This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheICUNerd2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am currently an ICU Nurse with about 3 years of nursing experience. I am 24 years old. I am truly confronted with a tremendous decision right now, and that is CRNA or MD.

I have my associate degree in nursing and am in the process of obtaining classes necessary to bridge over to my BSN. However before I begin the core nursing courses, I have to make up my mind as to where I want to go.

If I go the med route, I feel like it would be better to obtain a degree in a hard science as it would help fulfill most of the medical school requisites and prepare me for the MCAT.

I am the type of person that loves learning. I'm a total nerd. I love to know the why and the small details. I'm curious and intrigued by scientific inquiry. I'm humble and know my strengths and limitations.

However I'm so confused... CRNA or MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I am currently an ICU Nurse with about 3 years of nursing experience. I am 24 years old. I am truly confronted with a tremendous decision right now, and that is CRNA or MD.

I have my associate degree in nursing and am in the process of obtaining classes necessary to bridge over to my BSN. However before I begin the core nursing courses, I have to make up my mind as to where I want to go.

If I go the med route, I feel like it would be better to obtain a degree in a hard science as it would help fulfill most of the medical school requisites and prepare me for the MCAT.

I am the type of person that loves learning. I'm a total nerd. I love to know the why and the small details. I'm curious and intrigued by scientific inquiry. I'm humble and know my strengths and limitations.

I think it's time to be completely honest with yourself. Is your interest in the physician route enough to get you through roughly 10 years of schoolwork and training? Does that sound palatable to you? Bear in mind, the CRNA route is much more attainable, less costly and significantly less onerous.

I think you might get more helpful replies if you include a pros/cons list that we can give you feedback for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

On all the threads asking whether to do NP or MD.
Dude, is it your video? Add something personal and relevant to the threads....dropping a 10min youtube video on a crap ton of threads is just spam

Dude, is it your video? Add something personal and relevant to the threads....dropping a 10min youtube video on a crap ton of threads is just spam

Seriously? There are threads asking for advice about nursing school or medical school, etc. Instead of writing a reply, a 10-minute video explaining the differences between reacting like a nurse or thinking like a physician speaks volumes. Just trying to pass along some knowledge and awareness between the different specialities. You chose wisely so relax, but go ahead and report me to the moderator if you think I'm violating the rules.

Last edited:
I think deep down inside, most of us ICU RN's at one point thought about going the CRNA or MD/DO route. Working for ICU for sometime and seeing quite a few of my fellow ICU RN's transition to CRNA or MD/DO, I can say that there were quite a few of them who chose the CRNA route loved it and some ended up not liking the field for various reasons and dropped out of the program. Now for my fellow ICU RN's who choose to go MD/DO (2-MD and 2-DO), last I heard are all still sticking through it and enjoying every bit of it.

Hello everyone!

Where’s the confusion? If you were on allnurses.com, everyone would push CRNA. You know where you are and you already know what you want.