If not podiatry, what else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1093615

Ive Often thought about leaving for computer science which was my original major in undergrad. recently Though it looks like those types of jobs are experiencing lay offs and people are struggling to find work.
other health professions have there pros and cons. The dental program that’s here at my school as well is 100k a year for tuition alone. No I’m not exaggerating. DO program is around 85K a year.
so my question to everyone is if they had to choose a profession other than podiatry, what would it be? It doesn’t even need to be healthcare related.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
RN associate degree with minimal debt -> learn how to save and invest -> make $$$ ->save and invest -> [BS RN or CRNA optional] -> :)

It's all a function of how much you save (%) vs how much you make/spend.
Debt is the most insidious form of slavery.

Any of the MD, DDS, etc jobs are a very significant time/debt investment during some prime life years. ENT, derm, Cards, etc with many quick procedures and little or no call and most docs working in PP (so, basically the toughest MD matches) are generally best of the bunch if you want to go that long schooling route... but they're also basically closed to most ppl due to lack of aptitude.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finance, Tech, some bs Marketing/Media job....basically anything that pays 6 figures and lets you work remotely

Reactions: 3 users
ER physician all day. I think I missed my calling. When youre on youre on. When youre off youre off. Still get to get dirty/hands on (trauma, stroke, etc). Exciting job. I think I would love it.

I would hate all the delegating and trying to get XYZ specialty to accept a consult. That would be awful. Not as awful as cutting toenails though.

Reactions: 2 users
Travel RN. I wonder if ACFAS ABPM CPME AACPM realize a travel RN makes boat loads more $$$ than majority of DPM grads. They get a living stipend as well.

Our fellowship trained podiatrists should instead write a research paper in JFAS comparing if fellowship salary will outpace a travel RN salary.

Reactions: 5 users
Travel RN. I wonder if ACFAS ABPM CPME AACPM realize a travel RN makes boat loads more $$$ than majority of DPM grads. They get a living stipend as well.

Our fellowship trained podiatrists should instead write a research paper in JFAS comparing if fellowship salary will outpace a travel RN salary.
Benefits and higher taxes take the total compensation down. But I agree!

I have a sister who is a nurse. During 2020 covid crazyness when there were no nurses she could have made 240k a year (It was actually 60k quarterly/20k a month with 3 month contract) as a nurse working four 12 hour shifts as a 1099. Thats insane especially when she probably makes 60-80k as a RN in her normal job working med surg.

Of course they realize. The mustache crew is trying their best to cover this up and continue the flow of associate slave labor.

Plumber or electrician. Would need to be smart about being frugal or starting a business. Trick would be building a nest egg before there is to much wear and tear on the body.

Plumber or electrician. Would need to be smart about being frugal or starting a business. Trick would be building a nest egg before there is to much wear and tear on the body.
I don't think people realize how many millionaires are out there who own their own HVAC, plumbing, electrician etc business. And they are getting ready to retire. The hot new thing is the Ivy leage grad/MBA types buying these businesses and running them instead of going into investment banking.

You really have consider the ROI. RNs making this kind of money is a recent thing.
Do the math. Become an PA. You can probably start at 6 figures with signing bonus and loan repayment etc. While you are getting paid 6 figures you can easily work extra hard for 10 years picking up weekend shifts. No worse than the hours put in for podiatry school and residency. Your house is paid off, investments healthy etc and you are still relatively young. If you work someplace and they have a good pension even better. RN is a good option for years to come also. You can travel and make bank or work you way up with MHA/MBA and make 6 figures in management or become a NP or CRNA also.

Or……you can make 100K with little to no benefits and owe 300K in loans as a podiatrist. Yes, some will make 300-400K or more and in that case you can eventually catch up, but that is no guarantee.

I would have never, never ever of considered PA or RN when I I went to podiatry school. Things have really changed now. I think I would have tried for DO and if that did not work out, I would have most likely become a PA or possibly RN then gone on for NP or CRNA. For students applying now the ROI and ability to find so many good jobs as a mid level is hard to ignore.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think people realize how many millionaires are out there who own their own HVAC, plumbing, electrician etc business. And they are getting ready to retire. The hot new thing is the Ivy leage grad/MBA types buying these businesses and running them instead of going into investment banking.
Know of a plumber that owns a business and has a racing boat/crew etc and is on the professional racing boat circuit as a hobby.

