I want to be an optometrist...is it too late to start over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pisces85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last year with a 2.79 GPA in Psychology. I've took several sciences class but got a C or below in them =[ I've always wanted to pursue a career in optometry but I messed up by not taking college seriously. I've worked in the psychology field as a behavioral therapist for a few years and I've tried to convince myself that I could grow to like this field, however in the back of my mind I'm still thinking about going to optometry school.

Few months back I applied for a job as a therapist and coincidently it was at an optometrist's office who is also a FCOVD. I do vision therapy and other therapies to enhance sensory cognitive motor skills. I really enjoy working here and now I want to go into behavioral optometry.

So my questions is...do I stand a chance? Am I being realistic by thinking that I could get into an optometry school by taking all my prerequisites at a junior college and hoping that I can back it up w/ a lot of work experience? Can I even start over? Or do you think I should stop dreaming and just get my Masters in Psychology and maybe after that I'll find a job that I can learn to like?

I'm so confused. I don't want to pursue something that's a dead end. I can't afford to mess up again.

ANY HELP AND ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on how badly you want to go into optometry and how much you are willing to put into it.
To get to optometry school from where you're at now would be possible... you have a unique background with your psychology training, and that shouldn't work against you.
Your undergrad GPA may be a problem, but if you are able to ace all of the pre-reqs and get a high score on the OAT you should be okay. Don't think that work experience alone will get you in though... you are going to have to prove to admissions committees that you can handle the acedemics of optometry school.
Basically i think you should think about whether or not you're willing to dedicate 6 or more years of your life (pre-reqs + opt school). It's a huge time and financial commitment, but if you really want it and you think you can get the grades to make it in, then go for it.

Best of luck...

it's entirely possible assuming you have already taken some science courses in undergrad. you just need to:
- spend at least 1 entire year taking pre-reqs and retaking the pre-req courses that you didn't do well in (Cs or below)
- meanwhile study for the OATs and score 340+ in EVERY section. taking all the pre-reqs should prepare you well for the OATs as well (but it's not enough)
- get good recs from 2 profs and 1 optometrist.
so realistically it can be done within a year's time but it won't be easy. best of luck to ya.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless things have changed since I applied (eek, 3 years ago!), I'm fairly certain you can't take prereqs at junior colleges. My favorite advice that I like to give out is to call up a couple of schools that you are interested in and tell them your situation. Since they are the ones who will be telling you if you get accepted or not, I figure they are the ones who can give you the best advice.

You need to get that GPA first and foremost. Optometry is all about science and getting C's won't cut it.

Unless things have changed since I applied (eek, 3 years ago!), I'm fairly certain you can't take prereqs at junior colleges. My favorite advice that I like to give out is to call up a couple of schools that you are interested in and tell them your situation. Since they are the ones who will be telling you if you get accepted or not, I figure they are the ones who can give you the best advice.

I am 100% sure you can take any pre-req at a junior college. Just call the optometry school you wish to apply to.

GL raising your GPA.

Yes, I know that in order for me to even have a chance I need to boost up my GPA. I'm not worried about the academia from here on out. I'm just worried about whether or not I can still get into an optometry school given my academic history. I am determined to work hard and get the grades I need to be able to get in, but I'm afraid that it wouldn't be enough. Plus, I'm not sure if I should take the pre-reqs at a junior college or thru university extension programs. I guess the best way is to speak with an admissions counselor. Also I know people mentioned volunteer work. Is it all right if you've only worked at an optometry office for a few years or do they want to see you volunteer elsewhere and do other extra curricular activities?

Yes, I know that in order for me to even have a chance I need to boost up my GPA. I'm not worried about the academia from here on out. I'm just worried about whether or not I can still get into an optometry school given my academic history. I am determined to work hard and get the grades I need to be able to get in, but I'm afraid that it wouldn't be enough. Plus, I'm not sure if I should take the pre-reqs at a junior college or thru university extension programs. I guess the best way is to speak with an admissions counselor. Also I know people mentioned volunteer work. Is it all right if you've only worked at an optometry office for a few years or do they want to see you volunteer elsewhere and do other extra curricular activities?

working in an OD office should be fine. You show that you know what you're getting yourself into. Definitely talk to an admissions counselor at your closest OD school. Get them to recognize your name. Ask them about the best local CC to take classes at and which courses will count, cuz some won't.

Show a school you're dedicated by raising the GPA, continuing your work in VT, and kick bootie on the OAT and you've got a very good shot. It'll show you're truly motivated to be there.