I Want To Become A Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How would I know if I qualify to be in this category?:confused:

Zen, I mean this as a compliment: You are in a category all to yourself. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Alright. I guess it's my turn. I am currently an RN with a BSN. I've been a practicing ICU nurse since 1994. I was less than a stellar student during nursing school and my overall GPA ended up being a 2.6. The only reasons would be young and extrememly immature. I have since then matured, and learned through immense amounts of work experience how to become a good ICU nurse. At this point in my life, I want to try to pursue an advanced degree. I have been urged by different NPs and different RNs to go and get my DNP. I was so excited I decided to apply and send my transcripts. I even knew the minimum entrance GPA is a 3.0. And yet - I applied anyway. I feel like a complete idiot for even sending my application in. I feel that the adminstration at the school I applied for will laugh hysterical when: 1) They see my GPA and 2) They read my Essays. I probably sounded like a 4 year old writing about Dick and Jane.

So - what's the point of my post? Just wondering if anyone here thinks I have a snowball's chance in h*ll that this school will actually accept me. I want a chance to prove I'm not that 20 something year old party girl anymore and instead a dedicated nurse that wants to further her knowledge and career.

If you've read all this mess, thanks. Let the bashing begin :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. I guess it's my turn. I am currently an RN with a BSN. I've been a practicing ICU nurse since 1994. I was less than a stellar student during nursing school and my overall GPA ended up being a 2.6. The only reasons would be young and extrememly immature. I have since then matured, and learned through immense amounts of work experience how to become a good ICU nurse. At this point in my life, I want to try to pursue an advanced degree. I have been urged by different NPs and different RNs to go and get my DNP. I was so excited I decided to apply and send my transcripts. I even knew the minimum entrance GPA is a 3.0. And yet - I applied anyway. I feel like a complete idiot for even sending my application in. I feel that the adminstration at the school I applied for will laugh hysterical when: 1) They see my GPA and 2) They read my Essays. I probably sounded like a 4 year old writing about Dick and Jane.

So - what's the point of my post? Just wondering if anyone here thinks I have a snowball's chance in h*ll that this school will actually accept me. I want a chance to prove I'm not that 20 something year old party girl anymore and instead a dedicated nurse that wants to further her knowledge and career.

Let's hope you wrote one hell of an essay. ;)

I think the admissions committee will be able to understand that people can grow up. We are talking about nearly 16 years. It might be hard to get past that GPA. Can you take some courses to boost your GPA and get you back in study mode?

Let's hope you wrote one hell of an essay. ;)

I think the admissions committee will be able to understand that people can grow up. We are talking about nearly 16 years. It might be hard to get past that GPA. Can you take some courses to boost your GPA and get you back in study mode?

I was thinking about taking a college essay writing course (I think I need it :p ) and I am about to study intensely for the CCRN (even though it's not a college course). Otherwise - I was thinking of taking college A & P and Patho again. I don't know if that would be enough to be evidence for entry into the program.

I was thinking about taking a college essay writing course (I think I need it :p ) and I am about to study intensely for the CCRN (even though it's not a college course). Otherwise - I was thinking of taking college A & P and Patho again. I don't know if that would be enough to be evidence for entry into the program.

If you think they'll boost your GPA, sure. Do you have any liberal arts courses that might help boost your grades or have you pretty much satisfied them with the bach,? The writing course might be a good idea; it will get you back in the swing of writing professionally.

Have you looked into taking non-degree seeking credit courses in the program to which you are applying? A lot of schools will allow you to take at least 2 or 3 classes... a great way to "prove" yourself to the school while also not wasting your time or money--- b/c the courses would be required for your program. Check the course catalog online at your school(s) of choice and see... good luck.

Can you meet in person with some of the faculty that teach in the program you are planning on applying to? Some programs require a personal inteview as part of the application process for the reasons you listed.
I too did not have the best grades in my early nursing (what can you expect from a 18 y.o. LPN student/20 year old RN student) becoming an RN at 21 with an ADN my grades reflected the lack of attention to my courses and a bit too much partying!! ( I learned how to tap a beer keg at at a frat party), so when I went back for my BSN, I was worried but I had taken prereq courses and those grades were mostly A's. Ask if they have any suggestions on courses that may help, I wish I had taken another child development/human devopment course & some more biology/microbiology course before starting my FNP program. It had been over 20 years since basic courses and I was expected to remember "developmental milestones, Ericksons stages and bacterial morphology/gram stains/antimicrobial respsonsiveness/bioavailabilty etc.I am sure if you peruse the course catalogs-there may courses you can take that will not only help you boost GPA, but also actually aid in learning applicable content to nurse practitioner real world practice.
PM me if you like.
Eva