Reactions: 4 users
Know of a plumber that owns a business and has a racing boat/crew etc and is on the professional racing boat circuit as a hobby.

Subtle way of telling us that he’s filthy rich

Has anybody thought of leaving podiatry to sell tchotchkes on eBay/etsy?

Ive Often thought about leaving for computer science which was my original major in undergrad. recently Though it looks like those types of jobs are experiencing lay offs and people are struggling to find work.
other health professions have there pros and cons. The dental program that’s here at my school as well is 100k a year for tuition alone. No I’m not exaggerating. DO program is around 85K a year.
so my question to everyone is if they had to choose a profession other than podiatry, what would it be? It doesn’t even need to be healthcare related.

There is huge layoffs in tech but not for engineers/computer scientist at the level the media makes it sound. My wife signed a contract for 190k with a computer science working from home. The company actually wants her to come into the office 1-2 times a week now but they're willing to give her 2 additional weeks of vacation for a total of 6 weeks and an additional 30k. She's more than doubling my salary that I will be coming out as an attending on and she's getting 2-3 times the vacation I'd get while working less hours and not having to take call.

There is huge layoffs in tech but not for engineers/computer scientist at the level the media makes it sound. My wife signed a contract for 190k with a computer science working from home. The company actually wants her to come into the office 1-2 times a week now but they're willing to give her 2 additional weeks of vacation for a total of 6 weeks and an additional 30k. She's more than doubling my salary that I will be coming out as an attending on and she's getting 2-3 times the vacation I'd get while working less hours and not having to take call.

So when people say podiatry is a hidden gem in medicine do they actually mean a buried turd? Like one man’s trash is another man’s treasure?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Tech salaries are great for CS and engineers, especially considering the stock options. The layoffs are happening in many tech sectors as a result of over hiring during the pandemic.

Most tech people I know would change jobs every couple years to chase higher salaries. Now they’re focusing on stability.

The grass does tend to be greener on the other side. My tech friends are envious of how passionate I am about the work I do. Working as a surgical podiatrist for a hospital system is probably the best job in healthcare, in my opinion.

So when people say podiatry is a hidden gem in medicine do they actually mean a buried turd? Like one man’s trash is another man’s treasure?
Tbh I think we probably pretty good compared to most jobs but not a lot of college/advanced educated jobs.

Tbh I think we probably pretty good compared to most jobs but not a lot of college/advanced educated jobs.
This 100 percent, but you should compare podiatry to other similar type jobs. When you do that objectively podiatry is near the bottom.

If you want to talk with qualifiers and hypothetically for the top half of this profession podiatry would be solidly in the middle of all similar type jobs if not for poor job mobility, and if we radically changed supply and demand (not happening) it would easily be near the top. Bottom line is with all things considered you have to currently put podiatry near the bottom.

Even being at the bottom, most will be able to eventually live an upper middle class lifestyle and some will be able to live an upperclass lifestyle. It really helps to have a spouse with a good job also to live like a “doctor” with podiatry.

Last edited:
If I could hit the rewind button and be 18 again, I probably would have done a tour in the military before college. Figure out life, what are my aptitudes and passions, go into college with a better understanding of myself and my fellow humans. Develop some discipline, some skills.

Beyond that it's carte blanche. The steps we take in life are usually a logical progression from where we were yesterday. You don't go from podiatrist to plumber or software engineer or deep sea fisherman without retracing your steps, and that's costly.

I think the reason so many of us are frustrated professionally, aside from job market problems, is that the practice of podiatry is much more banal and tedious than what our education and training would lead us to expect. A lot of us grinding away in clinic have the aptitude to be great surgeons, and those of us who do become great surgeons could probably have put their talents to better use than foot surgery.

Reactions: 7 users
100k/yr tuition sheshhhh

I'd prob become a teacher and part time as male gigolo.

part time as male gigolo.
That's the other thing I could have done when I was 18. Get in better shape, provide body rub services to wealthy older men.

Would it really be all that much more degrading than grinding the toenails of the elderly and obese?

• Haha
Beyond that it's carte blanche. The steps we take in life are usually a logical progression from where we were yesterday. You don't go from podiatrist to plumber or software engineer or deep sea fisherman without retracing your steps, and that's costly.
True that is why myself and others often put out the option being a mid level provider and not a plumber, tech job or boat pilot etc. I have no idea if the typical podiatry student could even get in most mid level provider programs.....I really hope so and if not that is embarrassing .

