if you have a job what happens next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you renew the FAFSA in your first year of med school for your second year, do they ask for your W2 information again?

I have a job that started in the year 2003, so none of that information is goign to affect me filing the FAFSA, but i wonder if it hurts me when filing next year even though i wouldn't be working once i am accepted

Members don't see this ad.

I have posed this question to financial aid officers at 3 different schools at my interviews. I am a working-full-time post bac and am filling out my FAFSA based on a 2002 income of around $30,000; not a huge amount of money, but high compared to all those college kids with minimum wage work study jobs.

The answer I've gotten everywhere has been that you put it all on the FAFSA. You will come back with a bigger EFC than the other kids. You will get your package from your schools financial aid office. If you think your ability to pay based on your past year income which is non-existant in the present is over estimated you will go talk directly to the financial aid office. They, being humans rather than a computer performing algorhithims, will actually look at the picture and work with you to figure out what's going on and help configure your package with extra loans (or grants, depending on the school) to cover the gap between how much money the FAFSA thinks you have and the reality that you income is in the past.

So, yes, having an income will affect the goverment's calculations. But the schools will step in to help as necessary. Don't get too excited - at GW they were very plain about the fact that any such shortfall will just mean more loans since they don't give out much grants. But they will actually work with you to put together a package that will let you go to school. At least, that's what they tell me.

The above poster is correct. What really stinks is if you've been working full-time the last (2002) year and still plan to work full-time until you matriculate in fall of 2003. In that case, your EFC might stink for 2003-2004 AND 2004-2005! That's the case that I'm in...we'll see when the compassion kicks in from the FA officer.

Your mileage may vary...