I want out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think it's about SDN being "fair" to spouses unwilling to locate. Our point is the match is a long drawn out process that didn't just happen in March and there were multiple points, between choosing specialty, sending applications, going on interviews, ranking, at which time the spouse ought to have been involved in the conversation and given a seal of approval to the places OP was choosing. OP probably should have limited his efforts to geographies that worked for his family, and added a backup specialty if needed. He created this issue, not us and not the NRMP. in light of his taking this unilateral "all in" approach, SDNs responses are totally appropriate here.

I don't think that this is quite fair either, to either person.

The OP made it pretty clear that he *thought* that things were settled. She had grudgingly agreed to the location that he ultimately matched to. He thought that she understood how important it was to not scramble, as that ultimately creates less control over where they end up. It turns out that was not the case, but the OP didn't realize how unhappy she would be with the result. I don't even think that the OP would be upset with the result, if it were not for his wife.

Although I agree that the OP's wife is being a bit unreasonable, I feel for her, a little bit. My boyfriend is finishing his last year of residency in a specialty with a tight job market. His career would not flourish at his home program, at least not with his current research interests. I knew all this. I told him that I understood all this, and that I would go with him wherever he ended up.

And yet, despite that, when he got a job in a city 4-5 hours away, I acted like a total baby. I cried. I pouted. I asked, more times than I should have, if he was SURE that he didn't want to stay at his home program.

Unlike the OP's wife, I am a physician. I have a busy patient panel, with a lot of staff and patients who like me. I also, about a year ago, got a pretty major promotion that I would never have expected to get with my relative lack of seniority. It is a good position, with a lot of administrative responsibility - it has taught me a lot and I have worked hard in it. But I also recognize that the stars had to align in order for me to get that position, and I do not expect that to happen again. I may not get a similar position for at least another 5 years, if ever. So moving, and changing jobs, is a big deal.

So don't be too hard on either the OP or his wife. While I was having my mini-tantrums, I realized (with a lot of shame) how poorly I was behaving, but I just couldn't get myself to stop - that's how disappointed and anxious I was about changing jobs and taking a demotion. She may be going through the same thing as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Unique things about my situation:
- the city is unacceptably dangerous. My teenage kids will not be able to safely attend public school, and we won't be able to afford private school
-my wife is self-employed with clientele locally

You have wife and kids and student loans. You have no option but to start your residency and take care of your family.
This does not seem to be a decision of what you want but what the reality of your situation is (i.e. wife and kids).

Otherwise you will face decades of underemployment, lack of ability to retire, but more importantly lack of social mobility for your kids as you will be poor.

Reactions: 1 users
This.

I got 'geographically shafted' before I started IM residency, and let me tell ya...it has sucked hard:

-The sense of loneliness and isolation from family has really done a number on my overall mood and mental state for the last 3 years. I've powered through it and kept my chin up, but I definitely think I met DSM-5 criteria for depression for most of residency, and this has probably gone a long way towards the jaded/burned out/blah feeling i have towards medicine in general at this point. Having my wife/kids nearby would've made it a lot more tolerable.

- The separation has severely strained my marriage. We were frequently close to divorce during residency, and it may yet still happen.

- We waste absurd amounts of money paying on rent in one city/mortgage in another plus two sets of utilities etc...our finances are definitely stressed.

- Driving back and forth from two cities was a huge waste of time/money/wear and tear on my car etc. My car has 213k on it at this point. All this time spent driving etc ate into my reading time and prevented me from getting into a true 'rhythm' for much of residency.

In short...yes you can 'power through' and yes you can do it and yes you probably just need to bite the bullet and do it if you still want to be a doctor, but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks. Don't listen to the people who say it's all gravy and no biggie etc...3 years (or however long your residency is) can seem like a really long time when you're trapped in a situation like I have been.

Fortunately, I got good training at a good IM program, did very well as a resident, and matched fellowship at an outstanding program (name brand, you'd all know it) in the city where my wife/kids have been living. My kids, however, barely know who I am (one was born during residency, and there is good reason to believe the kid isn't even mine - but I digress) and the wife is on the verge of hiring a divorce lawyer. Cleaning up the damage done during residency will probably be much harder than landing that 'prestigious' fellowship spot.

Sucks homie. I know how hard it can be to be geographically isolated. Good thing you did get great training.

