If you can't decide between DO or IMG? Read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

novacek88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone will have his or her opinion on the matter. But I want you to note these trends on SDN.

1 DO vs IMG questions are almost always asked in the caribbean forum not the DO forums. This is because people are aware that IMG's have mixed feelings about their decision to go IMG. But they know DO's are pretty confident they made the right decision.

2 Notice the majority of U.S. M.D.'s are pro DO in the DO vs IMG threads

3 Notice that DO's on SDN never regret their decision or wish they went IMG.

4 Notice some IMG's on SDN claim DO is a better option. (BEVO, Leukocyte)

5 Notice how DO's proudly refer to their matchlists and openly provide them whereas IMG's make excuses about their matchlists and explain how students didn't "report" their results

6 Notice how DO's have better application numbers than IMG's; why would better students choose DO?

7 Notice on IMG matchlists their numbers of non-primary care matches rival or are less than that of DO match lists, but have nearly 3 times the number of graduating students. That should tell you about your chances of matching into something difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Instead of having people believe your amazing 'noticing' ability, how about putting up some facts to go along with your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Taus said:
reading these kinds of threads is like watching monkeys throw poo at each other....

And what does it mean when you post on the thread?

I guess I'm a freak who likes flinging poo....

btw I wasn't directly talking about you two....just these threads in general...

Taus said:
good one.....

btw I wasn't directly talking about you two....just these threads in general...

I actually liked the 'monkey slinging poo' comment. It is actually accurate:)

novacek88 said:
Everyone will have his or her opinion on the matter. But I want you to note these trends on SDN.

1 DO vs IMG questions are almost always asked in the caribbean forum not the DO forums. This is because people are aware that IMG's have mixed feelings about their decision to go IMG. But they know DO's are pretty confident they made the right decision.

5 Notice how DO's proudly refer to their matchlists and openly provide them whereas IMG's make excuses about their matchlists and explain how students didn't "report" their results

6 Notice how DO's have better application numbers than IMG's; why would better students choose DO?

7 Notice on IMG matchlists their numbers of non-primary care matches rival or are less than that of DO match lists, but have nearly 3 times the number of graduating students. That should tell you about your chances of matching into something difficult.

The following may help pre-meds decide--->

Below quote is from the president of the Association of American Medical Colleges.......this is in regards to caribbean grads (Ross and SGU)

"This group is likely to be the best prepared academically among those who began their medical education abroad, given that they completed the off-shore school's requirements for graduation, successfully cleared the ECFMG hurdles, and were accepted for residency training.

Given the inconvenience, expense, and uncertainty of success associated with attending an offshore medical school, students who choose this path to become a physician are likely to be deeply motivated."

Full article is here:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march06/word.htm

Shah_Patel_PT said:

Below quote is from the president of the Association of American Medical Colleges.......this is in regards to caribbean grads (Ross and SGU)

You might want to re-read the part you left out more carefully. It actually refers to residents who had applied to one or more US medical schools previously-- before they went to the Caribean. ALL it says is that those students are better prepared academically than other FMGs.

I'm not sure how that could help anyone decide anything.

heh, I got mentioned.

Bevo said:
heh, I got mentioned.
With a glowing step I score, and this endorsement I could see you climb right out of the carib. FP/IM pool. You may even have a shot at peds. :D Deep breaths.

McGillGrad said:
Instead of having people believe your amazing 'noticing' ability, how about putting up some facts to go along with your opinion?

How are 4,6, and 7 not facts? Please indicate where I'm wrong. Oh, I see where this is going. You are going to play the "The burden of proof lies with you" card and force me to present all this evidence to support statements that you and I know are true. Sorry but I'm not going to paste URL's of admission stats every DO and foreign school when we know DO applicants have higher entrance stats than IMG's. That's one example. Sorry, you are far too predictable such as your incessant and insecure need to have the last word. I will allow you to have the last word like I did on the other thread since it's important to you. Your behavior is predictable. Pre-meds like yourself never really grow up until they endure the humbling process of medical school and training. Enjoy :thumbup:

Interestingly, given number 7, it would appear that the OP thinks of IM as a non-competitive field. I am aware that the author is a DO, but what residency are you in again? ;) Of course, I'm sure all those Carib. grads are in IM residencies because they had no choice, whereas the OP is in an IM residency because he chose to be. Am I correct?

novacek88 said:

If you really want to help the newbies find a better future you should have encouraged them to choose what is right for them not what you feel is right. The list you posted won't help a person decide b/t IMGs/DOs it just said "Go DO b/c IMG suck B*lls."

