IHS/PHS/BOP Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B1uePi11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard any update or had any interview invitations for the Public Health Service in either the Indian Health Service or the Bureau of Prisons?

It would be nice to have an idea of how many people applied for these.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard any update or had any interview invitations for the Public Health Service in either the Indian Health Service or the Bureau of Prisons?

It would be nice to have an idea of how many people applied for these.
I've heard from neither of the 2 I applied for in Oklahoma. Any updates from your end?

I've scheduled interviews with Tahlequah and Claremore. You only applied to two?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...I'm not native, so my chances are slim anyways. I applied to Talihina and Lawton.

I applied to Talihina and Lawton too. Haven't heard from either. I'm not native either. I wish I could know if any of the other sites have scheduled any interviews yet.

I'm definitely hoping to hear something soon! Congrats on the invites!

I don't understand the selection process. I know there is an Indian Preference (IP) match, but does that come before non-indians interview? E.g. Because I got an interview with Tahlequah, can I conclude that no indians applied there this year?

Or do non-indians interview at the same time as indians? In which case, I wouldn't be able to conclude anything about who applied there.

I'm not entirely positive how that works with the interview process, I just know that if two people are interviewed and have the same qualifications, but one is native, they get preference. I do know, however, that no one from OU applied to Claremore this year. I'm not sure how that factors in to things though.

Wow, no one from OU applied to Claremore? Really?! The way the email was stated it sounded like a lot of people applied to Claremore.

Did a bunch of OU people apply in general to the IHS residencies? Have you heard if anyone applied to the Bureau of Prisons residency in Butner,NC?

Yeah I was kind of surprised too. I have a friend who's on rotation there right now and she told me the director said no one applied from our class. As far as I know, only two people applied for an IHS residency. And I haven't heard of anyone applying to the BOP residency.

Nothing from Talihina or Lawton. I got an interview in Rapid City though. If I had to guess, I would say they got the IP Match results today or yesterday because Tahlequah cancelled their interview with me stating the position has been filled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I did! I interviewed with Talihina last week and have one with Lawton this coming week. I was definitely surprised to hear from them!

Good luck all!

FYI, Indian preference means a decision must be made on all Indian applicants before a position can be offered to any non natives. IHS has many positives and negatives. If you haven't spent sometime on a reservation, I suggest you do. It is a VERY unique practice site.

Good luck all!

FYI, Indian preference means a decision must be made on all Indian applicants before a position can be offered to any non natives. IHS has many positives and negatives. If you haven't spent sometime on a reservation, I suggest you do. It is a VERY unique practice site.
Have you worked at an IHS site?

I did an IHS APPE rotation as well. My father, a former missionary, told me it would be the closest thing to experiencing third world conditions in the US. Two months later I went on a medical mission/rotation to a village in Honduras. He was right.

I did an IHS APPE rotation as well. My father, a former missionary, told me it would be the closest thing to experiencing third world conditions in the US. Two months later I went on a medical mission/rotation to a village in Honduras. He was right.
LOL! As far as what?! Living on a reservation? I guess the Oklahoma sites aren't typical then. All of the IHS sites here, with the exception of Talihina, are practically in the extended suburbs of Tulsa or Oklahoma City. No 3rd world country scenarios. ;-)

Last edited:
Did my amb care APPE at Pine Ridge - would consider it 3rd world

LOL! As far as what?! Living on a reservation? I guess the Oklahoma sites aren't typical then. All of the IHS sites here, with the exception of Talihina, are practically in the extended suburbs of Tulsa or Oklahoma City. No 3rd world country scenarios. ;-)

I found the automation and work environment exceptional. I also really enjoyed the location (near Glacier National Park in Montana). On the negative side, I encountered both incompetence and corruption. Not to mention Indian preference leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Overall, I think someone could really enjoy their IHS service. I wouldn't have lasted long. I barely completed my rotation, owing to my inability to accept incompetence. If you're interested, I've got two great stories to share :)

Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is? I applied to 5 places. I am a vet if that helps. Do you also know anything about the interview process? I am really hoping to get commission in the public health service.

Any updates on the various IHS locations and interview offers to non natives?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone heard from IHS sites for the 2017 round? I applied to Washington and Oregon.

I have interviewed with Claremore, Tahlequah, and have another with Washington. Was told the programs have until Feb. 15 I think to make their selections.

I have interviewed with Claremore, Tahlequah, and have another with Washington. Was told the programs have until Feb. 15 I think to make their selections.
If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from them? The last I heard from Yakama, they requested some extra information from me and then said that they were waiting for the final panel from the national IHS coordinators and would let me know soon. That was a couple of weeks ago.

If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from them? The last I heard from Yakama, they requested some extra information from me and then said that they were waiting for the final panel from the national IHS coordinators and would let me know soon. That was a couple of weeks ago.

They emailed me last Thursday saying they wanted to schedule an interview

Has anyone heard from Santa Fe? I don't believe it was one of the locations that was filled by a native preference!