2 Ps would be key: Pre-nup and Paternity test.

I don't think it's about SDN being "fair" to spouses unwilling to locate. Our point is the match is a long drawn out process that didn't just happen in March and there were multiple points, between choosing specialty, sending applications, going on interviews, ranking, at which time the spouse ought to have been involved in the conversation and given a seal of approval to the places OP was choosing. OP probably should have limited his efforts to geographies that worked for his family, and added a backup specialty if needed. He created this issue, not us and not the NRMP. in light of his taking this unilateral "all in" approach, SDNs responses are totally appropriate here.
That's actually along the lines of what I was trying to say, that the OP needs to take responsibility for his actions. There were a few posts about his wife being unreasonable given that now he has loans, etc, and I was responding to those to show that I don't agree with that.

On the flip side, maybe it's better something like this happened sooner rather than later. The two of you clearly have conflict resolution and communication deficiencies that would one day, if not now, cause major problems in your marriage. I've never been married and am not even currently in a relationship so i may be a little too far removed from a situation like this but I have always had and will continue to have this opinion about pursuing a career in medicine: It's better to be single or dating a fellow med student/resident going through all of this. I couldn't fathom having kids and trying to do med school and residency. I can barely get 4-5hrs of sleep some months, how the hell do you keep a family going doing that? Although I supposed with a supportive SO not in such a time consuming/demanding occupation that it would be easier, but it's a lot of pressure on them. Not to mention having to potentially sacrifice better programs/training due to family and location restraints AFTER you worked so hard in med school. HO w frustrating would it be to know you weren't pursuing your full potential? Yes there are people/couples/families who have made it work and that's wonderful and ideal but the reality is that there are families/couples/people for which it has torn apart.

This is definitely a thread that needs to be stickied. Future applicants need to realize what they're getting themselves in to. There is so much more involved in this decision than "I wan to be a doctor to help people".

I've been lurking on this thread since the weekend. I'm going to repeat what a lot of people have said. Haha.

As an M1-3, you watch the M4s approach match, match, and leave every year and envy them. But you don't realize until it's upon you how messed up the whole concept of this match is and how much you can lose control with the match. I know a few people who are seriously reeling, and a few others who didn't match at all. In my class it seemed rare that the non-medical wife's career was really taken into consideration, while many of us are staying here for our dudes (me included).

In this case, it seems like the OP did everything he could (except for having a back-up specialty) to try and accommodate his family. I don't think we can confidently say that she, at one point, agreed to this location because it sounds like he knew she was never really on board with leaving. But that's how these things go, you talk about theoreticals and then you have to make the best of whatever happens.

It sounds like your wife is coming around to some sort of compromise. Just like the people in my class who had to go to the bottom of their list are starting to think of the good things about that place. This match process is so messed up (especially gathering to open the envelopes together...geez). But there's probably no other way to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
To those who have pointed out that I should have added a backup specialty: I said EXACTLY this on match day. I had initially debated about doing this, since I was between specialties for a short time anyway, and could have been happy doing more than one thing. My faculty advisors steered me away from it, saying that this will really hurt your application. I thought about the past couple of years and remembered 2-3 people who "double dipped" and ended up in the SOAP, despite being fairly average applicants as far as I know. Not to say that this never works out, but according to my school, "PD's talk," this sort of thing is heavily frowned upon. I think this is extremely weird, but ultimately decided not to go there due to my perception of the inherent risk.

Anyway, an update: my wife seems to have come around, and is now on board with moving. We've had several long discussions in the past few days, where she re-iterated her feelings that her career wasn't being considered appropriately, and I re-iterated that while I understood that, I couldn't undo what's been done, etc. She also pointed out the finality of moving, because our living situation is so ideal right now, and it's unlikely that we could afford to return to our current city after selling our current home. (We live in an expensive area but got a great deal- we'll be moving to a very cheap area.) This made us realize that transferring back here after intern year doesn't really make sense. Even with this realization, a quick review of my student loans made me realize that, as another poster said, I NEED to do this. My prior income was "fine." My wife's current income is "fine." But even the combination of the two is no match for that level of debt. As my wife stated, "not going would basically be like trying to afford a mega mansion on my income plus your previous income."

I hope we've put this issue to rest- not that I think it will be easy, but I do believe we've overcome the initial hurdle and perhaps better defined our dedication to each other and our roles in the family. I really hope others can learn from this thread- I know I'm not the first in this sticky situation, and I won't be the last.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Anyway, an update: my wife seems to have come around, and is now on board with moving. We've had several long discussions in the past few days, where she re-iterated her feelings that her career wasn't being considered appropriately, and I re-iterated that while I understood that, I couldn't undo what's been done, etc.

I'm glad to hear that things have settled down. I think that it's key to stress that none of this happened because of malicious intent - you did the best that you could, but I think that every physician and physician-partner knows how random the Match can feel. I wish you and your family the best.

Out of curiosity, could you just rent out your house for a few years, and then return after residency? Maybe rent it to another med student or a resident? Just a thought.

