IHS/PHS Pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I promise you that the New Mexico locations are in bumf**k nowhere.

yes there is a site in Albuquerque proper and a couple within an hour or two, but then there are some that are 4+ hours from a decent town with a commercial airport.

lol I've been to one of those locations. It's not that bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and they throw rocks at you during your lunch breaks just to toughen you up, and whip you just to make you count the pills faster!!

No, its not like that, I could assure you. lol :laugh:

Don't base your outlook on the few misconceptions of a knowledgeable, but incorrect, previous poster.

PHS/IHS can be very rewarding. You'll be a pharmacist working in a pharmacy, or a pharmacist working as a regulator at the FDA, or disaster preparedness, anything Federal... It's not 'grade-school'- you'll be a health care professional on the front lines of public health initiatives. But admittedly, it's for motivated individuals.

actually, the poster never said anything like that. He simply said that serving is a lot different than working hourly. And the poster is 100% correct on that.

actually, the poster never said anything like that. He simply said that serving is a lot different than working hourly. And the poster is 100% correct on that.

There's no doubt that that's the overall point the poster was trying to make- that it's different. But there's a lot of gradations of 'differences' out there. I was pointing out a particular difference that aboveliquidice cited which was incorrect, (which was subsequently commented on in another's response, which I had replied to, as well). I have focused my attention on the paragraph regarding 'UCMJ'.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is inaccurate, for the most part.

UCMJ applies where appropriate depending on the Bureau a pharmacist or other CO (commissioned officer) is working. It actually does NOT usually apply to USPHS officers. If you're stationed with the Coast Guard- yes, UCMJ totally applies and you may be subject to Court martial wrt the UCMJ (that's how the USCG works, and you're bound by that law). If you're stationed on an Indian Reservation, or Health an Human Services, NIH, FDA, BOP, (you get the picture), etc, you're subject to Federal Law and will be tried in Federal court where necessary. There are legal responsibilities in all avenues of pharmacy, be it community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, Federal pharmacy, military, etc, and each has pertinent systems of justice, rules, and regulations. But yes, you're required to conduct yourself appropriately as would a Uniformed officer.

The UCMJ is not some 'boogeyman' of regulations. It is quite needed and applicable in appropriate circumstances. But even in the military practice of pharmacy, I don't exactly see your point that it could be 'confining' unless you're doing something unethical, beyond the scope of pharmacy, and obviously wrong. I don't see how this issue even makes the list of possible Pros and Cons for most students and new practitioners embarking on pharmacy careers...

When I say more 'confining' - I mean absolutely, positively - more confining - Under General Articles 133 & 134 - a person can be convicted of a crime for not 'acting' in the appropriate manner. As judged by other uniformed peers. Now, there are other laws – that are written in such a manner that punishment can be handed down WITHOUT the right to defend yourself – as demonstrated by Non-Judicial-Punishment (which literally means No-Court-Punishment). When you hear someone say - you should have done the right thing... In civilian life, you can choose to live as you will, to do the right thing or not. In the Uniformed services - it’s Law – if you do not do the right thing – you can go to jail for it.

That was the distinction I was going for. Now - let’s clear up some other things. If the PHS unit you are assigned to is not at a military installation (attached to a military command), then you are NOT bound by the UCMJ - that is unless you are deployed as directed by the President. It is an interesting clause you see - because the second the president tells you to go somewhere - as in the deployment to NYC after 9/11, or the deployment the PHS made to NO for Katrina - all of a sudden - you ARE bound by the UCMJ. As members of the PHS were attached to Air National Guard, and the Army National Guard, and they were conducting federal services, as directed by the President under a state of national emergency = ALL participants were subject to the UCMJ.

Now - the UCMJ is certainly not the 'boogey man' - but people that are thinking about signing up for the Uniformed Services - better damn be sure they do not mind what in entails...

On a personal note - I cannot stand people who sell the services as something they are not. While they can be lucrative (with the right contract) - do not be persuaded by those who paint a rosy picture... It’s the service = and if it was the easiest, most enjoyable job on the planet = they wouldn't offer programs like the LRP. Period.

~above~

There's no doubt that that's the overall point the poster was trying to make- that it's different. But there's a lot of gradations of 'differences' out there. I was pointing out a particular difference that aboveliquidice cited which was incorrect, (which was subsequently commented on in another's response, which I had replied to, as well). I have focused my attention on the paragraph regarding 'UCMJ'.

This is testimony, given by Adm. Agwunobi before the House Oversight and Investigations Committee... In which he explains that, while the HHS officers are not typically bound by the UCMJ - it's officers are on duty 24 hours a day, and have rules and regulations that are specific to the HHS - while reading this regulations - I was surprised to see that they are layered on top of federal law. They are also more confining, in the same way the UCMJ is. So you see, even if the PHS is not under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ, it is important to note that you are not just a bunch of civilians masquerading in Naval uniforms.

Link

It was a hearing that the Adm was ask to tesify at - concerning management and disciplinary procedures of the PHSCC.

~above~

OK, so I'm new to the forums here. I am active duty, commissioned corps PHS. I have been so for 4 years, although I am a health services officer (not a pharmacist officer ) - one of a few with a toxicology specialty. My husband is a Navy JAG, so I know something about the UCMJ and PHS. There is lots of confusion regarding the UCMJ and NJP (non-judicial punishment) and benefits, etc.

As a PHS officer, you are on call 24 hours per day - you work whatever schedule your agency sets for you. If you work for an agency like the IHS that is understaffed, you will likely be working more hours. I currently work for the EPA and I work a normal 8-5ish schedule. I am not asked to work overtime, although it is certainly within their jurisdication to ask if deadlines are approaching.

As a PHS officer, I have never heard of NJP being used. NJP is, I believe, part of the UCMJ, which only applies to the PHS if you are serving with a military branch of the uniformed service (to include the Coast Guard). NJP is used for minor fractions at the discretion of the commanding officer (CO). It does NOT include jail time. The repercussions are usually extra work, reduced pay for short periods of time ect. THere are limits as to what a CO can mete out without a proper trial. NJP is often used where there are few legal resources to handle infractions.

As a commissioned officer, you are held to slightly higher ethical standards than regualr civil servants, but I have in no way found it constraining.

If you are considering a career with the PHS, feel free to email outside of the forum. I will only write so much here, because I've already lost one lengthy post, and I don't want to retype things over and over. Personally, serving with the PHS is more than the total sum of the benefits. It is about serving people and having a diverse career. Deploying to the hurricane relief efforts in 2005 was one of the best experiences of my life. You cannot find those opportunities working retail. The corps is undergoing a "transformation" process post Katrina. It is an exciting time to join. Feel free to contact me [email protected]