I want to be a surgeon!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lil dik dok 2B

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum. I am currently a 14 year old middle school student and am in eighth grade. I want to be a surgeon. What kind of classes should I take and what kind of school should I go to? I want to start preparing already because my mom says that I need to get a job soon and I don't know what to do. I would especially appreciate help from a surgeon who can tell me what I can do. Especially if you have lots of experience. Thank you very much.

Steven

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by lil dik dok 2B
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum. I am currently a 14 year old middle school student and am in eighth grade. I want to be a surgeon. What kind of classes should I take and what kind of school should I go to? I want to start preparing already because my mom says that I need to get a job soon and I don't know what to do. I would especially appreciate help from a surgeon who can tell me what I can do. Especially if you have lots of experience. Thank you very much.

Steven

Hi Steven,
As a middle school student, you want to take as much science and math as you can. Buzz through algebra and geometry so you can get to the good stuff like trig and calculus. Learn to love the science because medicine is applied science.

Find a sport or hobby that you enjoy such as soccer, tennis or computer games. Things that improve your eye-hand coordination are good practice for budding surgeons. (I didn't know that I wanted to be a surgeon until I was in medical school but I love tennis, golf and soccer). You also need to keep in good physical condition so sports are good things.

Volunteer at your local hospital or nursing home so that you get comfortable being around people who are ill. Nursing home patients need younger folks to read mail and help them write letters. Volunteer at your local hospital delivering flowers and rocking little babies in the nursery. It's fun and you get some valuable experience.

Find a surgeon in your time that will let you spend a day or two with him or her. Follow them around and see if you really like surgery. A couple of my bosses regularly allow high school students to visit their offices and observe surgeries.

You want to do well in school and get into a good four-year university. You can major in anything you like but you have to take the pre-med sciences which are General Chemistry, General Biology, General Physics and Organic Chemistry. Many medical schools require Calculus and Molecular Biology so look out for these schools. You need to do well in college and try not to get any grade less than B+. In the spring of your junior year in college, you will take the MCAT exam, which is a scaled-up version of the SAT exam. You need to do well on this exam for entry into medical school.

During the summer between your junior and senior year of college, you will apply to medical school. If you have good grades in college (remember no grade lower than B+ with more As than B+ grades) and your MCAT grades are good along with good volunteer experiences and letters of recommendation, you will be invited to interview at some medical schools. If you interview well and you application is good, you will be offered a seat in medical school.

Right now, you can practice and hone your study skills so that you become an efficient student. Medical school involves learning lots of facts and information very quickly so you can get your brain in shape by doing very well in school. Practice for your SATs.

At the end of your third year of medical school, you will choose a specialty (surgery!) and apply for residency. Assuming that you have done fairly well in medical school and on your medical board exams, you will be invited to interview for residency. As you finish first, second and third year of medical school, you will learn more about the residency application process so your task at this point is to do well in middle and high school, get into a good four-year college or university and do well there in the major of your choice.

If you take lots of math and science in middle, jr. high and high school, college math and science will be easier for you. So start working on good study habits. Get in good physical condition so that you can go for the long haul. Finally, enjoy yourself and enjoy learning.

Tell your Mom if you are having difficulty managing a job and school work. Your school work is the most important thing for you at this point. If you do very well in junior high and high school, you can get a scholarship to college to cover your expenses. With a good scholarship, you won't have to work and interfere with your studies.

Good luck!

njbmd:cool:

Thanks a lot for all the info! It is very helpful and I will start doing some of those things as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Steven,
njbmd, as usual, has given thoughtful advice.

One thing I'll add is that you needn't commit yourself so early. At your age, you should just think about getting as broad and liberal an education as you can get. Who knows? you may take a film class as an elective in college and become the next Scorcese. Or you chase down a business opportunity and become the next Michael Dell.

Ultimately, you can make the decision to become a surgeon pretty late into your 3rd year of medical school. If everything you've done up to that point has made you an inquisitive, hard-working, compassionate person, getting into a surgical residency will virtually take care of itself.

I know this doesn't sound like the programmatic, flow-chart-like advice you probably are asking for, but medicine can always use more people with broad minds; there's no need to narrow your focus at age 14.

ps. what's the deal with your username?

[Edit: missing comma]

Anybody else pick up that "lil dik dok" is probably joking?

Originally posted by girlwithaknife

Try getting a few more posts before you pick on the other members ;)

Hey, chill out. No one's picking on anyone. Just offering my alternative perspective, that's all. Sheesh.

Originally posted by girlwithaknife

Yeah, I thought perhaps, but then his response to njbmd seems to suggest that he might not be joking.

The "job real soon" makes you think though.

Um...yep...lil' dik ain't for real. Here's another post from pre-allo:
Originally posted by lil dik dok 2B
I know that if i want to be a surgeon i have to do good in school. Someone please help me out with this math question if you are familiar with it:
Solve for x:
2x=12

I just can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you.

NJBMD.

great response to this kid's question. very nicely done.

hi steven,
First, you have to start a strong relationship with books. eat, sleep, play, travel and go shopping with books.
When it becoms your habit, you will enjoy it.
In surgery and medicine you have to read and practice, read and practice etc...
Time ( 24 hours a day ) is the key word. If you enter the medical school well prepared and start to manage you time properly, I am sure and very convinced you will enjoy your life and your hopes, and you will achieve high grades.

Good luck;
russel ;)

"Lil Dik Dok"???

I think something should have clicked in your heads just from the name.... And then there are the posts...

"DrLady, is that girl in your picture not wearing any underwear?"

"Is histology the same as history? I have been taking history for a long time and am good at it. I will surely ask my guidance counselor about all of the other things. I wrote them all down:) .:

Hmmm... I thought the name "lil dik dok" meant that he was an aspiring urologist...

lil dik dok, if you are serious, some great advice has been offered here. I'd have to add study hard but enjoy the phase of life you are in. Continue to explore your interest in medicine as well as other things and it'll fall into place.

good luck!

Is Lil dik dok
1) A Urolgist
2) A crazy kid with a small penis
3) A urologist with a small penis? Which is not that uncommon.
Thanks guys!
I am confused

PURERIDE
[email protected]