I'm glad to hear that things have settled down. I think that it's key to stress that none of this happened because of malicious intent - you did the best that you could, but I think that every physician and physician-partner knows how random the Match can feel. I wish you and your family the best.

Out of curiosity, could you just rent out your house for a few years, and then return after residency? Maybe rent it to another med student or a resident? Just a thought.

Unfortunately, no. Because of the cost of our area, there is a special program in place that allows young professionals to buy houses with the understanding that they must be used as primary residences. If you're caught renting, you lose your equity- it happened to someone we know, and it was an ugly mess!

Unfortunately, no. Because of the cost of our area, there is a special program in place that allows young professionals to buy houses with the understanding that they must be used as primary residences. If you're caught renting, you lose your equity- it happened to someone we know, and it was an ugly mess!

Ugh, that stinks. :confused:

It's definitely not a minor inconvenience but you (a) applied, (b) interviewed, and (c) ranked this place. You didn't get geographically shafted, you had multiple decision points at which you considered the geography and pushed ahead, deciding that if this was the best you got, you'd make it work. So inconvenience, sure. Shafted? Not so much-- this was your doing, not NRMPs. You told THEM what your next choice was.

I would just say that we've all made huge mistakes at some point in life, and it seems like OP may be willing to leave medicine and that may be the mature decision for them. His argument for his children, even if fear-based, is coming from the best possible place. Medicine is not worth damaging a child or hurting a family.

I would just say that we've all made huge mistakes at some point in life, and it seems like OP may be willing to leave medicine and that may be the mature decision for them. His argument for his children, even if fear-based, is coming from the best possible place. Medicine is not worth damaging a child or hurting a family.

Being forced to move as a teenager is "damaging"? I would suggest reinforcing the idea that their wants and needs take precedence over the good of society and the hardwork and sacrifice of their parent is "damaging".

Reactions: 4 users
To those who have pointed out that I should have added a backup specialty: I said EXACTLY this on match day. I had initially debated about doing this, since I was between specialties for a short time anyway, and could have been happy doing more than one thing. My faculty advisors steered me away from it, saying that this will really hurt your application. I thought about the past couple of years and remembered 2-3 people who "double dipped" and ended up in the SOAP, despite being fairly average applicants as far as I know. Not to say that this never works out, but according to my school, "PD's talk," this sort of thing is heavily frowned upon. I think this is extremely weird, but ultimately decided not to go there due to my perception of the inherent risk.

Anyway, an update: my wife seems to have come around, and is now on board with moving. We've had several long discussions in the past few days, where she re-iterated her feelings that her career wasn't being considered appropriately, and I re-iterated that while I understood that, I couldn't undo what's been done, etc. She also pointed out the finality of moving, because our living situation is so ideal right now, and it's unlikely that we could afford to return to our current city after selling our current home. (We live in an expensive area but got a great deal- we'll be moving to a very cheap area.) This made us realize that transferring back here after intern year doesn't really make sense. Even with this realization, a quick review of my student loans made me realize that, as another poster said, I NEED to do this. My prior income was "fine." My wife's current income is "fine." But even the combination of the two is no match for that level of debt. As my wife stated, "not going would basically be like trying to afford a mega mansion on my income plus your previous income."

I hope we've put this issue to rest- not that I think it will be easy, but I do believe we've overcome the initial hurdle and perhaps better defined our dedication to each other and our roles in the family. I really hope others can learn from this thread- I know I'm not the first in this sticky situation, and I won't be the last.

Good to hear you have this worked out for now.

You may have already considered this, but hopefully you address (sooner rather than later) what will happen if and when you want to fellow and what you will do for your job. Medicine opens a lot of doors and for the most part, you should be able to find a job pretty much anywhere. That is when your wife may get to pick what happens. She is conceding a lot for you. When you are done and getting a job, imo, you should maybe let her decide what the move is...maybe she wants to stay where you are, maybe she wants to move back, maybe she wants to go somewhere else. If she knows that she gets to predominantly make an important decision later, it makes this move a little bit easier to handle...she has lost control of the situation...let her now that she will in the not too distant future have control.

Just an idea.

Best of luck.

Being forced to move as a teenager is "damaging"? I would suggest reinforcing the idea that their wants and needs take precedence over the good of society and the hardwork and sacrifice of their parent is "damaging".

I think that he may also be referring to the trauma inflicted on the child by an acrimonious divorce....

I think that he may also be referring to the trauma inflicted on the child by an acrimonious divorce....
Hmm, didn't pick up on that since OP takes about wife coming around.

