ID/CCU combined fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctoraubs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone here has considered/heard of/is participating in a combined Infectious Disease and Critical Care fellowship. These are 3 year programs that seem to essentially combine both specialities, and I was told are becoming increasingly popular. I'm shooting for a career in global health, epidemiology, and disaster management (currently working on a concurrent DO/MPH) and wondering if this would be a helpful stepping stone along the way. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone here has considered/heard of/is participating in a combined Infectious Disease and Critical Care fellowship. These are 3 year programs that seem to essentially combine both specialities, and I was told are becoming increasingly popular. I'm shooting for a career in global health, epidemiology, and disaster management (currently working on a concurrent DO/MPH) and wondering if this would be a helpful stepping stone along the way. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks so much!

There are many threads with this topic and I suspect gutonc May shut you down soon . Anyway the answer is yes many ID fellows do a year of CCM. The key is finding another CCM program to match with as there may not be many (if any) dedicated IDCCM three years out there . None by ERAS anyway . And I’d venture to say most ID CCM docs out there primarily do CCM over ID.

Further if you plan to be a leader in epidemiology you maybe better suited getting one of those NIH research fellowships to go with ID rather than CCM.

There are many threads with this topic and I suspect gutonc May shut you down soon . Anyway the answer is yes many ID fellows do a year of CCM. The key is finding another CCM program to match with as there may not be many (if any) dedicated IDCCM three years out there . None by ERAS anyway . And I’d venture to say most ID CCM docs out there primarily do CCM over ID.

Further if you plan to be a leader in epidemiology you maybe better suited getting one of those NIH research fellowships to go with ID rather than CCM.

Thanks NewYorkDoctors, I realized that right after posting! Silly me. I'll definitely look into NIH research fellowships- it was further down on my list to investigate, so thanks for the tip!!