Icom vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD909

Reaction score
Just was wanting to gather peoples thoughts about these two schools and how the programs compare. I've heard good thing about both schools but am leaning more towards ICOM for some of the research opportunities. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

ICOM is a for profit school. The other is not for profit. Generally speaking you want to avoid for profit institutions. For more information read in their respective threads under DO schools 2022-23.

Just was wanting to gather peoples thoughts about these two schools and how the programs compare. I've heard good thing about both schools but am leaning more towards ICOM for some of the research opportunities. Any insights?
What about the location? Do you want warm Texas or Mountainous Idaho?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably the most significant issue for most students is that ICOM students are not eligible for federal aid. Look closely at the tuition information page for both schools. Similar price but loan options are very different.

This is a good read about the for profit vs not for profit issue. For-Profit Medical Schools, Once Banished, Are Sneaking Back
I've actually seen this, and I think the school has received a lot of unnecessary backlash. This was written awhile back and I think in no way is a view on how the school operates. I understand they are for profit but i dont doubt that they are going to offer a great education experience. Their program is different from Burrell and has been super transparent from the start. They have a great staff that really cares for their students. This may not be for everyone but this is honestly people biggest concern when asked about the school and its usually from people that haven't done their research on it.

Probably the most significant issue for most students is that ICOM students are not eligible for federal aid. Look closely at the tuition information page for both schools. Similar price but loan options are very different.
ICOM was just recently accredited and is waiting for their federal school code from the government. They are anticipating that it will be available before classes start this fall.

What about the location? Do you want warm Texas or Mountainous Idaho?
I'm honestly fine with either, I've visited both schools and while ICOM is closer to home and may be a little easier move. I'm wanting to try and compare the programs and see what insights people have.

This looks like it comes down to a location preference. ICOM and UIWSOM both cost 60k, ICOM has slightly higher pass rates, and both have decent match lists with the edge going to ICOM.

ICOM is in meridian/Boise and UIWSOM is in San Antonio. So both urban/suburban. Maybe choose the one closer to a potential support system or if you prefer the weather of Texas vs Idaho.

You can take a look at this years/previous years school specific threads and see if any students gave their perspectives on the schools.

If I were in your shoes I would go with ICOM. Seems like a good school and its closer to home.

ICOM was just recently accredited and is waiting for their federal school code from the government. They are anticipating that it will be available before classes start this fall.
That is excellent then. It just doesn’t show on their website yet and that would be a concern for me.

Hello- would strongly advise against ICOM. Please save yourself the misery and go anywhere else.