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i have a friend who like myself is a pre-med which is of course the reason i'm on this forum. we both graduated at the same time with a BS degree in biology. i'll be attending a masters in biomed science this fall in hopes of eventually getting into med school since my gpa was nowhere near stellar and my first time mcat scores were horrendous (still awaiting the april '06 scores). my friend took the mcat in aug of '05 and scored just slightly better than i did and like myslef, is awaiting the april '06 results. he is interested in going to st. matthews but i don't think he'll be able to get in. his mcat was in the low low 20's and his overall gpa was below a 3.0 (his bcpm was about 2.5). he really thinks that he'll be accepted into a caribbean school but i really dont think his chances are anywhere near being accepted. unfortunately i dont have the heart to tell him otherwise and crush his hopes and dreams. what do you guys think about my boy's situation. you think he can get into any caribbean school (i.e. st. george, ross, st. matthew, or saba)? i told him to do the MBMS program in hopes of getting into a DO school but he refuses to go the DO route and looks down on the degree. me personally, i'd rather do DO than caribbean because of all the red tape that comes along with it.

McGillGrad said:
And what does it mean when you post on the thread?

what does it mean when you post on the thread then McGillGrad :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :p

i have to say...honestly...most people could care less where their doc went to school. i'm an IMG and I did consider DO but chose IMG instead. nothing against DO, i just felt st. george's was a better fit for me.

this almost sounds like a pissing contest from you. it's like the fat kid telling the ugly kid they have a better chance in life to be successful. bottom line...IMG or DO or AMG you are going to be kind of doctor you want to be. YES, it is individual. Remember when Duke cut off the wrong leg a few years back....hmm...AMGs make mistakes and are flawed just like any other person who is privileged to call him/herself doctor.

oh, and since this did sound like a pissing contest- you must have the smallest peepee, because i can not even imagine what kind inferiority complex you had to have in order to come up with that list of 7. what a freaking loser! one more thing...i matched in urology this year as an IMG.

Doc21ny said:
i have to say...honestly...most people could care less where their doc went to school. i'm an IMG and I did consider DO but chose IMG instead. nothing against DO, i just felt st. george's was a better fit for me.

this almost sounds like a pissing contest from you. it's like the fat kid telling the ugly kid they have a better chance in life to be successful. bottom line...IMG or DO or AMG you are going to be kind of doctor you want to be. YES, it is individual. Remember when Duke cut off the wrong leg a few years back....hmm...AMGs make mistakes and are flawed just like any other person who is privileged to call him/herself doctor.

oh, and since this did sound like a pissing contest- you must have the smallest peepee, because i can not even imagine what kind inferiority complex you had to have in order to come up with that list of 7. what a freaking loser! one more thing...i matched in urology this year as an IMG.

lol....so much talk about peepee......it makes sense...you gonna be a urologist!

By the way..I also took the IMG route rather than DO.

Taus said:
reading these kinds of threads is like watching monkeys throw poo at each other....

Who doesn't love monkeys and poo?!?

what is an IMG? sorry i new checking out the caribbean sites for my gf.

Shah_Patel_PT said:

"This group is likely to be the best prepared academically among those who began their medical education abroad, given that they completed the off-shore school's requirements for graduation, successfully cleared the ECFMG hurdles, and were accepted for residency training.

Given the inconvenience, expense, and uncertainty of success associated with attending an offshore medical school, students who choose this path to become a physician are likely to be deeply motivated."

Full article is here:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march06/word.htm

I think the above statement is a good one. A student that is willing to go to some island thousands away from civilization is very motivated. The problem i have with this thread is that I have never seen it in the DO section. We don't compare ourselves with IMG's ... Foriegn medical school has never crossed our minds.. I am starting DO school in 6 weeks and never even considered carribean medical school. I am a good student with good numbers so why would i?. I think that the students attending carribean schools feel inadequate so they try to bring DOs down.. Well, DO schools are american medical schools and you IMG's will have to live with the fact that no one in their right mind would ever choose a carribean school over any school in the united states.. At last to leave on a good note, yes if you can complete a curriculum so far from civilization then it showes that you are motivated to be a doctor.. However that motivation obviously never kicked in while you were in college..

tucomnvms1 said:
I think the above statement is a good one. A student that is willing to go to some island thousands away from civilization is very motivated. The problem i have with this thread is that I have never seen it in the DO section. We don't compare ourselves with IMG's ... Foriegn medical school has never crossed our minds.. I am starting DO school in 6 weeks and never even considered carribean medical school. I am a good student with good numbers so why would i?. I think that the students attending carribean schools feel inadequate so they try to bring DOs down.. Well, DO schools are american medical schools and you IMG's will have to live with the fact that no one in their right mind would ever choose a carribean school over any school in the united states.. At last to leave on a good note, yes if you can complete a curriculum so far from civilization then it showes that you are motivated to be a doctor.. However that motivation obviously never kicked in while you were in college..

The motivation was always there the fact is that many felt that if a patient walks into your clinic the last thing you need to think abt is SN1 and E2 or calculating parallel resistors in a system. But the main reason for caribb schools is that many do not want to sit around and wait year after year knowing that they are well qualified canidates for med school any where in the country. The Fact is that AAMC admitted that every year thousands of applicants are turned down b/c there are no spots left for them another fact is that only abt half of the applicants are accepted each year to us schools (only ~16,000 seats). Don't make it seem like people who go to caribb schools are losers b/c they didn't try hard enough in undergrad or have scores lower than DO applicants. many of the scores are DO range they just prefer to have an MD instead and yet many are us allopath range. Ross has an alumus who was a nominee for the Nobel sometime back then and many of their alumni are prof at us allopath schools as well as PDs let not forget that SGU and Ross and some other schools have residence matches for derm, neuro, ortho, and etc.. Just b/c they do not want to go DO that doesn't make them inadequate and just b/c the schools are located on US soil or even CAN. soil that doesn't make it a godly almighty If I go to this school then I will be a good doctor school.

tucomnvms1 said:
this very thread you are participating in ( in the caribbean forum no less ) was started by a D.O. trying to bring carib. students down....not vice versa. You don't see IMGs rushing to the DO forums simply because we tend to be happy with our decision to pursue an education abroad, and don't feel the need to berate and belittle others chosen paths. If I learned anything of substance during behavioral science, it was probably that those who do feel the need to berate and belittle ( read as 'the OP' ) are usually the ones acting from a position of inferiority or, as you put it "inadequacy".
I suspect that you are correct when you assert that many of us could have worked harder in undergrad. I also suspect this is true of many in DO schools who used it as a backup plan to an allopathic school. In fact, I have friends who will openly admit to this ( one at Midwestern, another at Nova), although now they are happy with their decision and tend to laugh about it. You see young grasshopper, in the end we all get the white coats, and the massive debt, and the indentured servitude formally known as residency, and the only ones who care about the particulars are the very ones starting threads like this one. ( a D.O. in a carib. forum ). I wish you every success in medical school. Good luck.

Taus said:

exactly. What about unbiased opinion?

never mind that this thread is just rediculous.

It exists because the choice is always there. I've met students with decent gpas and mcat scores who are more than capable of getting into a DO school, but don't.

Don't stratify yourself by saying DO is better than IMG/carib/whatever. Its a rediculous notion. I don't say it because I hate DO or believe I have to inflat my self esteem and notion of worthiness to feel accomplished and respected.

I say it because when I had the choice I looked at my options. Each choice carries a stigma. Each choice has its own risks. Its a judgement call for each individual.

The debate is really about 2 things when IMG is compared to DO.

1) MD vs DO. Which 2 letters would you rather have behind your name?

2) Studying 2 years or 4 years in america (generalized).

Going the DO route also puts you on a fast track for primary care fields. Doesn't mean you have to do that, but that is their focus and intention. I've read all about DOs in America and ATS . I would like to think I knows as much as anyone about the past and development of osteopathic medicine, except for those DO students who I believe have to take a course on it.
I've spoken with many DO students and physicians. You don't have to go primary care, its just more difficult.

Going international opens up other roads for certain people. Part of them don't want to be associated with osteopathic medicine. Many go into primary care fields because its easier and the spots are plentiful. Also we have to fight some similar stigma to get those better spots, that our pedigree is not as well toned as that of an allopathic institution in america.

So everyone can throw mud all you like at each other, but you're still fighting to stay atop a small pedistool that really is nothing to be proud of. Medicine is about who is the top dawg. Anything less than that is irrelevant.

good day

-bevo

tucomnvms1 said:

Hello friend. You are sadly mistaken with several things you have said. First, you have good grades so why would you go Caribbean? Foreign medical school has never crossed OUR minds? You are so full of yourself and you are being extremely judgemental. Using your logic, I could say that many DO's feel inadequate and feel they have to justify their degree in comparison to MD's, but I would not be that ignorant. As far as statistics and grades, you should really cover all bases before making such blanket statements that all caribbean schools have students with low numbers. St. Georges matriculating class has an avg GPA of 3.35 and science GPA of 3.23. The avg MCAT is a 26, which is better than many DO schools. Check it out for yourself:
http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Medicine/MedDemographics2005.htm#ApplicantsProfile
You sound like you need to be less self-righteous and more informed

Medicine is about helping people...not being top dawg! All this conversation about IMG MD vs DO is really ridiculous. Everyone needs to step back and rethink why you are in this very privileged profession of medicine. I suppose that those who continue to compare their diplomas are more interested in the grand esteem and honor that comes with being called doctor. I wish everyone would drop all the bull**** and realize that one day you may be working next to an IMG or a DO or an AMG trying to save the life of someones mother/father/brother/sister who does not give a **** what your diploma says....they only care that you are able to help their loved ones.

Only the wounded and belittled dog screams. Wake up people. I am proud to be able to participate in changing the lives of others through the practice of medicine. You should all be proud...and feel honored to be put in this position.

Bevo said:
never mind that this thread is just rediculous.

It exists because the choice is always there. I've met students with decent gpas and mcat scores who are more than capable of getting into a DO school, but don't.

Don't stratify yourself by saying DO is better than IMG/carib/whatever. Its a rediculous notion. I don't say it because I hate DO or believe I have to inflat my self esteem and notion of worthiness to feel accomplished and respected.

I say it because when I had the choice I looked at my options. Each choice carries a stigma. Each choice has its own risks. Its a judgement call for each individual.

The debate is really about 2 things when IMG is compared to DO.

1) MD vs DO. Which 2 letters would you rather have behind your name?

2) Studying 2 years or 4 years in america (generalized).

Going the DO route also puts you on a fast track for primary care fields. Doesn't mean you have to do that, but that is their focus and intention. I've read all about DOs in America and ATS . I would like to think I knows as much as anyone about the past and development of osteopathic medicine, except for those DO students who I believe have to take a course on it.
I've spoken with many DO students and physicians. You don't have to go primary care, its just more difficult.

Going international opens up other roads for certain people. Part of them don't want to be associated with osteopathic medicine. Many go into primary care fields because its easier and the spots are plentiful. Also we have to fight some similar stigma to get those better spots, that our pedigree is not as well toned as that of an allopathic institution in america.

So everyone can throw mud all you like at each other, but you're still fighting to stay atop a small pedistool that really is nothing to be proud of. Medicine is about who is the top dawg. Anything less than that is irrelevant.

good day

-bevo

medicine just isn't about helping people. Its a career. We need deeply fulfilling selfish goals to do this.

I've got goals, I've got dislikes and likes when it comes to medicine. Overall, yeah the ultimate goal is to provide care and help to the general population. I'd like to choose in which manner I do this that also fulfills my areas of interest.

Not everyone wants to be that primary doc, the one on the front lines who spends a majority of their time with patients and can create deep and lasting relationships. I'm not one of those.

My interest is in radiology. So when the debate about top dawg comes around for residency it is a big deal. I've been told to my face that I would not match into a certain program because I was not trained from an american allopathic school. Nothing else mattered to them. Do I care? a little. Its just 1 of 167? radiology programs. But I won't really give them 2 thoughts unless the other 166 tell me no.

But my main point is, residency and program directors might not care about your sex, skin color, weight, the way you part your hair, etc But some care a lot about where you went to school, thats why this discussion has some merit, its just discussed incorrectly.

Residency selection time is the only time when pointless discussions about this crap actually matter. We each have our own dreams and we want to see them come to fruition. To be withheld from a spot because you couldn't or did not want to attend an allopathic school is horrible.

But program directors are the ones who decide which is better for them: DO or IMG.
Everyone can discuss it till their blue in the face, but it won't solve anything. Its a local decision made by each program. Each candidate from DO and IMG will have to test the waters on their own and see where they can find some land.

Don't kid yourself about just helping others. Medicine is about ego as well. Just talk to any doctor doing research, any medical school residency applicant, any pre-medical school applicant, etc. We all want to be the best and be our best. Its part of what makes us unique. Its what drives us all to succeed, to suffer the pain and joy? of doing 4 years of medical school, 3 licensing exams and who knows how many years of post-graduate training. If I just wanted to help someone, I could have been a nurse or a PA or a med tech or something else.

Being a doctor is about being "the man". Making decisions and being responsible for your actions and those under you. You only get that when you earn a doctorate of medicine.

The whole carib MD vs. DO battle is completely ridiculous. It's a competition for 2nd place! The only people who choose either of these routes are the ones who did not get into a US allopathic school. There are those few DO students who claim they got into an allopathic school and chose to go DO too. What a bunch of tree hugging nature loving weirdos they are. Chances are its a bunch of crap they got into an allopathic school. And if they did, they wouldnt fit in anyways.

Who am I to say this? Well I am a carib IMG and my wife is a DO. Both of us only went these routes because we didnt get into allopathic schools. We are both board certified anesthesiologists. How much OMM does she do? None! She's the first to admit its a bunch of baloney (Midwestern U grad). The only reason she chose DO was that DO schools had better financial aid programs available to her. She didnt have the family financial support I did to go the caribbean route.

Also, when it came to looking for jobs, it was a heck of a lot easier for me (caribbean MD) to find one than for my wife. The reason is that some hospitals (west coast) or physician groups (especially non-primary care groups) prefer to have all MD members despite the fact we are both board certified.

Bottom line is that carib MD vs US DO is a silly race for 2nd place. Both are 2nd choices. Now if it is that important for you to place DOs in 2nd and carib MD 3rd so that you can feel better about yourself, well you must really be a pathetic person.

To everyone else... either way you go, good luck. The goal is to be a good doctor and find satisfaction in the field you choose.

Ya know... initially I wrote a long blurp defending the honor and integrity of being in the profession of medicine- in response to your idiotic claim "medicine is about being the man". But, I had to delete it and end my participation in this...

my grandfather once gave me this great advice through a story- i think it fits for this situation.

"One day as I was driving down the street I saw 2 men arguing. One was an idiot and the other was not. Can you tell me which one was the idiot?"

Take care man- good luck with radiology.

PGY2 said:
The whole carib MD vs. DO battle is completely ridiculous. It's a competition for 2nd place! The only people who choose either of these routes are the ones who did not get into a US allopathic school. There are those few DO students who claim they got into an allopathic school and chose to go DO too. What a bunch of tree hugging nature loving weirdos they are. Chances are its a bunch of crap they got into an allopathic school. And if they did, they wouldnt fit in anyways.

Who am I to say this? Well I am a carib IMG and my wife is a DO. Both of us only went these routes because we didnt get into allopathic schools. We are both board certified anesthesiologists. How much OMM does she do? None! She's the first to admit its a bunch of baloney (Midwestern U grad). The only reason she chose DO was that DO schools had better financial aid programs available to her. She didnt have the family financial support I did to go the caribbean route.

Also, when it came to looking for jobs, it was a heck of a lot easier for me (caribbean MD) to find one than for my wife. The reason is that some hospitals (west coast) or physician groups (especially non-primary care groups) prefer to have all MD members despite the fact we are both board certified.

Bottom line is that carib MD vs US DO is a silly race for 2nd place. Both are 2nd choices. Now if it is that important for you to place DOs in 2nd and carib MD 3rd so that you can feel better about yourself, well you must really be a pathetic person.

To everyone else... either way you go, good luck. The goal is to be a good doctor and find satisfaction in the field you choose.
On a day to day basis how often does your med. school come up in relation to you and your wifes work? ( rhetorical- as I am certain it is almost never)
As Bevo points out, this issue is mainly an issue when it comes to securing residencies. Any wise consumer will be well aware of the various schools match lists prior to enrolling at that institution. In which regard Bevo, you should be able to match rads if you apply broadly. Good luck with that.
And with respect to 1st place , 2nd place etc. this truly is a uniquely american thing. In my home country we have many american students studying there who could not get into their home institutions, who go on to do exceedingly well. They are regarded as "med. students" just like the home students, and the idea of them being somehow inferior is not even entertained. I was flipping casually through a directory yesterday of physicians working at or associated with Childrens memorial hospital ( northwesterns paeds hosp. in chicago), and counted graduates of over 48 different med schools including the US, Ireland, Britain, India, Ross, SGU, university of the west indies, Pakistan,India, Ukraine, Russia, Sweden, Australia, Denmark etc. Seems everything truly does work out in the end.
And while I agree that the DO vs. IMG vs. AMG argument has some merit with respect to difficulties matching and so forth, the manner in which the OP chose to frame the discussion was condescending, and originated from a position not of enlightening but of denigrating and/or openly inviting a pissing contest. That, primarily, is my issue with this particular thread. Peace.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if the MD that you get from caribbean schools is pretty much the SAME thing as the kind from the US. For example, once youve graduated and you start WORKING in which ever field you choose, will you have a tag on you if your from sgu or ross. The reason why I ask is because someone told me that in Texas a while back they stopped letting caribbean med graduates practice for one year. Pretty much, how stable is the MD obtained from the caribbean as opposed to one obtained from the US? Thanks

Hey guys,
I was wondering if the MD that you get from caribbean schools is pretty much the SAME thing as the kind from the US. For example, once youve graduated and you start WORKING in which ever field you choose, will you have a tag on you if your from sgu or ross. The reason why I ask is because someone told me that in Texas a while back they stopped letting caribbean med graduates practice for one year. Pretty much, how stable is the MD obtained from the caribbean as opposed to one obtained from the US? Thanks

you've been misinformed
an MD = MD = MD = MD

You will not get a tag saying you are from any school. There is no asterik. You are a fully certified and capable physician. As long as your school and/or curriculum is approved by the WHO (meaning host country as well) and the specific state approves of you. Then you are eligible to obtain a full MD license like any other american doctor would have to.

I have never heard about that in Texas, from texas. My father is an FMG and has been praciting in texas since 1978(?). He just didn't stop one year because they said so.

Once granted an MD, its yours. No one can take it away from you.
Once you've passed all the STEP exams, done a residency, taken specific speciality boards and gotten approval to practice in a state. ONly way to lose it is if you do something illegal or do some malpractice.

No law will remove your ability to practice because you are trained elsewhere.

Bevo said:
you've been misinformed
an MD = MD = MD = MD

I have never heard about that in Texas, from texas. My father is an FMG and has been praciting in texas since 1978(?). He just didn't stop one year because they said so.

Second that. My parent is also an IMG/FMG and doesn't have a problems practicing at all and no discrimination whatsoever.

I don't know if others are aware, but there is some discrimination that DO's face. But I'm sure if it comes down to it, anyone could face discrimination for whatever reason.

I know several IMGs/FMGs, and they get the same respect from patients, nurses, and other docs that the AMGs get. In fact, the FMGs in general surgery are thought as better docs than the AMGs by most of the nursing staff. I'm not saying FMGs are better than AMGs, I'm just saying that the discrimination you hear about is not as bad as everyone tells you. It gets blown way out of proportion.

This whole thread is beneath anyone who wants to be a DOC.

DO, MD, IMG, FMG, AMG who the heck cares? I know Premeds and Medstudents who think they don't ever smell themselves LOL.

All patients want is a Doc who know what the heck they are doing!

Go back to studying and get better grades, stay in the US for medschool if you can, if you can't get in after that then the Caribbean is here.

:luck:

I smell myself all the time. After a 32 hour shift, you better watch out.

Being in europe at 85 plus degree temps I can't smell myself over most of the people on the subway..but I'm still cautious and have a stick of deo in my bag. Never know.

Being in europe at 85 plus degree temps I can't smell myself over most of the people on the subway..but I'm still cautious and have a stick of deo in my bag. Never know.

Billy Shears said:
I smell myself all the time. After a 32 hour shift, you better watch out.
Yea so do I LOL 85 here in the Carib.

For what it's worth, guys and gals, I've been told be a representitive from the National Residency Match Program (NRMP--allopathic residency match pgm) that, generally speaking, graduates of US medical programs are selected for residency spots before IMG's. I've thrown this up on another similar thread before but I'll do it again here for anyone that hasn't seen it:

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table2_05.pdf

and this is the exact cut-and-paste of the email text:

Please look at the following link for the statistics:

Typically, students from schools in the US are more desirable for US
programs.

Regards,
NRMP Staff

So it seems it's somewhat more difficult to match as an IMG vs. DO. That being said, once you do match somewhere it doesn't matter where you went to school because everyone in the program should be similarly prepared and competant...after all that's why you matched in the first place. What degree you have does have an affect on matching residencies. After that, however, it no longer makes a difference.

AngryBaby said:
For what it's worth, guys and gals, I've been told be a representitive from the National Residency Match Program (NRMP--allopathic residency match pgm) that, generally speaking, graduates of US medical programs are selected for residency spots before IMG's. I've thrown this up on another similar thread before but I'll do it again here for anyone that hasn't seen it:

and this is the exact cut-and-paste of the email text:

Please look at the following link for the statistics:

Typically, students from schools in the US are more desirable for US
programs.

Regards,
NRMP Staff

So it seems it's somewhat more difficult to match as an IMG vs. DO. That being said, once you do match somewhere it doesn't matter where you went to school because everyone in the program should be similarly prepared and competant...after all that's why you matched in the first place. What degree you have does have an affect on matching residencies. After that, however, it no longer makes a difference.

Yea Yea, so they want you to admit to discrimination out in the open, Uh it's illegal in the good old USA last time I checked and if the NRMP can be sued for such a policy. If you have to equally qualified canaidates and the only diff is where they grad from well thats discrimination any way you cut it.

Anyway I don't believe all this stuff too much since I already prematched from the Carib.

Good luck to all. :idea:

Let me start off by saying that I'm going to a d.o. school, and not because I was using it as a backup but rather because I'm interested in the osteopathic ritual. I think the OP clearly has insecurities about being a d.o., and such a post is clearly ridiculous and unnecessary. I think that the caribbean is an excellent option, and some carib grads match up very well compared to any american medical graduate. (allo or osteo). People who weren't as fortunate as I was to get into U.S. medical schools-evaluate your options-is d.o. something you can live with? or do you need MD ? The question shouldn't be that of where you get the education, but the letters behind your name, if you answer yes to question one, than stay in the u.s. and go to a d.o. school, if it's two than go abroad. Don't look at other people's numbers-your residency application is in your own hands, and don't base your probability of getting into a particular residency on other people's experiences. The probabilities of the two aren't linked and they are independent events. Best of luck.

btw someone needs to kick this op in the balls.