It is something that most that are considering podiatry should also consider (maybe they are and that is why numbers are down).....if they can get over the podiatry marketing draw of being a doctor/surgeon. Like most marketing it is true/not true all at the same time. Most podiatrists are not in the OR most of the time and we are not as a profession in great demand and an essential healthcare provider like the marketing portrays.

Thanks all for the replies.
‘currently a first year so I think I’m gonna stick it out and focus my efforts on staying at the top of the class.
‘the RN path sounds appealing but I already have 50k debt from first year tuition.

That's the other thing I could have done when I was 18. Get in better shape, provide body rub services to wealthy older men.

Would it really be all that much more degrading than grinding the toenails of the elderly and obese?
hmmm.PNG

Hope?

• Haha
‘currently a first year so I think I’m gonna stick it out and focus my efforts on staying at the top of the class.
‘the RN path sounds appealing but I already have 50k debt from first year tuition.
good luck. maybe by 2035 this will all be worth it for you.

No use crying over spilled milk. Best wishes on the road ahead, wherever it may lead

Working as a surgical podiatrist for a hospital system is probably the best job in healthcare, in my opinion.
Minus my terrible billers (which BTW I won that battle - Can bill procedure and office visit now if first encounter) I agree. Hospital employed is a good gig.

Last edited:
if we radically changed supply and demand (not happening) it would easily be near the top.
It actually kind of is happening. Admissions are at an all time low this cycle. Something like 50% less than usual applications.

Someone better in the know can give a accurate stat but its not good for the schools this cycle.

It actually kind of is happening. Admissions are at an all time low this cycle. Something like 50% less than usual applications.

Someone better in the know can give an accurate stat but its not good for the schools this cycle.
50 percent less is startling if true

This.
I would do something where I (like podiatry) have a skill with my hands. My kids don’t want anything to do with medicine, I tell them all the time that trade school is fine. Do a job that no one wants to do and that everyone needs.

Someone better in the know can give a accurate stat but its not good for the schools this cycle.
50 percent less podiatrists would be a good start. 75 percent less podiatrists would be much better for all to have good training and reasonable jobs.

Lot of good replies.

Would've gone military. Navy or Airforce. Learn how to be disciplined and work hard earlier. Go MD/DO, go surgical specialty.

Other route- engineering, work/manage a race team. Think IMSA, LM GTE, FIA WEC. Still dabble in cars to keep the dream alive and just stay sane

Last edited:
Wow. Podiatry is a great field, BUT... The job market needs improvement and this will help in some capacity.
Probably best year to be joining DPM school. All the bad residencies are going to go unfilled. They will be a well trained, but thin, class.

Or the opposite and they all have a 2.0gpa and desperate schools accept them haha.

Y'all I was a tradesman HVAC...yes, the money is not bad at all and even better if you own. There's always jobs, but lord, you bust your a** for that pay.

In a more upscale neighborhood you can up charge I've seen the most is $300 /hr for plumbing and more if it's an emergency. But it's physically demanding.

I doubt that keeps up but we can hope

Probably best year to be joining DPM school. All the bad residencies are going to go unfilled. They will be a well trained, but thin, class.

Or the opposite and they all have a 2.0gpa and desperate schools accept them haha.
Good year to be joining a DPM school as far as residency training for sure. More will get better residencies and there will at least be better numbers at the mediocre one’s if a slot goes unfilled.

It might take only a couple years of these lower numbers to see a slightly better job market after this class graduates residency, but it will take several years of these lower numbers for a significantly better job market. If these numbers stay like this for 10 years then sure 10 years after this class graduates the job market will look nothing like it has for the last several decades. Better hope these numbers stay down longterm and this is not just one or two years of decreased applicants. Demand has not increased due to diabetes or aging boomers wanting to stay active etc. Lower supply is huge for having more jobs (relatively speaking) that pay well enough to justify the length and cost of training.

PA, CRNA, MD or Assistant Director in the film business.

Y'all I was a tradesman HVAC...yes, the money is not bad at all and even better if you own. There's always jobs, but lord, you bust your a** for that pay.

In a more upscale neighborhood you can up charge I've seen the most is $300 /hr for plumbing and more if it's an emergency. But it's physically demanding.
Sir have you ever cut toenails? Physically and mentally demanding.

After doing this for a few years I think going the biologics or pharm sales rep would have been a good choice. Hardware reps work way too many hours.