ICOM vs Touro Montana vs KansasCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justchallenge4

Reaction score
Hi all just want some peoples thoughts on these schools. Currently have a deposit down at Touro but unsure if it would be unwise to take it out.

ICOM:

Pros:
Good board passing rates
A decent match list for being a newer school
Cheaper tuition compared to TouroCOM
Boise is a bigger city compared to Great Falls
Can do clinical rotation in my hometown in NY

Cons:
For profit school
Still waiting for federal loan approval (so no title IV benefits) which will hurt me considering I have private and federal loans from undergrad, so will have to find a way to avoid paying those)
Higher COL (I take this with a grain of salt given that I’m from NY and lived in Boston)
Graded all 4 years
ICOM helps students with 4th year rotation placement

Overall: I really loved the vibes of the school and really liked my information session and the current students. I can really see myself thrive there and I prefer a more urban area, which Boise offers compared to Great Falls Montana. There is a chance that while I’m attending/before I attend they will obtain federal approval but they do not have any timeframe since applying in 2022.

Touro MT

Pros:
Touro has a good track record with opening up new campuses and Touro has a relatively well known name in the medical community
Partners with the McGlaughlin Research Institute
cheap COL
Federal loans available

Cons:
No board passage rates and match list yet
More expensive tuition
Less of an Urban vibes
Graded all 4 years
4th year rotations are up to me via VSLO, not necessarily a con but can create more stress
Clinical sites are scattered

Overall: I could probably make this school work location wise but my heart isn’t fully set on it. To preface I applied to all three Touro campuses and I took a gamble when I accepted this interview, because if I said no I would lose this interview and potentially not have an interview with the other two campuses. Don’t love that they did that but I don’t make the rules. I know Touro harlem offers rotations in NY, was thinking when the times comes I could potentially do rotations there.

KHSC COM

Pros:
Federal loans available
New campus
Faculty seem supportive and have good backgrounds
More urban/larger city (compared to great falls)
Closer to home (NY) still not a weekend drive away but substantially closer
Lots of clinical sites
Some research opportunities

Cons:
No match data or board passing scores yet

overall: I didn’t find too many cons about this school. And could probably pretty happy here compared to Montana, but since Touro has a better name it might make more sense to go there since there is really no match data.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated! I will say I am leaning more ICOM compared to the other schools but the lack federal loans scares me

I will add I am heavily leaning toward pediatrics, but that could obviously change but genuinely don’t see myself going into an uber competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what did you decide? How do you feel about RVUCOM Montana? did you apply there too?

what did you decide? How do you feel about RVUCOM Montana? did you apply there too?
I’m 90% sure I’m going to Touro Montana. Waitlisted at ICOM and have yet to hear back from Kansas COM. But Touro has a stronger name than Kansas com. I applied to rvu Montana but ultimately withdrew my II because they only have private loans available and no federal loans, which is a big thing to consider

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m 90% sure I’m going to Touro Montana. Waitlisted at ICOM and have yet to hear back from Kansas COM. But Touro has a stronger name than Kansas com. I applied to rvu Montana but ultimately withdrew my II because they only have private loans available and no federal loans, which is a big thing to consider
That makes sense! Do you think you might have good chances to get off the waitlist to icon though? I have known people that got in that way. What do you think? I am waitlisted at 4 schools!!!

That makes sense! Do you think you might have good chances to get off the waitlist to icon though? I have known people that got in that way. What do you think? I am waitlisted at 4 schools!!!
actually 5 because one school has 2 campuses!!!

Ive heard that DO schools have larger waitlist movements compared to MD so I wouldn’t be too shocked if I get off the ICOm waitlist. But I don’t think I’d go to ICOM only because they have no federal loan approval yet and I don’t want to take that gamble. Plus I’m not really a fan of for profit schools like ICOM or RVU

Ive heard that DO schools have larger waitlist movements compared to MD so I wouldn’t be too shocked if I get off the ICOm waitlist. But I don’t think I’d go to ICOM only because they have no federal loan approval yet and I don’t want to take that gamble. Plus I’m not really a fan of for profit schools like ICOM or RVU
why not a fan of for profit schools? How are they different (for the students) than not for profit besides loan status? Just wondering

why not a fan of for profit schools? How are they different (for the students) than not for profit besides loan status? Just wondering
Will you go to Touro Montana then? Or are you waitlisted somewhere else you might wait on?

Will you go to Touro Montana then? Or are you waitlisted somewhere else you might wait on?
I’m going to Touro Montana. I mean loan factor is a big thing but a decent amount of people on SDN always recommend to stay away from for profit schools unless it’s your only option. They eventually get student loan approval after graduating their first class. Usually they recommend to stay away from them is because they will have a higher chance of favoring investors over students. I def am not one to speak on the subject because I obviously don’t go to one, but if you look through reddit and SDN you’ll see people telling you to stay away from for profit schools. If you need more information probably best to talk to students at RVU Montana, I def cannot offer you an opinion on it