If you get COVID... how long should you wait to get the booster shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anany

Reaction score
How long should you wait to get a Booster COVID vaccine, if you got COVID? Based on what I found, it said that one should wait to get a negative result and if one isolate themselves, then one can get a booster shot after isolating themselves for 10 days at the least... the CDC is ever changing their guidleslines.. but does any have any recommendations/ scientific support?

Members don't see this ad.

Not enough data to make a solid evidence based recommendation regarding optimal timing. CDC states that they're eligible after meeting criteria to discontinue isolation so I'm always willing to vaccinated them as long as they're out of quarantine.

It is mentioned in the booster doses section here COVID-19 Vaccine FAQs for Healthcare Professionals

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
also depends on if you received Mab treatment - then it is 90 days- otherwise 10-14 days

Reactions: 3 users
I'd give it a month or two based on no actual data, just a vague feeling that you might as well get your mileage on the freshly made antibodies then get a booster once those start to wane. Do not give advice to a patient based on this.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd give it a month or two based on no actual data, just a vague feeling that you might as well get your mileage on the freshly made antibodies then get a booster once those start to wane. Do not give advice to a patient based on this.
that actually makes sense clinically

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, do you have a rationale for this?
Yes. Some earlier studies (pre-delta I believe) showed that infection gives you pretty good protection for a minimum of 3 months. I don't think the studies really looked past that time since this was early in the vaccine days. It was also the original CDC guideline.

I know its been changed to "whenever the are completely recovered from COVID" and that's kinda what my spiel says.

"The CDC says you can get the vaccine as soon as you feel back to normal. Many of my patients want to wait a little while past that and we have good evidence that says you're ok for up to 3 months after recovering so anytime in that range should be fine"

also depends on if you received Mab treatment - then it is 90 days- otherwise 10-14 days
I think the underlying rationale there is that the mab tx is a signal that the disease was severe. I might be wrong

I think the underlying rationale there is that the mab tx is a signal that the disease was severe. I might be wrong
Mab trreatment (not counting Toci) is for mild disease to prevent progression to severe disease in higher risk patients.

I think the thought is the mab could attack the spike protein that is made by the vaccine before the body can produce antibodies- at least that is what I thought trying to remember my immunology class from 18 years ago.

Mab trreatment (not counting Toci) is for mild disease to prevent progression to severe disease in higher risk patients.

I think the thought is the mab could attack the spike protein that is made by the vaccine before the body can produce antibodies- at least that is what I thought trying to remember my immunology class from 18 years ago.

This was my understanding.

If someone didn't receive MAB, there there is no reason to wait for the booster, once they have fully recovered. Whether or not there is an "optimal" time, or if the booster is needed immediately after getting COVID, is unknown.

I'd go with the general rule for vaccinations, whenever you are eligible and available, that is a good time to get it. IE, you think, "oh, I'll just wait a few months", and then you forget about it, or have a life circumstance taking up a good portion of your time, and then you keep putting it off longer and longer.

Basically, it's extremely unlikely you will catch COVID again within a month or 2 of the first time you caught it. But at what point will you be vulnerable again? Nobody knows for sure. So best bet is to just get your booster when you can.