If you could do it over would you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what 3rd yr med student really wakes up at 4am most every day for 9 months? C'mon........

I woke up at 430ish(to be there at 515ish) for ONE MONTH of my 2 month surgery rotation.......

does every single specialty at your medical school round at 530 or something?

I know this post is from a couple of weeks ago, but just to clarify..... I didn't mean to imply that I have woken up at 4-4:30 throughout 3rd year. That was just on 3 months spread across OB/Gyn + Surgery. But medicine, neuro, peds - waking up at 5-5:30 is not uncommon, if rounds are at 6:30 or 7am, and you have at least 2-3 patients to pre-round & write progress notes on (and are a slow MS3, like me =) ). Still doesn't give much free time in the sunlight, which is one thing I dearly miss.

Members don't see this ad.

In a similar vein as the OP, I am torn on choosing the Md/DO route as opposed to other medical careers such as PA/NP or RN.

I had trouble my first few years of college with staying focused and very sub-par grades. So I dropped out and have been working as a full-time paramedic for the past two years. I noticed some problems with day-to-day life like paying bills and remembering to perform tasks. Went to my PCP, sent me to a psych and turns out I had ADHD. Put on medication and put forth effort and wouldn't you know it, things improved. Now I am currently finishing up a BS in Liberal Arts studies with all my classes complete for med school with a 3.6 GPA. Now my GPA from previous years will almost certainly exclude me from MD but DO is very possible, MCAT pending. Really I have gotten myself to the point where I stand a decent shot of gaining acceptance to medical school or PA school for that matter.

BUT . . .

As a medic, I have become disheartened with humanity. I know longer believe that people will thank you or appreciate your service because I have seen different. People on the whole, well they really suck. I am more interested in the pathophysiology of their disease and how I should proceed treating them (granted I am limited in what I can do, I still educate myself constantly about diseases and conditions). I do sometimes get the appreciate patient though and they remind me that there are exceptions. Those cases make me really like my job and the field and pretty much make me forget all the crap. I love bringing nursing home patients out of narc overdoses and educating staff on why you should NOT move a patient who fell, striking their head, and subsequently losing consciousness. I love developing a plan of action for critically ill patients who are crashing while on a vent based on my limited knowledge when compared to you very nice folks. But eventually I remember that almost everything I see or do is routine. It is just a job. And that is what worries me about going into medicine.

It isn't the debt or amount of work. I could care less about making 150-300k, I make 60-70K now and it's comfortable as a single guy. It's the amount of time spent away from my hobbies and the fact that no matter what, medicine will become a job and will become routine. I am very good at what I do but it's still a job and not fulfilling. I am much more interested in nature, evolution, and being outside enjoying the fresh air than I am with managing an obese patient with bilateral DVTs and two-pack-a-day smoking habit with a McDonalds diet.

Maybe I should be a Forest Ranger . . .

In a similar vein as the OP, I am torn on choosing the Md/DO route as opposed to other medical careers such as PA/NP or RN.

I had trouble my first few years of college with staying focused and very sub-par grades. So I dropped out and have been working as a full-time paramedic for the past two years. I noticed some problems with day-to-day life like paying bills and remembering to perform tasks. Went to my PCP, sent me to a psych and turns out I had ADHD. Put on medication and put forth effort and wouldn't you know it, things improved. Now I am currently finishing up a BS in Liberal Arts studies with all my classes complete for med school with a 3.6 GPA. Now my GPA from previous years will almost certainly exclude me from MD but DO is very possible, MCAT pending. Really I have gotten myself to the point where I stand a decent shot of gaining acceptance to medical school or PA school for that matter.

BUT . . .