Last edited:
While I was having my mini-tantrums, I realized (with a lot of shame) how poorly I was behaving, but I just couldn't get myself to stop - that's how disappointed and anxious I was about changing jobs and taking a demotion. She may be going through the same thing as well.

This. She was behaving badly. She knew it -- hence "no counseling!" and her parents' comments.

Glad to see she has come around though, and best wishes for you both -

I've mentioned this before, but this story is another good example of how the match, compared with an"open market" system, compresses the emotional impact of where you end up training. If there wasn't a match, you (likely) would have discovered, over a longer period of time, that you weren't going to get to stay in your home town. You'd see spots filling up, and each day you would know that your chances are dropping. This would give you and your wife lots of time to grieve the result, and come to the conclusion that your new location, whatever it is, will end up working out. Or, at least you'd get to the point where you're resigned to it. The match, on the other hand, releases all of that emotion in an instant. Rather than a slow trickle, all of a sudden you go from being certain you'll be staying to being certain you are moving. And the impact of that knowledge, all at once, can be devastating. If you work in clinical medicine long enough, you see this in your practice. Someone comes in with bad symptoms, knows they have something bad. When you tell them they have something bad, they are already ready to process it and move on. Or, someone comes in and doesn't realize, and gets completely blindsided.

This isn't my support for ending the match. The alternatives are all worse, in my opinion -- I think the match is the best of the options. And, in a "free market" system, the OP would still be stressed and disappointed, over a longer period of time, which might be overall "worse". But it is one of those side effects of a match system.

Reactions: 10 users
Have you talked about what sacrifices you're willing to make later? E.g. not doing a fellowship and taking a job that brings you back to your geographic location?

You said it's driving distance (yes, barely) for the weekends right? That's not actually so bad especially since she has family around.

What was her take on med school? Did you two talk about this? Did you change desired specialties to something more competitive? I really feel for both of you but I don't think that SDN is really very fair to SO's who are reluctant to give up everything for the partner who wants to be a doctor. Careers are not all about money alone. Her career is probably is a big factor in her self-image, and frankly at this point in the marriage, being financially independent is probably pretty important.

My thought is that the best thing you can do would be to start doing research on how to make sure this is only going to be a limited time aka you take whatever job you can get afterward. And consider whether a move after intern year could somehow be an option. What sacrifices have you made on this journey? Your old career, etc, don't count because you gave that up for you. What have you given up for her?

EDIT: Not trying to be unsympathetic for you. I truly feel for you both, but I'm just trying to think it through in a way that could help based on the experience of a few people I know.

I also think that some places initially thought as awful are not that bad. And for the OP, it may take getting a really nice apartment while they are there even if more expensive, allowing her to pamper herself if she's into that, having the option to dine out at nice places, etc.. Sometimes those things make a difference especially as a woman. Don't flag me or bully me re this women who are not into that, but many of us area. Sometimes things like that make a huge difference, even if you are a little poorer than you would me. I'm not saying dont be able to pay your rent and eat but the extra money use it for things your wife would enjoy. i know it may seem lame to you and other male posters but trust me it makes a difference.

I also think that some places initially thought as awful are not that bad. And for the OP, it may take getting a really nice apartment while they are there even if more expensive, allowing her to pamper herself if she's into that, having the option to dine out at nice places, etc.. Sometimes those things make a difference especially as a woman. Don't flag me or bully me re this women who are not into that, but many of us area. Sometimes things like that make a huge difference, even if you are a little poorer than you would me. I'm not saying dont be able to pay your rent and eat but the extra money use it for things your wife would enjoy. i know it may seem lame to you and other male posters but trust me it makes a difference.

Holy batman that was difficult to read with the typos and broken English at times. Hopefully he'll get to moonlight to accommodate such pampering.

There is a problem with this dynamic of guys buying women off with "pampering." It gets to be a habit, and both parties resort to it more and more as an emotional bandaid to avoid healthier ways interacting as equals and adults.

I've known a several surgeons who used this approach with each of their wives: 1st, 2nd, 3rd... funny how they keep marrying wonderful women, who all somehow turn into gold diggers after just a couple years of being offered shopping trips instead of time with their spouse.

It is easier to disregard someone's feelings and needs when you tell yourself that you will just buy her off with a gift later. And the wife who is offered financial perks instead of fulfilled promises and emotional availability, they do learn that if they can't have the relationship that they want, as least they can take what they can get.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying nice things in life... but if one spouse is using the "extra money" to basically pay off the other, rather than both of them doing things together because they both enjoy them and want to experience them together, that is something else entirely, and it often ends poorly.

Reactions: 8 users
There is a problem with this dynamic of guys buying women off with "pampering." It gets to be a habit, and both parties resort to it more and more as an emotional bandaid to avoid healthier ways interacting as equals and adults.

