If you had to choose one comprehensive book for step 2-CK, which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manolok

RG2019
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again, I'm overwhelmed by the number of comprehensive, HY, crunch time books out there for step 2-CK. But I would like to limit myself to one book to read possibly 2x before I sit for the exam that would yield me some High Yield points supplemented with Kaplan material.. feel free to suggest. The operative word is supplement not rely soley on. But being the total impulsive dummy I am I already bought all these books and started reading a few pages and stopping when I read a different poster's advice.. Probably gonna end up selling most of these on ebay. So, last word, help me end this maddening indecision! which one guys? add your two cents please! my exam is last week of January

1. FA
2. Crush
3. Secrets
4. Boards and Wards
5. Deja

Read similar thread to mine.. ended up buying Deja but don't think this maybe enough..
Plan to include Deja regardless, coz format allows for a quick read but would like to prioritize one of the others...

thanks people

Members don't see this ad.

I'm using 1st Aid right now and like it a lot (and I wasn't even a huge fan of 1st Aid for step 1). Just the right level of detail. Supplementing with Step 2 Secrets which is a pretty easy read because of the Q&A format.

Deja is a nice resource, but it's most effective once the examinee already has the basic information down from another source. Of the sources you listed, I would place First Aid in the first position. FA could be enough by itself (as a source of information), though it would be wise to add a question bank to your studying as well. I prefer QBank, though most people prefer USMLEworld. Adding Deja to FA would be a good idea as well.

Deja is a nice resource, but it's most effective once the examinee already has the basic information down from another source. Of the sources you listed, I would place First Aid in the first position. FA could be enough by itself (as a source of information), though it would be wise to add a question bank to your studying as well. I prefer QBank, though most people prefer USMLEworld. Adding Deja to FA would be a good idea as well.

First aid. I used it. Added info from my notebooks in each rotation. Got >260. Its great, awsome, the best...I love first aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
when i read parts of it, it seemed as though there was overlap between FA material and Kaplan.. so guess that's a good sign. Thanks and good luck..

btw, i started UW but only covering IM and half of peds and its kicking my butt. Maybe I should read through everything once before doing questions.. how are you guys doing it?

peace

I think you'll benefit most from the questions if you know the material fairly well before trying them. You don't have to have everything down cold, but you should know the basics before hitting the Qs. That way, you'll learn more from the questions (for example, FA gives multiplte treatments for many diseases, but it's hard to know which one to choose in questions when more than one shows up). You'll also know which questions you missed were easy things you could not recall from FA vs those that are more complicated. You'll also be able to determine which subjects you're strong and weak in and devote the rest of your time maccordingly. I think you should read through evertyhing at least once before moving onto UW questions. FYI, you might want to reference this score estimator if you have not already done so!
http://www.medfriends.org/step2_estimator/index.htm