As a medic, I have become disheartened with humanity. I know longer believe that people will thank you or appreciate your service because I have seen different. People on the whole, well they really suck. I am more interested in the pathophysiology of their disease and how I should proceed treating them (granted I am limited in what I can do, I still educate myself constantly about diseases and conditions). I do sometimes get the appreciate patient though and they remind me that there are exceptions. Those cases make me really like my job and the field and pretty much make me forget all the crap. I love bringing nursing home patients out of narc overdoses and educating staff on why you should NOT move a patient who fell, striking their head, and subsequently losing consciousness. I love developing a plan of action for critically ill patients who are crashing while on a vent based on my limited knowledge when compared to you very nice folks. But eventually I remember that almost everything I see or do is routine. It is just a job. And that is what worries me about going into medicine.

It isn't the debt or amount of work. I could care less about making 150-300k, I make 60-70K now and it's comfortable as a single guy. It's the amount of time spent away from my hobbies and the fact that no matter what, medicine will become a job and will become routine. I am very good at what I do but it's still a job and not fulfilling. I am much more interested in nature, evolution, and being outside enjoying the fresh air than I am with managing an obese patient with bilateral DVTs and two-pack-a-day smoking habit with a McDonalds diet.

Maybe I should be a Forest Ranger . . .

To be fair, if you love medicine but hate patients there's always radiology or pathology. Neither of these are known for getting out and "enjoying the fresh air" though.

To be fair, if you love medicine but hate patients there's always radiology or pathology. Neither of these are known for getting out and "enjoying the fresh air" though.

Very true. I think that EM patients have worn on me and I would be better served working in FP or Urgent Care. But I will see what happens with the MCAT and go from there. I can't say I know for sure where I will find my niche in medicine as a physician (if I get there) so I am open. But I sure as hell don't want to be a physician for the money or prestige. This field has really been the one I excel in and I suppose still enjoy, even though it really sucks some days.

Before making an investment in higher education, I think people need to really take a hard and honest look at themselves. Figure out what their strengths and weaknesses are, what their likes and dislikes are, etc. Then decide if post-college education is right for them and if so which route to take. For me, having worked prior to going back to medical school, I ruled out law school and business school quickly because the problem with those fields is that you have to have the right skillset to really pull it off to justify the investment. Very few people have what it takes. Most JD's and MBA's struggle and barely make it financially to justify the $100k in loans they took out. Medical school is a good option because if you survive the medical school and residency process you more or less can expect a certain amount of income and job stability. For me, I learned too late into third year medical school that I hated the hours, especially call. The material is not that hard and can be boring but tolerable. Pt care is ok. But it's the hours that I can't simply stand. Thankfully I matched into a specialty that fits me and my personality quite well. After residency, I probably will do 9-5 with little or no call. In retrospect, I would have gone to dental school. Why? 1) it's 9-5 type hours, no nights, no weekends. 2) mostly cash-based and very little insurance. When Obamacare becomes reality, you'll work harder for less pay. Besides, who wants to be told by the govt how much their work is worth? I prefer letting the market dictate how much I can charge. 3) working with your hands. Even though I thought I would do surgery when I first went to medical school, I soon realized that my back could barely survive surgery clerkship, so 5 years of grueling surgery residency was out of the question. Furthermore, I think that most surgeons eventually develop back problems because it's just not natural to be standing or walking for 10 hours a day. In dentistry, you can work with your hands which is what I like but you get to sit down when you do so. 4) you can start practicing after dental school instead of having to do another 3-7 years of residency and fellowship. This last point is very important. We had an categorical medicine intern get fired 2 weeks ago from my program. How much does that suck to spend 4 years in school and 200k in loans and then have your entire medical career end just like that? Often times if you get fired from residency it's due to politics and not performance-related. In dentistry, you just need to survive 4 years of dental school not the 7+ years it takes to become a physician. 5) there's less book material to learn. I like learning about new things but medicine is bit much for me. I like to do other things besides reading about medicine in the 1 hour I have free every day. In dentistry, you don't have to do as much work to keep current. 6) the income in dentistry is quite good. On average, dentists make more than a primary care physician. That's >150k. If you do a residency in orthodontics or endodontics you can make >300k working 3 days a week without nights or weekends. How sweet is that? You have a much better chance of matching into orthodontics or endodontics than derm. As a disclaimer, I should mention that my fiance is a dentist so I have inside knowledge of the other side. After comparing the two, I wish that I would considered dentistry more. However, this decision is highly dependent on the individual and their skills and personality.

is the sentiment about dental school common with physicians that you've interacted with?

is the sentiment about dental school common with physicians that you've interacted with?