I've known a several surgeons who used this approach with each of their wives: 1st, 2nd, 3rd... funny how they keep marrying wonderful women, who all somehow turn into gold diggers after just a couple years of being offered shopping trips instead of time with their spouse.

It is easier to disregard someone's feelings and needs when you tell yourself that you will just buy her off with a gift later. And the wife who is offered financial perks instead of fulfilled promises and emotional availability, they do learn that if they can't have the relationship that they want, as least they can take what they can get.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying nice things in life... but if one spouse is using the "extra money" to basically pay off the other, rather than both of them doing things together because they both enjoy them and want to experience them together, that is something else entirely, and it often ends poorly.

Well, she'll at least also get some from the pool boy or the mailman... Then leave you wondering if the kid is actually yours as you pay for that too.

Beautifully explained. Being offered a "payoff" instead of quality time is insulting and disrespectful -- even if neither party realizes it at the time. The realization gradually creeps in that "payer" would rather throw money at the "problem" than spend time with the "payee". Even if the thought never gets articulated - even mentally - the realization seeps through and erodes the marriage.

Reactions: 3 users

I would argue that this viewpoint maybe coming from someone that hasn't experienced difficulty in childhood/adolescence. I could very well be wrong, but it might be better to expand your ability for compassion and take that into account. Again, in general there is far too much pragmatism and too little emotion/compassion on this forum.

I would argue that this viewpoint maybe coming from someone that hasn't experienced difficulty in childhood/adolescence. I could very well be wrong, but it might be better to expand your ability for compassion and take that into account. Again, in general there is far too much pragmatism and too little emotion/compassion on this forum.

This is how the outcry for micro aggression was born.

I realize that for OP this has been resolved, but I wanted to point out things that I feel weren't emphasized or brought up.

I don't mean to be entitled. I fully realize how maddening in this must sound to those who didn't match, and I apologize for that. Even though I thought I'd fully assessed my feelings and hashed it out with my family, I had a very poor understanding of where I actually stood on the matter. When I interviewed at the program I matched at, I thought it was great and would have ranked it over the local programs if it hadn't been for my family. One of my mentors strongly suggested that I rank it in my top 3 because he felt it was so solid in my field. Given these things, it's very possible that I would regret backing out eventually. So maybe I am being childish.

I unfortunately I didn't truly realize how unwilling I was to relocate until it was staring me in the face.

It honestly sounds like you matched at a great program, and in the long-run it may be for the best. Don't forget also that a lot can change in 1 yr. You can easily go yourself, and be long-distance for a year and see if the program/location really is right for you and your family .

You've worked this out, but others may actually benefit from spending a few months in the area, or even doing more research in seeing how that area can actually accommodate your needs and the needs of your wife. Maybe even a transition in terms of her clientele would be best, so she could join you later in the process. Anyways its not really relevant now.

Medicine is definitely not lollipops and sunshine. You go into med school and work and work and tell your family "one more year" or "one more step exam" etc etc. Even if you would have gotten your #1 spot you likely would be happy for probably 3 months tops. I think you get built up through the application process and then med school and everyone is so proud and then you get to residency and realize; well you just see everything for what it really is. I have never met a resident in ANY specialty that is just bursting with enthusiasm about their career choice. This business if filled to the brim with redundancies, paperwork and politics; and then there are the patients.

Point being, just start your residency. The world will continue to spin regardless of how you or your family feels so you might as well just suck it up complete the residency. Your kids probably already don't see you enough anyway from medical school so they probably won't notice if your gone. The rest of your life you will be absent from important events because of your job but this is what you signed up for; why is this such a surprise?

You do not meet many residents bursting with enthusiasm about their career choices, but honestly, I've met plenty of physicians (a few years out to a decade out) that love what they do everyday. Talking to a family member that finished residency last year, working is actually immensely better than being in training. Much more responsibility and much more pressure, but also much more independence, and generally a better life. I guess the compensation helps too. Don't get too down on medicine just yet. From what I've heard, residency is pretty much a black-hole, from which all happiness in life cannot escape, but fortunately its duration is finite.

This.

I got 'geographically shafted' before I started IM residency, and let me tell ya...it has sucked hard:

-The sense of loneliness and isolation from family has really done a number on my overall mood and mental state for the last 3 years. I've powered through it and kept my chin up, but I definitely think I met DSM-5 criteria for depression for most of residency, and this has probably gone a long way towards the jaded/burned out/blah feeling i have towards medicine in general at this point. Having my wife/kids nearby would've made it a lot more tolerable.

