If you have failed Step 3 read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PassStep3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wasn't planning to write anything but I think a lot of people may benefit from my experience, as I did from reading previous posts. I am a US grad, in a competitive residency, and in a good program. I made a mistake of not taking step 3 during my intern year due to few family and personal reason and couldn’t take It during PGY2 due to amount of calls that we were supposed to take. Thus, it wasn’t until the start of PGY 3 that I started having some time to study. After about 6 months of studying for Step 3, I failed the exam to my surprise. What I had studied was

UW Step 3 Qbank + CCS
Master the boards Step 3

I thaught oh well, I was few years away from medical school time so I had forgotten the basics. I studied very hard for another 6 months (day and night) and tried to do more questions but I failed AGAIN !!! For the second try I had studied again:

UW Step 3 Qbank + CCS X 2
Kaplan Qbank x 2
Master the boards x 2

At this point I was losing my mind, I didn’t know what else to do and was under pressure from residency program director. I had never failed any board exam and had done well on previous exam and landed on a good residency but at this point I was at my breaking point. I Talked to few people and came up with a plan to improve my basic knowledge once again. I knew medical managements but the basic stuff were getting me. Not forgetting that 2 or 3 questions could make or break you on this stupid exam.

So I went for my 3rd try. At this point I was starting my PGY4, You can’t imagine my depression, sense of humiliation, and disappointment. I took all my 4 weeks off times to study in a matter of 7 months. These are the resources that I used to study for the 3rd try:

UW Step 2 Q bank x 2
UW Step 3 Q bank + CCS X 2
Kaplan Step 3 Q bank x 2
USMLE RX X 2
Medbullet Q bank X2
Archer videos x 1
Master the boards USMLE Step 2 x 2
Master the boards USMLE Step 3 X 2
First Aid USMLE Step 3 x 2

This was about 8 thousands questions and wrote VERY high yield notes about 100 pages and read those x 3 times and went for the exam … and ….. I PASSED with 249. I was almost ready to leave residency and start teaching Step 3 … lol ... Thank God it was over. So looking back I think doing USMLE STEP 2 was a life changer and my golden notes made me pass because it helped me remember a lot of basic questions that they asked.

If you have failed Step 3, don’t give up, you just have to know what to study and what they ask. Email me and I can give you more specific advice. I will share this experience in the other boards as well because I don’t want anyone else to go through what I went.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Great story of perseverance. Not only did you pass the last time, you got a great score.

I had a similar-ish story. Didn't take it as an intern, went into a competitive residency where I didn't use that knowledge base and failed the test the first time out during PGY2 year. Retook it my PGY4 year after I had already started interviewing for fellowships. I definitely had the same sense of depression, humiliation, and disappointment while I was studying. Studied for 3-4 mo that second time and passed with a 230.

Passing that test actually gave me more satisfaction than any other test I've ever taken. Because I was (re-) learning a huge knowledge base of material I hadn't seen in almost 4 years AND would never use again, it was infinitely more challenging than studying for my actual specialty. I may as well have been studying for the bar exam or engineering certification test. I honestly think it was one of the greatest challenges I've dealt with academically.

Congratulations again.

So I wasn't planning to write anything but I think a lot of people may benefit from my experience, as I did from reading previous posts. I am a US grad, in a competitive residency, and in a good program. I made a mistake of not taking step 3 during my intern year due to few family and personal reason and couldn’t take It during PGY2 due to amount of calls that we were supposed to take. Thus, it wasn’t until the start of PGY 3 that I started having some time to study. After about 6 months of studying for Step 3, I failed the exam to my surprise. What I had studied was

UW Step 3 Qbank + CCS
Master the boards Step 3

I thaught oh well, I was few years away from medical school time so I had forgotten the basics. I studied very hard for another 6 months (day and night) and tried to do more questions but I failed AGAIN !!! For the second try I had studied again:

Kaplan Qbank x 2
Master the boards x 2

At this point I was losing my mind, I didn’t know what else to do and was under pressure from residency program director. I had never failed any board exam and had done well on previous exam and landed on a good residency but at this point I was at my breaking point. I Talked to few people and came up with a plan to improve my basic knowledge once again. I knew medical managements but the basic stuff were getting me. Not forgetting that 2 or 3 questions could make or break you on this stupid exam.

So I went for my 3rd try. At this point I was starting my PGY4, You can’t imagine my depression, sense of humiliation, and disappointment. I took all my 4 weeks off times to study in a matter of 7 months. These are the resources that I used to study for the 3rd try:

UW Step 2 Q bank x 2
Kaplan Step 3 Q bank x 2
USMLE RX X 2
Medbullet Q bank X2
Archer videos x 1

This was about 8 thousands questions and wrote VERY high yield notes about 100 pages and read those x 3 times and went for the exam … and ….. I PASSED with 249. I was almost ready to leave residency and start teaching Step 3 … lol ... Thank God it was over. So looking back I think doing USMLE STEP 2 was a life changer and my golden notes made me pass because it helped me remember a lot of basic questions that they asked.

If you have failed Step 3, don’t give up, you just have to know what to study and what they ask. Email me and I can give you more specific advice. I will share this experience in the other boards as well because I don’t want anyone else to go through what I went.

[email protected]

Thank you. It has been years since my survival of a toxic family situation, I am preparing to study. I am looking for resources so that I may resume my career.