My friend's dad is a PCP making nearly double the average salary, so it's not like he's bitter about the low pay. He told me to stay away from medicine and go dentistry. Several other physicians I've talked to said dentistry is a great option.

My friend's dad is a PCP making nearly double the average salary, so it's not like he's bitter about the low pay. He told me to stay away from medicine and go dentistry. Several other physicians I've talked to said dentistry is a great option.

Dentistry is easy, but dental school tuition is entirely ridiculous. I seriously think most regular dentists are paying off their debt all their lives.

Always wondered this actually. Most of these wish I was a dentist posts or go be a dentist are by non practicing dentists (IE students) or nondentists.

Any real dentists out there have any input?

Law is the worst deal out of the law, medicine, business trifecta. Well, at least for now. The economy will rebound, and those firms will open up again. But, once reimbursement rates from reform happens, there's no going back.

Oh, and for the people who complain about physician hours, realize that hours in corporate law and finance/consulting are worse. Finance, especially, can be far far worse. If 60-70 hours is killing you, try 90-100 (with weeks of 100-120). If you want to make the money, you'll have to give up a large portion of your social life. There's really no way around it... unless you're derm. But, we'll see how long that lasts... I would be willing to buy into short positions on physician salaries by the middle of the next decade. Surgery will be the only specialty making $250k or more.

Last edited:
Oh, and for the people who complain about physician hours, realize that hours in corporate law and finance/consulting are worse. Finance, especially, can be far far worse. If 60-70 hours is killing you, try 90-100 (with weeks of 100-120). If you want to make the money, you'll have to give up a large portion of your social life. There's really no way around it.

I think the disconnect is that in medicine you work 80 hours/week for $45k, but in biglaw you work 80+ hours for $160k+. Multiply that by 2 or 3 if you happen to make partner.

I think the disconnect is that in medicine you work 80 hours/week for $45k, but in biglaw you work 80+ hours for $160k+. Multiply that by 2 or 3 if you happen to make partner.

I was referring to post-residency. There's really no reason to compare residency to anything outside of medicine.
Few ever make it to partner. In fact, probably less than 5% do. And in medicine, attendings have far more flexible of schedules. Even most surgical attendings don't work more than 70 hours a week. Partners at corporate law firms still put in 80.
Either way, my point is that if you want to make good money, there's no way around working tons of hours.

I was referring to post-residency. There's really no reason to compare residency to anything outside of medicine.
Few ever make it to partner. In fact, probably less than 5% do. And in medicine, attendings have far more flexible of schedules. Even most surgical attendings don't work more than 70 hours a week. Partners at corporate law firms still put in 80.
Either way, my point is that if you want to make good money, there's no way around working tons of hours.

It's probably about as rare as attendings working 80 hours. Those type of hours are generally associated with lower level associates, part of the motivation to making partner is that you are no longer the guy that has to pull the all-nighters.

But yes, good money won't come w/o significant effort. Short of maybe winning the lottery.

It's probably about as rare as attendings working 80 hours. Those type of hours are generally associated with lower level associates, part of the motivation to making partner is that you are no longer the guy that has to pull the all-nighters.

But yes, good money won't come w/o significant effort. Short of maybe winning the lottery.

While it's true that the higher you go, the more cush the lifestyle, but in corporate law and business, it doesn't get that much better. If a deal is about to go down or there is a deadline, the partner or principals are basically right there with the analysts and associates. During the remainder of the week, there's less grunt work at higher levels, but more of constant pitching of deals. It's just a different type of work with different types of stress.