- The separation has severely strained my marriage. We were frequently close to divorce during residency, and it may yet still happen.

- We waste absurd amounts of money paying on rent in one city/mortgage in another plus two sets of utilities etc...our finances are definitely stressed.

- Driving back and forth from two cities was a huge waste of time/money/wear and tear on my car etc. My car has 213k on it at this point. All this time spent driving etc ate into my reading time and prevented me from getting into a true 'rhythm' for much of residency.

In short...yes you can 'power through' and yes you can do it and yes you probably just need to bite the bullet and do it if you still want to be a doctor, but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks. Don't listen to the people who say it's all gravy and no biggie etc...3 years (or however long your residency is) can seem like a really long time when you're trapped in a situation like I have been.

Fortunately, I got good training at a good IM program, did very well as a resident, and matched fellowship at an outstanding program (name brand, you'd all know it) in the city where my wife/kids have been living. My kids, however, barely know who I am (one was born during residency, and there is good reason to believe the kid isn't even mine - but I digress) and the wife is on the verge of hiring a divorce lawyer. Cleaning up the damage done during residency will probably be much harder than landing that 'prestigious' fellowship spot.

Overall this sucks. It certainly would have been possible for you to sacrifice aspects of your career to move back home, but I suspect that there were problems early on and honestly throwing away your sacrifice and your career goals may have may have not had a significant impact on the outcome of your marriage. I wish you luck, and I hope whatever is best works out.

So, to those who have ragged on me for all of my "mistakes" and "not discussing things," let me shed some light on the situation.

My wife had a fit at the prospect of moving initially. I explained that, although I would prioritize all local programs, including those which were poor quality and those that would make my commute hellatious, next would have to come a stack of programs that would require a move. The alternative was to risk not matching, thus relinquishing even more control over our location. My wife would intermittently discuss things like a rational adult, while other times refusing to. I was able to eke out a few places she flat out refused to live under any circumstances, plus a few places she intermittently agreed to tolerate… this was the best I could do, and this is how I formed my rank list. I honestly didn't think it would come to that anyway, because so many programs at the top of my list were so noncompetitive. Luckily (????) I landed at a place that she, at one point, agreed to tolerate. It's also a much more solid program than many at the top of my list.

The very difficult thing here is that she will not be forced to discuss things. I would say that I'm the "easygoing one," and have willingly made many, many compromises with jobs/med school throughout the years because I understand this. The unfortunate part about this whole process is that you can be as easygoing as you please, and sometimes you get dealt a hand that takes all choice away from you.

If I decide to go and she won't, it may well be the end of our marriage. If she's that inconsiderate of my want/need to follow this through in order to basically be set for life, then I think it would be best if we went our separate ways. Again, the concern is the kids.

Your wife needs time. Client base can be established anywhere, but it will be hard, and the idea of throwing away the work she has put in for years, is not easy to swallow. She deserves your patience and understanding no matter how unreasonable she's being. This goes for everyone. Your SO goes through med school and residency with you, and they put a lot into it that you don't see. They share your stress, and unfortunately, rarely are able to recognize the joy you feel working towards what you want. They deserve patience, and it might be frustrating, but you just have to ease them into things. Communication is key, so keep them in the loop, and always take the effects of your decisions on them into account. Put yourself in their shoes, and recognize its tough to drop everything and follow you when they need to.

Thanks to all, as gaining different objective perspectives has been really helpful as I try to wade through all of this. I'll try to address several points that previous posters have brought up:
1)It's funny that someone brought up having my wife tell me what her ideal plan would be. I actually did just that last night. Her answer: I don't want to move, I don't think I even want you to just quit, I just want things to stay exactly the way they are. My pointing out that this is no longer possible fell on deaf ears.

2)Sadly, she has refused counseling, although I admit that I hadn't considered the possibility of going to counseling alone.

3) I can see how someone might look at my initial desire to quit and say "marriage >>>>helping people." Actually, the further this goes, the more I remember that the reason I went into medicine in the first place is to help people, and the more I'm reminded of that, the stronger my resolve to push on. There is a particular population under duress that I wish to gear my medical career toward helping, which is a cause I have always been passionate about. As you can imagine, attempts to explain this to my wife were received as "getting on my high horse" and "thinking my career is so much more important than hers."

4) I tried to revisit the idea that at one point, my wife had kind of, sort of approved this place… at least to the greatest degree I could get her to approve any place that wasn't here. (Note that she has NEVER been there- with kids, it's hard to do couples interview travel.) She simply said that she didn't know how she'd feel about moving until she was staring it in the face.

