Will this affect my chances at matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nn0401

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm an MS-I. Failed my neuro block, and have to sit for the remediation exam over the summer. This will be reflected on my transcripts with a (RC) next to the passing grade for the course. I plan to apply EM.

Do you think this will significantly hurt my chances at matching?
(I know I haven't taken any board exams, but I'm asking with the assumption I'll pass and score decent)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I plan to apply EM.
Do you think this will significantly hurt my chances at matching?
There were 555 unfilled EM positions after the main match this year.
If current trends prevail, there will be even more by the time you apply.
EM matched students with professionalism issues, repeated years and worse.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
You can match EM still. Question is do you really want to? See above posts. EM is a dumpster fire right now, and there aren’t any signs of improvement any time soon. You should heavily consider a different specialty. You’re probably dead in the water for surgical sub-specialties and derm, but you can bounce back for most other specialties as long as you stay out of trouble for the rest of school.

What should would-be EM applicants look into? Well it depends on what you want. Want critical care and procedures? Anesthesia, general surgery, and CCM are good. Want shift work? Primary care, occupational medicine, and other clinic-based specialties have that. Keep an open mind as an MS3, I bet you’ll find something you’ll like just as much as EM, if not more.

Reactions: 1 users