I'm A Pharmacy student and I need your Help med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rshukla1380

RushPharmD2008
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year pharmacy student and want to make the change the DO school. I go to pharmacy school at Midwestern Univeristy in Downers Grove which also has a wonderful Ostepathic Medical School (CCOM). I hope to apply at the end of this year but I have three Big Problems

1) I do not have a bachelors degree; I got into Pharmacy School out of high school and I had to do was 70 credit hours at an accredited university. I've checked CCOM website and all they want is 90 credit hours at an accredited university, Do you guys think that is a detriment against me?

2) I only have 70 credit hours at an undergraduate university, but if they include my pharmacy hours I have 90+ credit hours. Will AACOMAS accept my pharmacy school credit hours?

3) My GPA: In undergrad it was about a 3.2 but in pharm school its about a 2.7?? (there are reasons on why that is so low, but will even to the school take that into account???)

I am taking my mcat in august 2006

Honestly What are my chances if I apply to CCOM or any other school???
CCOM is my fav though!!
Thanks,
Rushabh M. Shukla

Members don't see this ad.

rshukla1380 said:
I'm a second year pharmacy student and want to make the change the DO school. I go to pharmacy school at Midwestern Univeristy in Downers Grove which also has a wonderful Ostepathic Medical School (CCOM). I hope to apply at the end of this year but I have three Big Problems

1) I do not have a bachelors degree; I got into Pharmacy School out of high school and I had to do was 70 credit hours at an accredited university. I've checked CCOM website and all they want is 90 credit hours at an accredited university, Do you guys think that is a detriment against me?

2) I only have 70 credit hours at an undergraduate university, but if they include my pharmacy hours I have 90+ credit hours. Will AACOMAS accept my pharmacy school credit hours?

3) My GPA: In undergrad it was about a 3.2 but in pharm school its about a 2.7?? (there are reasons on why that is so low, but will even to the school take that into account???)

I am taking my mcat in august 2006

Honestly What are my chances if I apply to CCOM or any other school???
CCOM is my fav though!!
Thanks,
Rushabh M. Shukla

It may be difficult for you. For one, the fact that you don't have the 90 required credit hours will be a problem - I don't think the credits from pharm school will count - call the admissions office and ask. Also, while it is possible to gain acceptance without a bachelor's degree it is not common.
In addition, both of your GPA's are on the low side. It's certainly possible to gain admission to schools with a 3.2, but as I said, it's on the low side - and CCOM is one of the more difficult schools to get into as it's one of the older, more established ones. If schools are willing to overlook these things, a lot will then hinge on your MCAT score. First, I would call various schools, and ask about the credit hours issue. Good luck.

I just noticed you said you're taking the MCAT next August? You could get the other 20 credit hours by then.