She also said that, while she loves me, she has derived an enormous amount of satisfaction from her own career, especially since I have obviously often had to study, be on call, etc. during med school. She perceives that during residency, I'd be even more tied up and she'd have lost the satisfaction she gets from her career that has made this livable. She also feels that me expecting her to leave our current situation would be the equivalent of her telling me I needed to choose between her and medicine, which she isn't actually trying to do. My take on that: I did not ASK for this either- in fact, I did everything possible to avoid it. When choosing med schools, I happily passed up a much more prestigious (and cheaper!) school in a distant city for the sake of our family. I don't mean to use this as collateral, because it didn't feel like a sacrifice given that it was best for my family, and I'd happily make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

It is true that my response to conflict has usually been just to give in because it's "easier for everyone." If you can stay COMPLETELY consistent with that strategy, it works great, until life deals you a hand you can't reasonably change. It also covers up the fact that you don't have adequate conflict resolution skills in the relationship, and that you haven't primed your SO to respect you as an equal.

Your wife is way more understanding than I initially thought, and honestly she seems to be reacting to this in the same way most people would initially. You need to work harder at making life there seem better (I get that she already agreed, but I would still focus on this). You also need to thank her for going through all of this with you. You need to really emphasize that you recognize how hard it is to just drop what she's worked towards, and that you will work hard to make the transition as easy as it could possibly be. Communication is key. You may feel that these are obvious, but you still need to verbalize it. Recognize that you both have aspirations and perspectives and sometimes it takes time to communicate those things in an effective way.

On the flip side, maybe it's better something like this happened sooner rather than later. The two of you clearly have conflict resolution and communication deficiencies that would one day, if not now, cause major problems in your marriage. I've never been married and am not even currently in a relationship so i may be a little too far removed from a situation like this but I have always had and will continue to have this opinion about pursuing a career in medicine: It's better to be single or dating a fellow med student/resident going through all of this. I couldn't fathom having kids and trying to do med school and residency. I can barely get 4-5hrs of sleep some months, how the hell do you keep a family going doing that? Although I supposed with a supportive SO not in such a time consuming/demanding occupation that it would be easier, but it's a lot of pressure on them. Not to mention having to potentially sacrifice better programs/training due to family and location restraints AFTER you worked so hard in med school. HO w frustrating would it be to know you weren't pursuing your full potential? Yes there are people/couples/families who have made it work and that's wonderful and ideal but the reality is that there are families/couples/people for which it has torn apart.

This is definitely a thread that needs to be stickied. Future applicants need to realize what they're getting themselves in to. There is so much more involved in this decision than "I wan to be a doctor to help people".

I would argue that for families/couples/people for which medical school and residency has torn them apart, those people's relationships would likely have collapsed under the struggles of life. And perhaps its best for it to happen when they're both still young. Is medical school/residency a painful and traumatic experiences, absolutely. But there are a ton of painful and traumatic experiences to be had throughout life, and being able to handle them and rely on each other while experiencing them is pretty much a demonstration of the strength of the relationship. Obviously we don't know, and can never know, but the fact that some couples stay together through the worst of life and others collapse through it kind of exemplifies that. The loss of a child or even a sudden shift in financial stability for example is an experience that strengthens many couples, and tears many others apart.

I agree, that many don't know what they're getting into, and many don't realize how much medical school and residency may change them and their relationship, but I don't think we can blame medicine for a failed relationship any more than we can blame losing a job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Lessons we can learn from OPs mess:
(1) talk to your spouse throughout the process
(2) don't apply to, interview at or rank a program in a region your spouse would not go to, unless everyone is cool with the long distance thing
(3) sometimes a shot at something local in soap is a better idea than ranking a program your spouse has an issue with.
(4) not everybody will get their first, second, third choice. You need to be happy with whatever choice you end up with or don't rank it.
(5) if you aren't getting a ton of interviews in the geography that would work for your family, consider a back-up specialty.

This is a throw-away account. I just learned that I matched low on my list, which is massively devastating for my family. This was unforeseen, as I ranked by geography, which included 2 non competitive programs in a non-competitive specialty. The program I ended up at is a good one for sure...but for my spouse and kids, again, devastating doesn't begin to describe it.

I realize that my matched program doesn't deserve to be short a resident after demonstrating faith in me. With that said, I am a non-trad who had a great career beforehand. I have plenty of student debt, but in short, I want OUT. I consider myself to be one of the few for whom suicide matching would have been the best option. I feel that life is too short to continue on this soul-crushing path, especially at the expense of my family. Also, my program deserves a complement of residents that will be "all in", and truthfully, I won't be. Insert obvious statement here: I should only have ranked places I was willing to go. Well, that ship has sailed. May others learn from my idiocy.

