If I apply 1~2 years from now, will I have chances at allopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied this past year but didn't get any interviews. I had major flaws including three low MCATs, low verbal scores, and not having permanent residency until January 2012. Yes, I am aware that I am a terrible applicant. But I don't want to give up. For the next 2 years, I will be working a NIH IRTA for 2 years, publish a paper, and spend rest of my time dedicated to reading to improve my verbal score.

My question is, will I have chances at FL MD schools or low tier OOS MD schools, if I score 9~10+ on verbal, 31+ MCAT, continue volunteering/shadowing/mentoring, and get first author publication at NIH?

Here are my stats.

Ethnicity: Asian
Status: FL resident, applied as an international applicant, and green card was issued in January 2012

GPA: 3.72 sGPA, 3.76 cGPA (1 W in non-prereq and 1 C+ in prereq during freshman year)
upward trend: 3.61 Freshman, 3.68 sophomore, 3.74 junior, 3.97 senior
Summa Cum Laude

MCAT:
11 PS, 6VR, 11BS 28Q (Sept/2010) (expire in Sept 2013?)
9 PS, 7VR, 11BS 27M (Jan/2011)
10PS, 7VR, 11BS 28Q (May/2011)
*English is my second language.

Volunteering: (1) Medical: 500+ hours in large and small hospitals since high school, homeless clinic for 3 years, nursing home, hospice, and mission trip
(2) non-medical: Big Bro Big Sis (1 year) and short term volunteerism through club (90 hours)

Leadership: vice president of martial art club (1 year)

Research: (1) 6 months in Entomology, just doing PCR, SDS, and Southern blotting
(2) 2.5 years in Pharmacology, 2nd author pub, poster, and senior thesis
(3) Just started working as a clinical research assistant under the chairman of Neurology Department in UF

Shadowing: Shadowed ER, ENT, Neurologist, Family Practitioner, Pediatrician, and Internist (total 70 hours)

LORs: 1 dean (strong)
1 former dean (strong)
1 p-chem prof (medium)
1 non-science faculty (medium)
1 writing instructor (strong)
*Two deans in Univ Florida COM attempt to defend my low MCAT VR in their LORs.

School and Outcomes
OOS: (accepts internationals)
Albert Einstein
Boston
Eastern Virginia
Jefferson
Loma Linda
NY medical college
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin: made it into primary screening
Tulane
Kentucky
Minnesota Duluth
St. Louis Univ
SUNY Upstate: interview hold

FL schools
FSU: allowed me to submit secondaries
FAU: did not let me apply
FIU: did not let me apply
UF: allowed me to submit secondaries
USF: allowed me to submit secondaries
UCF: did not let me apply
Miami: though allowed me to submit, they discouraged me from applying
Apply DO.

Members don't see this ad.

I see a lot of bad advice in this thread. Less than a 10 verbal does not mean you're done. I know personally of someone with a 27 mcat and a 3.6 gpa that just matriculated to FSU. You think he got a 10 verbal? While your stats are below average for MD id still think you have a shot somewhere with a 28, and if you retake and get a 30-31 your chances are pretty good.

I think being an international held you back the most.

Best advice in thread. Now that you will no longer be considered international, your odds will drastically improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rock the MCAT this time and your FL MD schools might look more kindly upon you. But as of right now, LECOM-Bradenton and NovaCOM would surely take you.

You are right. so in your opinion, if I score 10, will I have chances despite having three low mcat verbal scores? My 9/2010 will expire in 9/2013, but we know that adcoms will see it. I have vastly improved my reading skills and will continue for 1 or 2 years.

Last edited:
Did you talk to the schools and see how they view green card holders?

You're a permanent resident now, so you're considered citizen track. That's not as cut and dry as international.

I got federal aid when I had a green card, so...