I'm an international student studying in the UK. Can I stay after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says. I'm a non-EU international student and will be graduating from a UK medical school in 2016. I know that I'm allowed to stay in the UK for F1 and F2 training. However I'm not sure what happens after that - will I be deported? How easy is it for a non-UK passport holder to be granted a work visa?

I would very much like to remain in the UK (and practice as a doctor) and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this matter. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As the title says. I'm a non-EU international student and will be graduating from a UK medical school in 2016. I know that I'm allowed to stay in the UK for F1 and F2 training. However I'm not sure what happens after that - will I be deported? How easy is it for a non-UK passport holder to be granted a work visa?

I would very much like to remain in the UK (and practice as a doctor) and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this matter. Thanks :)

They changed the rules on April 2012...you won't be kicked out as long as you graduated from a UK medical school. You can apply for specialty posts and compete with the EU nationals :D

http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/specialty_tra...pplicants/guidance_for_overseas_applican.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
That is actually a fantastic thing. Maybe ill apply to UK instead of Ireland next year

What about if you complete UK veterinary school?

Will you be given equal consideration to EU nationals AFTER you complete the foundation years, though?

Yes, you are given equal consideration throughout the entire process both for foundation and specialty

Reactions: 1 users
They changed the rules on April 2012...you won't be kicked out as long as you graduated from a UK medical school. You can apply for specialty posts and compete with the EU nationals :D

http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/specialty_tra...pplicants/guidance_for_overseas_applican.aspx
AFAIK, you will be guaranteed an internship spot in the UK if you graduate from a A100 program.
so i take it that that ONLY applies A100 graduates? because SGUL program, for example, has a code other than A100 (it's A901), so i guess graduates of this program aren't 'guaranteed' anything?

From SGUL brochure:

POSTGRADUATE FOUNDATION YEAR 1,
AND BEYOND

At the end of the undergraduate course you will
receive your MBBS (or equivalent) degree, which
is a primary medical qualification (PMQ). Holding a
PMQ entitles you to provisional registration with
the General Medical Council, subject only to its
acceptance that there are no Fitness to Practice
concerns that need consideration. Provisional
registration is time limited to a maximum of three
years and 30 days (1125 days in total). After
this time period your provisional registration will
normally expire.
Provisionally registered doctors can only practice in
approved Foundation Year 1 posts: the law does not
allow provisionally registered doctors to undertake
any other type of work. To obtain a Foundation
Year 1 post you will need to apply during the final
year of your undergraduate course through the UK
Foundation Programme Office selection scheme,
which allocates these posts to graduates on a
competitive basis. So far, all suitably qualified UK
graduates have found a place on the Foundation
Year 1 programme, but this cannot be guaranteed,
for instance if there were to be an increased
number of competitive applications from
non-UK graduates.

Successful completion of the Foundation Year 1
programme is normally achieved within 12 months
and is marked by the award of a Certificate of
Experience. You will then be eligible to apply for full
registration with the General Medical Council. You
need full registration with a licence to practice for
unsupervised medical practice in the NHS or private
practice in the UK.
Although this information is currently correct,
students need to be aware that regulations in this
area may change from time to time.

There is some discussion about whether to remove
provisional registration for newly qualified doctors.
If this happens then UK graduates will receive
full registration as soon as they have successfully
completed an MBBS (or equivalent) degree. It should
be noted that it is very likely that UK graduates will
still need to apply for a training programme similar
to the current Foundation Programme and that
places on this programme may not be guaranteed
for every UK graduate.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Medstart108 : do you have any insight on this? :)

anyone else? :)

They say this but in practice every UK medical graduate has gotten an FY1 position. It is "oversubscribed every year" but every year they create temporary spots to fill in everyone who doesn't get a spot.

After foundation years nothing is guaranteed, home grown British grads don't even get into specialty training often and there are more applicants than spots. However, at that point if you were a UK medical grad who did their foundation training in the UK you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage if your citizenship is not an EU one.

Regarding the A100 issue it is pretty complicated. AFAIK, the A100 is the best option to take. The A900 at SGUL is a bit risky, they say you are able to apply for FY1 but it hasn't been tested yet. In my opinion, always take the A100 because the key thing about the A100 is that those programs have limits of 7.5% internationals whereas the A900 program at SGUL is comprised entirely of internationals and it is a new program that is only available at SGUL. It much easier for the UK to say they won't allow A900s to do FY1 than for A100s.

I would take the A100 program over the A900 program if you wanted to stay in the UK, but the A900 program graduates should be able to stay but it isn't guaranteed.

Last edited: