If not podiatry, what else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1093615

If not podiatry, what else?
Ive Often thought about leaving for computer science which was my original major in undergrad. recently Though it looks like those types of jobs are experiencing lay offs and people are struggling to find work.
other health professions have there pros and cons. The dental program that’s here at my school as well is 100k a year for tuition alone. No I’m not exaggerating. DO program is around 85K a year.
so my question to everyone is if they had to choose a profession other than podiatry, what would it be? It doesn’t even need to be healthcare related.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any fed jobs we as podiatrists can transition into besides the VA that has a decent salary (150k+)?

I would not do anything related to healthcare, and I would do something that avoided interpersonal contact as much as possible. I would invent something that everyone needed then get bought out by a much larger company for millions of dollars just like seemingly everyone around me is doing.

Wakes up. Goes back to working like a jerk.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not do anything related to healthcare, and I would do something that avoided interpersonal contact as much as possible. I would invent something that everyone needed then get bought out by a much larger company for millions of dollars just like seemingly everyone around me is doing.

Wakes up. Goes back to working like a jerk.
Shows how powerful RN degree is. Know someone whose family member was an LPN and went back several years to ago get an RN. Has 2, yes 2 full time remote jobs at the same and has never has touched one patient with RN. One of the jobs is disability paperwork.

RN.....become NP, CRNA

RN....get MHA/MBA and go into management

RN....work 2 full time remote jobs at same time and never deal with a patient.

RN....travel and make bank

RN....start young, get a signing bonus and get a good job with a pension, retire young and work a little part time if you want more fun money

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Shows how powerful RN degree is. Know someone whose family member was an LPN and went back several years to ago get RN. Has 2, yes 2 full time remote jobs at same and never has seen one patient with RN. One of the jobs is disability paperwork.

RN.....become NP, CRNA

RN....get MHA/MBA and go into management

RN....work 2 full time remote jibs at same time and never deal with a patient

RN....travel and make bank

RN....start young, get a signing bonus and get a good job with a pension, retire young and work a little part time if want more fun money
The health care world is designed for MDs/DOs and RNs. Recently my job posted a Chief Quality Officer role... it asked for a MD/DO or RN.

The health care world is designed for MDs/DOs and RNs. Recently my job posted a Chief Quality Officer role... it asked for a MD/DO or RN.
It is almost like there is a union and we are not members. The VA has recently allowed podiatrists to be eligible for many management positions, but they are the exception.

It is almost like there is a union and we are not members. The VA has recently allowed podiatrists to be eligible for many management positions, but they are the exception.
It's probably more like the position is created by some comittee and they're trying to figure out the credentials of whoever they're looking for and then someone across the table says "Oh any doctor or nurse is fine, on to the next agenda item." They're not thinking about podiatrist or audiologists or any other allied health pro. So then the position is officially created with such and such qualifications, and it takes another comittee meeting to addend it to say MD DO or DPM.

And no, the solution to this problem is not to open more schools to increase awareness of the profession.

It's probably more like the position is created by some comittee and they're trying to figure out the credentials of whoever they're looking for and then someone across the table says "Oh any doctor or nurse is fine, on to the next agenda item." They're not thinking about podiatrist or audiologists or any other allied health pro. So then the position is officially created with such and such qualifications, and it takes another comittee meeting to addend it to say MD DO or DPM.

And no, the solution to this problem is not to open more schools to increase awareness of the profession.
I've found it depends on what is in the bylaws. It would take changes at that level before other people are let in. At my old gig podiatrists were still allied health and allied health people could not seat on committees, vote in meetings or hold offices. In the bylaws there were roles carved out for MDs and RNs. I was allowed to attend by courtesy. I was listed as medical staff by courtesy. Supposedly they were changing the bylaws. But I left before that happened.

A couple of friends of mine work at the hospital and have administrative duties. Since they’re so short staffed with nurses the contract they’re reviewing for new RN hires guarantees a 200% wage increase after three years. An RN straight out of training could make in the $200Ks after three years! Imagine celebrating your 21st birthday with a $10,000 paycheck.

As I have said countless times part of the reason podiatry is a questionable career choice is not because it has gotten worse, in many ways it is slightly or even considerably better than years past. The job market sucks, but it has always been that way.

The reason not to go into podiatry is because so many career choices that require so much less time/debt have gotten so much better.

There is still a draw for some for podiatry. Some are just set on being a doctor/surgeon and are sure they will be one of the top 20 percent in this profession doing lots of surgery and making $$$. For many of them perhaps their MCAT was real poor and/or with mediocre science grades at a community college. For the students that can go DO or a million other directions, it is a decision to really think about. I would think most could at least go at least go RN, so for almost all really it is a decision to really think about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

I am not just talking volunteer type position, but also employed positions of being in charge of other doctors/nurses, services etc. The VA now allows this for podiatrists, but you don't see it too often elsewhere.

If I were them I wouldn't leave Podiatry(due to the advantage of giving med prescription) but would rather engage also in extra programs like Optometry because in some states they can do cosmetic optometry like double eyelid surgery(common with Asian patients), chalization, buttocks for patients w/ ptosis, etc. The MD Plastic Surgeons & MD Opthalmologists usually protest about turf competition but nevermind their protests, just focus on yourself making livelihood so adding such services along with a Podiatry clinic is beneficial. Trichology and Anaplastology is also a good additional credential, hair transplant isn't exclusive for MD Dermatologist since there is no law regulating Trichology yet while Anaplastology is in-demand because some people need a prosthetic ear or other missing parts of their body needs to be covered by silicone prosthetics.
•Furthermore, an Audiologist can clean ears with OTC drugs like carbamide peroxide solution and they can perform ear MRI scans but interpretation of radiographs is done by an MD ENT, although if you had a Chiropractic degree with completed residency in Radiology + Neurology then you may give interpretational diagnosis for every ear MRI scan since the law on the scope of Chiropractors with residency on Radiology allows them to perform Diagnostic Radiology from head to toe. A podiatrist who's also an Audiologist would likely give antibiotics to a patient with ear pus discharge since antibiotics works for the whole body and providing med prescription is among the perks of a Podiatrist.
•Bonus is taking a Medical Physics Residency(if you had previous MS Physics degree) and Radiation Dosimetrist program too which is a good advantage for dual degree graduates DC Radiologist & ND who finished residency in Oncology since they can work temporarily at an MD Radiation Oncologist's clinic and see how radiation therapy is performed to help in planning & executing alternative treatment under the care of such DC-ND.
•Also, Veterinary Dentistry can be done by a non-DVM in some states who attained certification but usually under the supervision of a DVM so you can collab with a fresh graduate DVM who doesn't have money yet to build his/her clinic and since some veterinary dental procedures require anesthesia hence you need a DVM partner unless you plan to use accupunture to temporarily numb the animal's teeth. Veterinary Accupuncture is offered by some schools even to non-DVM. Equine Podiatry(farrier) is also a high demand and a certification is the usual requirement to become one.
Lastly, even though you left your Computer Science major, you should make use of the knowledge you learned there like make an app to market your services.
In any profession, you have to apply streetsmart ways to meet your daily living expenses and to be successful too. 🙂
I ain’t got time for all that

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pt: what's the best type of shoe?
Me: ugh...I dunno
Pt: no I meant horseshoe for my horse.
Me: oh, interesting question

• Haha
I still like your Australia-American Samoa-Utah career move. Could be the greatest podiatry story every if someone pulled it off.

I trimmed a lady's goats hooves yesterday. Way overgrown. She posted a request for someone to help her since her husband died and could do it herself. Showed and this is legit the largest goat I have ever seen. Like the size of donkey. It's been two years since they were done. I have done mini goats before as well as my sheep, but this was next level. Fortunately as a surgically trained (non fellowship) human farrier, I was able to do a pretty great job. That is a happy goat.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I trimmed a lady's goats hooves yesterday. Way overgrown. She posted a request for someone to help her since her husband died and could do it herself. Showed and this is legit the largest goat I have ever seen. Like the size of donkey. It's been two years since they were done. I have done mini goats before as well as my sheep, but this was next level. Fortunately as a surgically trained human farrier, I was able to do a pretty great job. That is a happy goat.
11721-22

• Haha
No, I'm not a bot. I am born to an Asian mom and Hispanic Dad. I experienced working 3 jobs that's why I answered the main question in this thread so that I can help give ideas how to not limit oneself in 1 career field to survive financially.
I'm new in this forum site. Just tiny bit info about me: During my pre-pod years, I had a classmate before who's a distant relative of Dr. Rogers @diabeticfootdr
During my pre-pod years, I had a classmate before who's a distant relative of Dr. Rogers

Guess Dr. Rogers is kind of a big deal.

• Haha
During my pre-pod years, I had a classmate before who's a distant relative of Dr. Rogers

Guess Dr. Rogers is kind of a big deal.
Well I had a whole class filled with distant relatives of Dr. Rogers. It was organic chem. It was a class of 6 people and I was the only non relative… 🥴

• Haha
For the record, I would like to go ahead and trademark the term human-farrier™️

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
First, I didn't mention Australia.
Second, you didn't read American Samoa's law which can be found at their territory's website, that's why you think it's a mere story. 🤦‍♀️ Kindly read their law at asbar•org which contains American Samoa's Health Practitioners law. They are lacking physicians that's why they accept even overseas trained physicians.
Regarding Utah's law on licensing for podiatrist by reciprocity, it's indicated on their website, (at page 2, highlighted in gray) https://dopl.utah.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/endorsement-to-utah-podiatric-physician.pdf
Of course I didn't read it because I am not interested enough in your claim to dispute it, and prefer to believe that someone out there is willing to traipse across the Pacific ocean for the dream of practicing podiatry in mainland United States. Truly the greatest podiatry story ever told

• Haha
I trimmed a lady's goats hooves yesterday. Way overgrown. She posted a request for someone to help her since her husband died and could do it herself. Showed and this is legit the largest goat I have ever seen. Like the size of donkey. It's been two years since they were done. I have done mini goats before as well as my sheep, but this was next level. Fortunately as a surgically trained (non fellowship) human farrier, I was able to do a pretty great job. That is a happy goat.
When I went back to DMU for my graduation, we stayed with a family friend on their farm for a couple of days. They had all sorts of farm animals and I offered to help out as a way of saying "Thank you" for letting us stay there for that time. One thing we did was trimming their goats hooves. I remember thinking as a newly minted graduate, holding those nail nippers, how oddly familiar it all felt.

This is what Dwight Schrute would post if he were an SDN DPM.

Just read a post on the podiatry subreddit from an upcoming student beginning to question whether they should go to pod school or not. They cite SDN as sowing the seeds of doubt. Doing gods work over here.

• Love
I'd do engineering or computer science. Maybe start a small business of some sort.

Planning to pay back all my student loans ($40k undergrad and $240k podiatry, not counting interests) in a few years and quit podiatry all together. I've had enough and it's time to start something new.

Just read a post on the podiatry subreddit from an upcoming student beginning to question whether they should go to pod school or not. They cite SDN as sowing the seeds of doubt. Doing gods work over here.
Podiatry sub reddit? Great now I have to be on reddit even more

Podiatry sub reddit? Great now I have to be on reddit even more

"The successful, happy docs aren’t on Reddit or SDN, they’re out in the real world getting real work done."

The real work is telling people not to enter a field that cant even fill seats in its school. As one poster said on that threat they had to move to rural mountain west. I don't think a MD/DO/DPM/PA/NP has that struggle along with how they are going to repay debt in a garbage job market offered pennies on the dollar.

"The successful, happy docs aren’t on Reddit or SDN, they’re out in the real world getting real work done."

The real work is telling people not to enter a field that cant even fill seats in its school. As one poster said on that threat they had to move to rural mountain west. I don't think a MD/DO/DPM/PA/NP has that struggle along with how they are going to repay debt in a garbage job market offered pennies on the dollar.
For the record you can make a lot of money in rural mountain west....

The main problem is the job market/saturation.
Once one gets a good job, the main negative aspect of this profession has been removed.

There is the fear of what one would do if their job is eliminated. One often has to remain geographically open for good jobs or create their own good job by opening a practice. Finally expect to stay in private practice your whole career there are fee academic or administrative jobs.

Do most eventually make at least the average salary in this profession? I would say yes and some are doing very, very well. A surprising number still have to open their own office. There is a big difference between WANT to and HAVE to open an office to make more money.

Are there a fair amount that never do well enough to have a good ROI? I would say yes. The ceiling may be high for podiatry, but the basement is pretty low also. There are some jobs that pay less than a respectable salary that many take for one reason or another. There are not enough good jobs out there. Some get a get good job initially, a few more get a good job eventually and most eventually do better bouncing around a couple times at different jobs (often requiring a move each time) and finally find one with buy in opportunity or they open their own office.

What rubs salt in the wound is to see just how aggressively many other healthcare fields are being recruited with signing bonuses, excellent benefits and similar opportunities across the street also if they don't like their current job for some reason and want to change. Podiatry was never invited to that party.

Last edited:
The main problem is the job market/saturation.
Once one gets a good job, the main negative aspect of this profession has been removed.

There is the fear of what one would do if their job is eliminated. One often has to remain geographically open for good jobs or create their own good job by opening a practice. Finally expect to stay in private practice your whole career there are fee academic or administrative jobs.

Do most eventually make at least the average salary in this profession? I would say yes and some are doing very, very well. A surprising number still have to open their office. There is a big difference between WANT to and HAVE to open an office to make more money.