To sum it up: I want out. I want to forget med school ever happened and go back to my prior career, debt be damned. I realize that I'm still very shell shocked and would like to hear of a) others who pulled out of their match commitments and b) general thoughts on ramifications of this that I may not have thought of yet. Much appreciation to respondants, and congrats to those who are happy with their match results.

I am an IMG that interviewed for positions, but was not fortunate enough to match. In all seriousness, if you are not interested in your spot I ask that you PM me and I will be more than happy to forward my CV to you for presentation to your PD. I don't know where the position is but I would be glad to take it even if it was on Mars :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am an IMG that interviewed for positions, but was not fortunate enough to match. In all seriousness, if you are not interested in your spot I ask that you PM me and I will be more than happy to forward my CV to you for presentation to your PD. I don't know where the position is but I would be glad to take it even if it was on Mars :)

Lol, oh good lord. first post.

I've been following this thread and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents as well. A lot of people are criticizing both the OP and the OP's wife's reactions, but they are such typical initial reactions. I also matched very low on my list despite having a very good application (250's on both steps, top quartile, etc) for very uncompetitive specialties. My initial reaction was horrible. I cried. I wanted out. I was angry. I was hurt. I felt like my world ended, even though I ranked the program and just a few weeks ago, it seemed like a perfectly rational option. I thought hard about my list and ranked very deliberately, and I still had thoughts that it would have been better to SOAP or reapply next year. These thoughts are obviously easy to criticize and tear apart as ridiculous, but it's the knee jerk reaction to an unexpected, tremendous disappointment. Now, a few weeks later, after the shock has diffused, I've also come to accept it like OP's wife and can finally start trying to be realistic and pragmatic. Maybe in a few more weeks I'll start being optimistic too. Until then, I'm still working on my early morning awakenings and spontaneous bouts of crying. :(

TL;DR: Thinking hard about your rank list never prepares you for actually getting your match if it's not what you wanted.

Reactions: 4 users

The moral of this story is that if you're going to be a hero and break up an attempted rape you should bring a weapon with you. Getting between a rapist and his victim like that is only going to end with someone getting shot or stabbed. I'm happy to say that Peter made a full recovery, and the guy who shot him got caught, confessed, and is probably going to spend the rest of his life in Angola prison.

I think what he did was heroic.

My friend told me about this story the same day I read the I live in nola and nothings ever happened to me post.

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile

It was heroic. It was also not smart. If the rapist had known how to clear the jam in the piece of garbage Kel-Tec he was using, Peter would have been a dead hero. One of the reasons nothing especially bad has happened to me even though I live in a bad part of a city with a dangerous reputation is that I take steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening. I board up my house from the inside when I'm away for more than a couple days, I don't ever leave anything remotely valuable in sight or unsecured, and I've got a handgun that lives under the seat of my truck next to my toolbox and the can of Fix-a-Flat that will help improve the odds of the bad guy getting sent to the ER rather than me, should I ever find myself in a situation similar to the one Peter got himself into.

It was heroic. It was also not smart. If the rapist had known how to clear the jam in the piece of garbage Kel-Tec he was using, Peter would have been a dead hero. One of the reasons nothing especially bad has happened to me even though I live in a bad part of a city with a dangerous reputation is that I take steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening. I board up my house from the inside when I'm away for more than a couple days, I don't ever leave anything remotely valuable in sight or unsecured, and I've got a handgun that lives under the seat of my truck next to my toolbox and the can of Fix-a-Flat that will help improve the odds of the bad guy getting sent to the ER rather than me, should I ever find myself in a situation similar to the one Peter got himself into.

Although completely off topic, Fix-a-Flat isn't a great option for fixing flat tires. If you do so, it greatly impairs the ability of a tire repair shop to patch your tire in the future -- which is usually cheap and much better than buying a new tire.

Reactions: 5 users
Although completely off topic, Fix-a-Flat isn't a great option for fixing flat tires. If you do so, it greatly impairs the ability of a tire repair shop to patch your tire in the future -- which is usually cheap and much better than buying a new tire.

True. It's just in case I get a second flat or the spare is flat. I grew up in a house that was 35 miles of gravel road away from town, so getting two flats in one trip was a realistic possibility. Even though I'm now in a city with plenty of tire shops, old habits die hard.

Slightly better as you could get a permanent license, but if you get through one year, you can get through three.

Nope! Disagree. "If you get through one year, you can get through three"...
That's assuming that there are no organic reasons why medicine seems like such a burden.
I had a colleague who quit after 2.5 years. Could not go on. Severe depression. Literally could not wake up in the mornings, and was calling out continuously, until was given an ultimatum to leave.