The surgical lifestyle might be comparable to law or business, but the other medical specialties are a breeze comparatively.

I saw a thread like this from 2005 but it's closed. I'm thinking about medical school but I'm hesitant because of all the negativity that I hear from practicing physicians. So, if you could do it over again, would you?

I am going to be a serious downer.... Not only "NO" but Hell NO! No one ever told me that I would sacrifice every bit of my being, give up family and friends and be required to learn the art of dirty politics and having to defend myself against continual character assaults. The debt accrual is daunting. Not much to do with an MD degree except to be an MD. So that means if you don't like it....not many alternatives, if any.

The ++++, medicine is TERRIBLY interesting. I really love the science of what I do. There are so many other things you can do in medicine that i had no idea existed. If I had it to do over again, I would have done something in medicine, just not MD. Hope that helps :)

Now that you are in residency, or even done with it and have had the experience to work with PAs and NPs, would you still have gone through all the med school process and residency again?

I know some MD/DOs who say they would rather have gone the PA/NP route, especially that there are more than a few residency programs for PAs.

According to these MD/DOs, PAs/NPs do almost all of what the MD/DOs is doing, except if you are in a subspecialty/surgery; they dont have all the debt after med school, can start making really good money after school and have a family life that often let them even teach or take on different hobbies since they are not on call.

I simply wanted to see your perspective now that you are on the other side of post med school education.

Why would you consider now PA/NP, why wouldn't you. I am looking for honestly and insight

This was me several years ago. I never imagined that I would wind up hating being a doctor as much as I do. You really don't have a realistic view of what's its truly like until after you've been out of medical school for a while. I'd read a thread like this and have a hard time understanding how it was possible to not love the field. Reality can change you.

That said, I hope for you it turns out to be all you think it will be, and that you are happy and love it.

thank you for the honesty. could it be the specialty that you are in?

Now that you are in residency, or even done with it and have had the experience to work with PAs and NPs, would you still have gone through all the med school process and residency again?

I know some MD/DOs who say they would rather have gone the PA/NP route, especially that there are more than a few residency programs for PAs.

According to these MD/DOs, PAs/NPs do almost all of what the MD/DOs is doing, except if you are in a subspecialty/surgery; they dont have all the debt after med school, can start making really good money after school and have a family life that often let them even teach or take on different hobbies since they are not on call.

I simply wanted to see your perspective now that you are on the other side of post med school education.

Why would you consider now PA/NP, why wouldn't you. I am looking for honestly and insight

how about the pharmacy route, depending if you do state school you can come out with minimal debt and earn decent money. not huge money but decent, only problem is you do not BRING MONEY to the hospital, you SAVE.

so this puts your position in jeopardy IMO.

I don't know about making blanket statements about tuition. In my state, dental school tuition is roughly the same as the medical schools.

[FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]Its roughly 30,500 at my state dental school while the medical schools are 25,000-32,000 a year for tuition..

If dentists make substantially more money per hour than physicians, over a 30 year career the 10,000 extra that they pay each year for tuition is little.

Finally, just because somebody pays off their tuition slowly doesn't necessarily mean that its a burden. If you get a federal loan (not anymore!) that accrues at 2%, it makes a lot of sense to pay it off as slow as possible.

Are you referring to general dentists? The mean per hour rate for general dentists is pretty good for four years of after-college schooling.

"Dentistry is easy, but dental school tuition is entirely ridiculous. I seriously think most regular dentists are paying off their debt all their lives."

look at the cost to attend Tufts dental school and report back. the amount is astronomical and absurd.

look at the cost to attend Tufts dental school and report back. the amount is astronomical and absurd.

tufts is one school, private, and not very selective (av 3.3/3.4)..I've heard that in general, medical and dental schools tuition is comparable and although dental schools are a bit higher, the difference isn't significant.

tufts is one school, private, and not very selective (av 3.3/3.4)..I've heard that in general, medical and dental schools tuition is comparable and although dental schools are a bit higher, the difference isn't significant.

well i am not quite sure what selective vs non-selective in dentsitry is. i just know dental is very expensive especially when you factor in the fees for dental where you need your own equipment etc.