Are there a fair amount that never do well enough to have a good ROI? I would say yes. The ceiling may be high for podiatry, but the basement is pretty low also. There are some jobs that pay less than a respectable salary that many take for one reason or another. There are not enough good jobs out there. Some get a get good job initially, a few more get a good job eventually and most eventually do better bouncing a round a couple jobs and finally finding one with buy in opportunity or they open their own office.

What rubs salt in the wound is to see just how aggressively many other healthcare fields are being recruited with signing bonuses and excellent benefits. Podiatry was never invited to that party.

My best friend just signed his first contract from a great residency program, he has a huge amount of debt, spent his life in school and being treated like $H!t in residency for 3 years to get a job that pays less than a university grad with some work experience who probably has enough savings now to buy a house, vacation and no debt.

My best friend just signed his first contract from a great residency program, he has a huge amount of debt, spent his life in school and being treated like $H!t in residency for 3 years to get a job that pays less than a university grad with some work experience who probably has enough savings now to buy a house, vacation and no debt.
Yes this is common. We all know that. Many eventually find a way to do better. Some have hometown connections in a non saturated area and get their great job on day one without bouncing around, moving to bear country or doing a fellowship. It is possible, but not the norm.

We come off as complainers if we are too negative. I get that. The bottom line is podiatry is and has always been a make your own opportunity profession, most often by opening your own office or finding a fair buy in somewhere.

When there are so many other healthcare professions in such demand with a safe ROI one should really be aware of the podiatry job market....too many bad associate jobs and too few good organizational jobs. One needs to know that many still open their own offices eventually to get ahead or realistically get to where they should have been day one after residency. Opening an office is not easy or without risks such as bankruptcy.

Yeah I mean look, most of us got screwed. Flat out. Podiatry is garbage. The **** we deal with, the time we put in during school, the slave hours in residency (depending on your program obviously), the bs boards, all to make less than a mid level.

Podiatry sucks. No one should do it. If you think you’re the exception, then go buy a lottery ticket instead.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah I mean look, most of us got screwed. Flat out. Podiatry is garbage. The **** we deal with, the time we put in during school, the slave hours in residency (depending on your program obviously), the bs boards, all to make less than a mid level.

Podiatry sucks. No one should do it. If you think you’re the exception, then go buy a lottery ticket instead.
The NP/PA base guarantee in my area is 150k base with wRVU production incentives...let that sink in
No minimum wRVU, 401k match, no call, health insurance for family, minimum 4 weeks off a year, CME allowance...let it sink in deep

PA 2 years ROI --> 150k right away and up to 200k+ with production bonuses. Stuff gets crazy and you can punt to the MD/DO. No weekend calls from patients unless you want to take call. Can work side gig in local urgent care to make extra cash.
DPM 7 (8 if fellowship) years ROI --> I had offers low as 80k out of training to 200s range if get lucky with a MSG/Hospital. Unpaid call likely with add on foot pus a few days on your call week. Rounding at lunch or after clinic wasting time finding wound VAC supplies and nurses calling you at midnight saying the machine is beeping. Weekend calls from disaster patients or the ED.

On a side note I think unpaid call should be illegal. Imagine taking unpaid call in private practice, canceling clinic early to see a open fracture or gas gangrene uninsured patient and waiting until 9pm to do the case. Lose money in clinic, lose time with your family and get paid zero dollars to follow this patient for 90 days after surgery losing money on clinic supplies and office visits. If you take unpaid call on uninsured patients please educate me on the economics behind it if you are not on a RVU structure or have residents/associates to round for you.

Ortho in my area gets 2k a day to take call...Podiatry get paid nothing yet many of the DM2 ankle fractures and other trauma gets pushed to them on top of the pus...sink in deeeeeeep.

On another side note I think anything related to DM2 infections should have a zero day global. I talked to one of the cardiology docs once and he laughed when I told him we have 90 day globals on most of the procedures we do. They do heart valves and stents, many other procedures with 0 day globals he said. Also mentioned unpaid call and he said you would be crazy to do that yet that's what many in the field do.

Before you go into Podiatry shadow many different professions. Make sure its what you want. If you are willing to work hard and hustle you will probably be okay, but the ROI is going to be even more abysmal and with 2 new schools increasing competition for elite residency positions and the coveted MSG/Hospital positions.

• Haha
As one poster said on that threat they had to move to rural mountain west.
How in the hell is living in the rural mountain west a negative thing??? It should be a life goal.

Here I am six years ago, pretending to pick out the patch of land where I can retire:
1682024642226.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users