Thank you for this post.

Sincerely.

I've been searching for the right direction that would fit my experience. It has been years since step two. Due to significant family issues, I am significantly behind my graduating peers.

Reading your information gave me a perspective I had not taken into account. I now know with which resources to begin.

Finally, what are Golden Notes and how would I access those?

Members don't see this ad :)

UW Step 3 Qbank + CCS
Master the boards Step 3

Kaplan Qbank x 2
Master the boards x 2

UW Step 2 Q bank x 2
Kaplan Step 3 Q bank x 2
USMLE RX X 2
Medbullet Q bank X2
Archer videos x 1

[email protected]

Thanks for posting this. I am going through a similar experience. I am taking it in 2 months and I am doing the archer videos right now. Would it help a lot to get the step 2 and step 3 banks? I have to pass it in order to start my residency again. Right now, I am an attending and on a limited license. So, I don't have a lot of time to read. I have test anxiety and really need to do as many questions as I can. Any advice would be great.

Thank you so much for your post @PassStep3. Great job. Congratulations! You did great keeping yourself motivated.

I took exam 5 months ago and failed with 191/196 passing score. The result came back a month ago due to delay on reporting so I lost couple of months in between. I have just started my PGY-3 but I have to take the exam in 3 weeks because of the state rule otherwise I will be out of program!

I took step 2 CK 2010, step 1 2014 with mid scores. So definitely gap in my basic knowledge.

For my first attempt I did UWx3, CCSx2, UW statisticsx1.

For now:
I re did complete of UW step 3 with score of 70%. I read MTB for first time. I read statistics of UW and FA step 1 stats. I'm doing mapping for ccs along with UW ccs.

I have 3 weeks left. I'm using my vacation time now. My plan is to re read my UWx2 notes and actual marked tests. Re read MTBx2 and review stats from UW and FA Step 1. In one week between exam study again the CCS.

How would you think about this plan? Reading your post I scare a lot and super worried that I will fail again. I can't postpone the exam. If I do I will lose my spot. Don't know what to do. Please advice? Any advice appreciated.

Thank you so much for your post @PassStep3. Great job. Congratulations! You did great keeping yourself motivated.

I took exam 5 months ago and failed with 191/196 passing score. The result came back a month ago due to delay on reporting so I lost couple of months in between. I have just started my PGY-3 but I have to take the exam in 3 weeks because of the state rule otherwise I will be out of program!

I took step 2 CK 2010, step 1 2014 with mid scores. So definitely gap in my basic knowledge.

For now:
I re did complete of UW step 3 with score of 70%. I read MTB for first time. I read statistics of UW and FA step 1 stats. I'm doing mapping for ccs along with UW ccs.

I have 3 weeks left. I'm using my vacation time now. My plan is to re read my UWx2 notes and actual marked tests. Re read MTBx2 and review stats from UW and FA Step 1. In one week between exam study again the CCS.

How would you think about this plan? Reading your post I scare a lot and super worried that I will fail again. I can't postpone the exam. If I do I will lose my spot. Don't know what to do. Please advice? Any advice appreciated.

For now:

Similar story... I failed x 2 during residency. LOA until score results got back and could not advance to 3rd yr. I spoke to my PD, went to test taking center and spoke to my classmates to help me with calls and other issues. I didn't want to tell them but it was the best I did... I got all the support I needed. First attempt during PGY-1 194, PGY-2 191. I had a lot of personal and family issues I was facing... I'm an ok test taking person.. no prior fail attempts on the other steps and ITE with good scores. My problem was that I never finished the test... I focused on time and my weak areas... I did UWSA 1 week before my test and score 199! I felt even worse because it was just barely passing score! I had no more time and had to take the test... I retook it last month and got my score last wed 225! My advise: Don't give up... look for help... study even if you are tired... I woke up every day at 5am before my rotation... I studied during my sleep... lunch... even while driving (listened to podcasts). I never gave up and the more tired I felt the more I studied... I prayed and prayed... Let me know what can I do to help you... I don't want anyone to go through what I went... I'm officially a pgy-3! I kept motivated listening to motivational videos, reading success stories... keep fighting! BTW first time I write in a blog...

Reactions: 2 users
Similar story... I failed x 2 during residency. LOA until score results got back and could not advance to 3rd yr. I spoke to my PD, went to test taking center and spoke to my classmates to help me with calls and other issues. I didn't want to tell them but it was the best I did... I got all the support I needed. First attempt during PGY-1 194, PGY-2 191. I had a lot of personal and family issues I was facing... I'm an ok test taking person.. no prior fail attempts on the other steps and ITE with good scores. My problem was that I never finished the test... I focused on time and my weak areas... I did UWSA 1 week before my test and score 199! I felt even worse because it was just barely passing score! I had no more time and had to take the test... I retook it last month and got my score last wed 225! My advise: Don't give up... look for help... study even if you are tired... I woke up every day at 5am before my rotation... I studied during my sleep... lunch... even while driving (listened to podcasts). I never gave up and the more tired I felt the more I studied... I prayed and prayed... Let me know what can I do to help you... I don't want anyone to go through what I went... I'm officially a pgy-3! I kept motivated listening to motivational videos, reading success stories... keep fighting! BTW first time I write in a blog...

Great brother..All the best for your future endeavors....

Status
Not open for further replies.