I don't know about making blanket statements about tuition. In my state, dental school tuition is roughly the same as the medical schools.

[FONT=verdana,arial,geneva,sans-serif]Its roughly 30,500 at my state dental school while the medical schools are 25,000-32,000 a year for tuition.

.If dentists make substantially more money per hour than physicians, over a 30 year career the 10,000 extra that they pay each year for tuition is little.

Finally, just because somebody pays off their tuition slowly doesn't necessarily mean that its a burden. If you get a federal loan (not anymore!) that accrues at 2%, it makes a lot of sense to pay it off as slow as possible.

Are you referring to general dentists? The mean per hour rate for general dentists is pretty good for four years of after-college schooling.

"Dentistry is easy, but dental school tuition is entirely ridiculous. I seriously think most regular dentists are paying off their debt all their lives."

I haven't looked at the numbers in depth, but from all the people I know in dental school, most are looking at $250-300k after 4 years. My cousin is at USC dental. I think her tuition is upwards of $60k. All-in was around $80-85k. Another friend at Upenn is paying around $55k tuition, with $70-75 all-in.
NYU dental is also up there in terms of tuition (52k+). Its medical school, on the other hand, is 40k. Here at my school, our medical tuition is 45k, and our dental tuition is 60k.

Maybe there are really cheap dental schools out there, but so far I don't know anyone in medical school who is paying that amount.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the numbers in depth, but from all the people I know in dental school, most are looking at $250-300k after 4 years. My cousin is at USC dental. I think her tuition is upwards of $60k. All-in was around $80-85k. Another friend at Upenn is paying around $55k tuition, with $70-75 all-in.
NYU dental is also up there in terms of tuition (52k+). Its medical school, on the other hand, is 40k.

Maybe there are really cheap dental schools out there, but so far I don't know anyone in medical school who is paying that amount.

damn that is some scary amount of debt to take on. i looked at dental a few yrs back after undergrad and went on interviews but ultimately passed on it. it is a good profession/business although it takes a toll on your back and neck

well i am not quite sure what selective vs non-selective in dentsitry is. i just know dental is very expensive especially when you factor in the fees for dental where you need your own equipment etc.

that's true...good point

that's true...good point

Dental school figures:

Tuition increased from 08/09 to 09/10 at about 5% on average for private schools, also increasing total cost at record levels at each program. Here are the top 10.

1. USC up 4.8% to $105k/yr
2. UOP up 5.4% to $96k/yr
3. NYU up 4.5% to $95k/yr
4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
5. UPenn up 5% to $87k/yr
5. Tufts up 4.6% to $87k/yr
6. Temple up 4.9% to $86k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr
8. Pitts up 5.3% to $81k/yr
9. Case up 6.7% to $79k/yr
10. Columbia up 3% to $76k/yr

i couldnt imagine paying 100k for 1 yr of school.

Dental school figures:

Tuition increased from 08/09 to 09/10 at about 5% on average for private schools, also increasing total cost at record levels at each program. Here are the top 10.

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

These OUTLANDISH costs to go to dental school have truly ruined what used to be a rather sweet deal. It will truly take a lifetime of teeth drilling and cleaning to pay off hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars incurred during one's education. Welcome to America folks!

Dental school figures:

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

Jesus... 105K? Ok, I definitely stand by my earlier assertion that most regular dentists are paying their debt all their lives. Shoot, even the oral surgeons must have a hard time with 400k+. In the beginning, that's more than $2k/month just for the interest. :scared:

These OUTLANDISH costs to go to dental school have truly ruined what used to be a rather sweet deal. It will truly take a lifetime of teeth drilling and cleaning to pay off hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of dollars incurred during one's education. Welcome to America folks!

