knew right away that the feeling wasn't mutual. being wait-listed at three programs and having yet to hear from a good amount more, there's some relief in being definitively kicked to the curb.

Hah, sounds kind of like telling someone you have a crush on that you like them, doesn't it? :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:
Of the three I contacted (because I am interviewing at another school in the area), 2 indicated that they were waiting for the MSPEs to come in and then would be sending out invites after Nov 1st. The other has not responded yet.

Of the three I contacted (because I am interviewing at another school in the area), 2 indicated that they were waiting for the MSPEs to come in and then would be sending out invites after Nov 1st. The other has not responded yet.

Whoa, you're contacting programs already? I was definitely going to wait until after Nov 1st, probably until end of the first week of Nov or so... I figured at this point, it's so early, it would just make me sound anxious? That being said, I do plan on chatting with a few programs at ACEP next weekend, but mainly just because they're my top choices and I want to give it that personal touch :p

I sort of figure that it's too early to be contacting programs. If they aren't listed in the interview thread yet, they probably aren't interviewing yet. I've tried to leave room for some of my favorite places in my interview schedule, and hopefully that will work. I can't worry THAT much about this part of the match...'cause the rest of it will freak me out WAY TOO MUCH if I let a little thing like this get to me! I haven't even been offered interviews at my two sub-i's yet (no one has, it would seem) and both places said they would look forward to seeing me during interview season, so I really think some places just aren't there yet in terms of offering interviews.

Also, and I guess this can be comforting, at least for now - places are definitely not offering interviews all at the same time. For example, one program started offering interviews about three weeks ago (as per SDN posts) but only invited me early last week - so, I really do think that they're just taking some time to get through all the applications. Can't say i'm not obsessing a little (i AM on SDN, aren't I? ;)), but trying to do it less.

Whoa, you're contacting programs already? I was definitely going to wait until after Nov 1st, probably until end of the first week of Nov or so... I figured at this point, it's so early, it would just make me sound anxious? That being said, I do plan on chatting with a few programs at ACEP next weekend, but mainly just because they're my top choices and I want to give it that personal touch :p

Must be nice to have time to travel to Chicago and schmooze @ ACEP ;)

Whoa, y'all are jumping the gun, I wouldn't be sending any of these until mid-late November.

Whoa, y'all are jumping the gun, I wouldn't be sending any of these until mid-late November.

Unfortunately, many interview dates will be filled by then. Two programs have offered me interviews only to say that all of the December slots are taken. I'm going to have to withdraw from both programs as a result.

I sent one out and got an interview two days later - but they only have dates in Jan, which will be hard for me to make.... still, it works! I would start sending emails now, particularly if you know from the "invited" thread that a number of people have gotten interviews there already.

Q

This is exactly the problem- limited dates and availability.

I tried contacting a program as it is past the November 1st- still no love. A few other I contacted indicated that they would be telling students around Thanskgiving. "We always send out our invites late". :eek:

The end result might just be that I have to politely decline some great programs because I will have other trips already scheduled. It is very, very frustrating.

I tried contacting a program as it is past the November 1st- still no love. A few other I contacted indicated that they would be telling students around Thanskgiving. "We always send out our invites late". :eek:

The end result might just be that I have to politely decline some great programs because I will have other trips already scheduled. It is very, very frustrating.

Yes, well, it IS difficult to schedule that many interviews. ;) In all seriousness, I agree. There is definitely a priority list of places I want to interview, and there are already conflicts...

got the interview!
their interview dates had filled up but miraculously somebody dropped out for next week so they offered it to me after i sent my "im interested" email
so it works... but be prepared to shuffle your schedule around :)

Congrats snuffles!

I really, really want an interview at Utah. A bunch of people at my school have been invited and I haven't heard anything, so I sent off an e-mail to the PD this morning. We'll see what happens. :luck:

Maybe some programs are counting on this. Think about it, the closer you get to the interview date, the harder it is to cancel especially if you are flying some place. So if you are a competitive applicant to a solid but not spectacular program you are more likely to go on the interview and rank the program. The program benefits by potentially getting an exceptional candidate since it's impossible to interview everywhere so you decline the "late" invites while keeping your early invites.

Anyways, once the these "late" programs send out their invites and people start really evaluating where they want to go and pare their lists to 10-12 programs, there should be some interview dates opening up.

It's probably just a conspiracy theory but after all this is SDN... and I obviously have way too much time on my hands :cool:

can i ask what exactly you are writing in these emails? im having a hard time wording it!

I have had success with creepy, stalker-ish e-mails containing thinly veiled threats. "You have a lovely family -- you wouldn't want anything to happen to them..."

:laugh:

I really, really want an interview at Utah. A bunch of people at my school have been invited and I haven't heard anything, so I sent off an e-mail to the PD this morning. We'll see what happens. :luck:

I got it today! I don't know if it had anything to do with my note or not, but the note obviously didn't hurt me. :)

There are like 4 schools I've applied to that I havent gotten an interview at yet... I'm going to wait until this friday then shoot out a message..

I really really want to go to one of them, and I see them offering interviews on SDN.

My deans letter went out last sunday, so I figure this upcoming friday, they've had 2 weeks to see my full "complete" app.

I'll probably keep the letter really short and positive, I have a new pub on ap, so I may mention that along w/my step 2 scores and one alum that went to the program that I really admire (he was one of my letter writers). I dont know if it'll mean anything but hopefully they'll know I'm really considering the programs.

Any comments? Bad idea, good idea? Should I wait longer?

There are like 4 schools I've applied to that I havent gotten an interview at yet... I'm going to wait until this friday then shoot out a message..

I really really want to go to one of them, and I see them offering interviews on SDN.

My deans letter went out last sunday, so I figure this upcoming friday, they've had 2 weeks to see my full "complete" app.

I'll probably keep the letter really short and positive, I have a new pub on ap, so I may mention that along w/my step 2 scores and one alum that went to the program that I really admire (he was one of my letter writers). I dont know if it'll mean anything but hopefully they'll know I'm really considering the programs.

Any comments? Bad idea, good idea? Should I wait longer?

send it now. I emailed a place at the top of my list and received an interview 2 days later.
Good luck.

I sent out 3 of these emails yesterday afternoon. A few hours later, I got an email from one of the PDs that was cc'd to the secretary saying that I would get an invite and that he looked forward to meeting me! Yay!

I sent out an "I'm interested" email to a PD 5 days ago and have not heard anything still. What is the next step in the algorithm? Do I send him a reminder or go after a different faculty member?