IHS Residencies. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolBreeze23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive. They are? Anyone. Anyone who hasdone one and their ecperience?k

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how competitive. They are? Anyone. Anyone who hasdone one and their ecperience?k

I know a few who have completed a PGY1 with IHS and one who went through the application process only. The benefits are numerous, but so are the negatives. Politics can be an issue, along with your nationality. PM me if you want some contact information.

I went through much of the application process and would be happy to answer any questions, you can PM me if you would like. It is quite competitive due to Indian preference. I would suggest applying to both non-IHS and IHS programs. The IHS does not use the match system. A residency with IHS has its pros and cons, I would evaluate what you want to do afterwards, work for the IHS? Hospital pharmacy? PGY2? Alaska is the largest site and is quite small in comparison to most residency sites. IHS has little to offer someone interested in specializing or wanting a dynamic and fulfilling internal medicine/infectious disease/oncology/nephro experience. If you want to work for the PHS on the other hand I would highly recommend applying.

I went through much of the application process and would be happy to answer any questions, you can PM me if you would like. It is quite competitive due to Indian preference. I would suggest applying to both non-IHS and IHS programs. The IHS does not use the match system. A residency with IHS has its pros and cons, I would evaluate what you want to do afterwards, work for the IHS? Hospital pharmacy? PGY2? Alaska is the largest site and is quite small in comparison to most residency sites. IHS has little to offer someone interested in specializing or wanting a dynamic and fulfilling internal medicine/infectious disease/oncology/nephro experience. If you want to work for the PHS on the other hand I would highly recommend applying.

This x1000!!! Some people think affirmative action is difficult to understand. Wait until you see indian preference in action :smuggrin: I saw a pharmacist get relieved from residency (as in booted out) and still hook up an RPh position at the hospital where I interned. The double standard is immense.