I think "sweet deals" in health care are just slipping all around.

Jesus... 105K? Ok, I definitely stand by my earlier assertion that most regular dentists are paying their debt all their lives. Shoot, even the oral surgeons must have a hard time with 400k+. In the beginning, that's more than $2k/month just for the interest. :scared:

i think the 30 yr plan is 2800 a month..... HOLY HELL!

what sucks is how high education loans are now. they arent that variable rate you can consolidate and get locked into, they are high and slam you.

Ya no kidding. i think the whole US education system is a joke and pathetic. required undergrad to do what you want to do. undergrad was a nice fun time but not worth the money at all. then professional school with massive debt to help keep the economy consistent. that is how things are. they setup everything in such a way where you will be a slave to the working system with no way out.

Ask and you shall receive....

1. University of Penn 58,958

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic/DMDprogram/dmd-tuition.html

2. University of the Pacific $76,832.00 (Note, it is the only DDS program lasting Three years. It still would be ~58,000 for four years but you have one more year of earning power)

http://dental.pacific.edu/Academic_Programs/Doctor_of_Dental_Surgery/Tuition_and_Fees.html

3. Marquette University Wisconsin Residents† $37,930‡ (more reasonable)

http://www.marquette.edu/dentistry/admissions/TuitionandCosts.shtml

I guess dental school isn't AS great as a deal as I thought. (I think its still better financially than medicine for the time spent)

that's pretty f*cked up. I'm seriously reconsidering going into dentistry because of this (alongside other issues) and starting to look back at medicine (is it bad to have FM as a goal?:confused:).

that's pretty f*cked up. I'm seriously reconsidering going into dentistry because of this (alongside other issues) and starting to look back at medicine (is it bad to have FM as a goal?:confused:).

Primary care is the one field in medicine that will actually see a pay raise. Of course, this doesn't mean that they'll end up making more than specialists, but the difference between PC and specialties will be narrowed.

Primary care is the one field in medicine that will actually see a pay raise. Of course, this doesn't mean that they'll end up making more than specialists, but the difference between PC and specialties will be narrowed.

so they say......

dont forget all the headache with primary care. the stress, that isnt all going away at anytime soon. watch reimbursement be cut even more.

so they say......

dont forget all the headache with primary care. the stress, that isnt all going away at anytime soon. watch reimbursement be cut even more.

The stress and headaches aren't limited to primary care. As far as reimbursement cuts, they'll fall on specialists before they start targeting PCPs again.

Yeah. But just so we're clear "primary care" in Obama-speak doesnt mean Family Practice MD's. It means MDs, NPs and PAs that practice in a general setting of family medicine. So while the average pay of all those folks is going to go up...that doesnt mean they cant pay FP docs LESS and NPs/PAs more and still be keeping thier word.
gotta read the bill to actually understand what it says.

I guess dental school isn't AS great as a deal as I thought. (I think its still better financially than medicine for the time spent)

Just for fun, I looked at what dental tuition/fees (including health insurance) was at the institution where I am (not a dentist). Kind of blown away by the "Equipment Fee" of $13K/y. Do they all get their own fancy treatment chair?
Residents: $44k/y
Non-residents: $61K/y

For the Med school (which incidentally has the highest "Resident" tuition of any State Med school in the country):
Residents: $38,689
Non-Residents: $51,845

Just for fun, I looked at what dental tuition/fees (including health insurance) was at the institution where I am (not a dentist). Kind of blown away by the "Equipment Fee" of $13K/y. Do they all get their own fancy treatment chair?

For the Med school (which incidentally has the highest "Resident" tuition of any State Med school in the country):

a lot of them make their own dentures and such. They have to do a lot procedures on fake teeth but pay for all the materials and rent equipment and such.

I was curious to hear what more residents and attendings have to say about dentistry. Any more input?

I believe the equipment fee goes towards operating the dental clinics 3rd/4th year students work in. I also believe they have to purchase their own instruments as well.