"IceDot" Medic Alert for Football Players

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting article about this IceDot thing which is basically a medic alert type tag that ties into a medical profile database via a code number printed on the tag. The tag is to be applied to football jerseys.

See article:http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/16/ice-dot-save-football-players-life/?test=faces

I think the idea of having medical information on the net accessible by a code carried by the patient is a great idea. But this seems more like a publicity seeking niche than a real help. Young healthy athleates are the population that would benefit the least from this. That group is healthy, on few if any medications and have coaching/training staffs that can carry paper info.

Now if they come up with this for nursing home robes and walkers I'm all for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting article about this IceDot thing which is basically a medic alert type tag that ties into a medical profile database via a code number printed on the tag. The tag is to be applied to football jerseys.

See article:http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/16/ice-dot-save-football-players-life/?test=faces

I think the idea of having medical information on the net accessible by a code carried by the patient is a great idea. But this seems more like a publicity seeking niche than a real help. Young healthy athleates are the population that would benefit the least from this. That group is healthy, on few if any medications and have coaching/training staffs that can carry paper info.

Now if they come up with this for nursing home robes and walkers I'm all for it.

Make carrying one a requirement for buying high-gravity four packs and you can count me as a supporter too!

It would be nice if they slapped these on gomers from the Nursing Home - but what would be even better is something that tells me why the gomer was sent to the ED to begin with. A lot of patients come over with a big stack of nursing home "social progress" notes and nothing else. Or maybe a note saying "evaluate for AMS". Great, thanks for asking me to evaluate altered mental status in a non-verbal, severely demented, 94 year old.
/rant

i was a very junior member of a team that was developing something similar to this for a mass triage incident: basically you got the tag and the color code with a locator, and there was work on making it take transcutaneous vitals, last time i grabbed a beer with my supervisor we scrapped it as cool enough for funding but not really practical expenses wise haha but if these people managed to pull off the development economics a possible route