If YOU failed Step I........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have received 10-12 PM's from users who have failed the Step I, and I assume there must be others out there. Here is the advice I have given many times and hope you find it useful if you did indeed fail the Step I......

Hey there ******,

Thank you for trusting me enough to ask me for advice. I would advise you as I would a family member...

First of all, TODAY is a new day. Congratulations on making it this far and best of luck on getting a good start to your 3rd year.

As you probably know, I like to keep my advice simple and straightforward. I'll try to do that. Taking the exam sooner than later might not be a bad idea. On the other hand, if you take it too soon, you won't be able to study enough to pass again (most likely ;) ).

1. You MUST put the Step I ahead of making HONORS during your 3rd year rotations. I know the Step I is much more important. I would do enough to pass or high-pass your M-3 courses, regardless of the rotation, and focus as much time as you can on the Step I. This means weekends, too.

2. I would focus on three books and screw the rest.
a. First Aid -- read this every chance you get. In front of the TV, on the toilet, etc. You need to READ (not skim) this through 2-3 more times before taking the Step I again. Key point: MEMORIZE the pharmacology section -- it's 95+% of the pharmacology they'll ask you. Other key sections are Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Physiology -- heck, it's a darn good book!!!
b. BRS Path -- this book truly is great and has a ton of key points. Read it through 2-3 more times before taking the exam. Key point: the first 6 chapters (basic pathology) are VERY, VERY high yield.
c. BRS Physiology -- this should ideally be integrated with BRS Path. Be sure that you understand the physiology behind the pathology (= pathophysiology!). Understand which directions things go (like if a patient has primary hyperparathyroidism, which direction does PTH, Ca++, Alk. Phos., and Phosphate go?). Key point: Over half of the questions regarding physiology on most people's exams involve the "arrow"-type questions.
d. Do questions, Do questions. Did you do QBank? It's VERY good. Did you do the Appleton & Lange question book? It's also very good. There are many question sources out there that can serve you very well. The NBME exams ($45 each) are a very good thing to take as well.

I think this approach will get you an easily passing score, assuming you came fairly close on your first attempt.

Basically, I can't tell you WHEN to take the exam, but I can say that when you do the above 4 things (a. - d.), you should be ready, whenever that is.

Best of luck, and please keep in touch. Best wishes.

P.S. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have...

Members don't see this ad.

this all has such a familiar ring to it...

ps: i think it's funny how juvenile some of these exchanges are. not that i'm any more mature, but forgive me for expecting more from people who are already dealing with patients. :laugh:

automaton said:
this all has such a familiar ring to it...

ps: i think it's funny how juvenile some of these exchanges are. not that i'm any more mature, but forgive me for expecting more from people who are already dealing with patients

Always nice to read an ironic post. Thanks for the good laugh. :laugh:

Now back to our scheduled programming........

Following a schedule is a great idea (per previous posts). A professor recommended that even if you don't get everything done on that day, keep following the schedule. You'll be doing a disservice to both subjects/topics.

I don't understand the big deal in taking time off from wards to get the job done right. There are different time frames to finish an MD. Directors are becoming more flexible about entering residency positions. It's possible to start at times other than July or take some time to do research or whatever.

The important thing is that you have passing score to show the directors. Not so obvious if you're juggling too many things at once.