Medical I was accepted to a DO school that will put me $400,000 in debt. Should I attend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Terrified about medical school.

So I scored a 507 MCAT, 3.8GPA, two research publications and the only two interviews at LECOM and NSU-KPCOM. The only school that accepted me was NSU-KPCOM. I was excited at first but after reading SDN and now that I’m about to start in July I’m seeing a lot of the confusion and problems in their faculty and school. I’m stressed that this school won’t prepare me for boards or will end up costing me in the end. This doesn’t even mention the insane cost of tuition, where I’ll be $400,000 in debt at the end of the four years. I feel stuck because I have no other schools available, I already agreed and submitted my paperwork and just need to register for classes and pay tuition. Am I just letting these posts get to me? Is there other options available? Should I not go into it and just try again next year?

Tough situation.

But if you my own child, in all seriousness, I would advise you to drop that accept and work on improving your app and interview skills for next cycle.

And be truthful if asked "Have you been accepted elsewhere?"

IF you don't have a DO LOR, shadow a DO and get one.

IF you have a DO school in driving distance, go visit them and chat up the Faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't read the individual school forums so I don't know what the issues are, but your choice is to stick with it or go with Goro's advice. I will say that if the state of faculty-student relations are horribly bad, then not showing up on orientation when they do a head count on matriculation would be best for you. I don't know if you had that feeling when you visited the campus (I presume you did on your interview day and any Second Look opportunities). Just think of this as a marriage because it essentially is: the name of this school will be forever associated with you and your training. Is your experience worth the $400K you will ultimately have to payback over 30 years (or whatever the payback scheme is now)? It's one thing to have cold feet, but it's another if the story is a common theme among all the students you have talked with in confidence, and perhaps any recent graduates.

Status
Not open for further replies.