I want a car!! Any advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Sparda, want to see just how destructive buying a VW is to the US economy? Read this.

Ford = 89 American jobs per 2500 cars X 9 ancillary jobs created by that worker = 801 American jobs per 2500 cars sold

VW = 21 American jobs per 2500 cars X 9 ancillary jobs created by those workers = 189 American jobs per 2500 cars sold

Each Ford would provide ~ 4.24 times as many jobs

------

VW sold in the US last year = 213,454
If the people that bought VWs bought Fords (or GM or Chrysler) instead:
213,454 X (89/21) = 904,638 more jobs.

So just think. You and your fellow asshats that love overrated ass VW "German engineering" cost this country damn near a million jobs.

You SUCK!
----

Go Amurica!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
According to the most recent industry studies, if not similar, better. The most dependable car in the country last year was the Fusion Hybrid. It looks nice, too.

Ford has always made a dependable car.
Supposedly you can thank Mazda for Ford's dependability.

With a house, don't forget maintanence like repainting and remodeling. Bathrooms and kitchens aren't going to meet your expectations, or needs for that matter, forever.

I'm happy I bought a house. Payment is $565 per month. Totally Homestead exempt (no parish, aka county, property tax). Bought it with an FHA loan at 4.75%. Lived in it before... like whenever I was growing up lol! Once the 20% for PMI is fulfilled, the payment will drop to $530 a month... which is nearly $300 less per month than my old apartment at $825 a month with half the space.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a house, don't forget maintanence like repainting and remodeling. Bathrooms and kitchens aren't going to meet your expectations, or needs for that matter, forever.

I'm happy I bought a house. Payment is $565 per month. Totally Homestead exempt (no parish, aka county, property tax). Bought it with an FHA loan at 4.75%. Lived in it before... like whenever I was growing up lol! Once the 20% for PMI is fulfilled, the payment will drop to $530 a month... which is nearly $300 less per month than my old apartment at $825 a month with half the space.

Huh? What was the cost of your home, like $80,000? This is unrealistic in about 99% of the country.

I wonder what kinda mileage he gets where he is. Sam Walton died almost 20 years ago.

Oh man, I have no idea. Someone told me that when I was complaining about driving a 6 year old car. They told me really rich people like Sam Walton don't care what they drive so I shouldn't either. LOL...

Huh? What was the cost of your home, like $80,000? This is unrealistic in about 99% of the country.
A little less. Plus the owner put up a few thousand towards closing costs.
My family thought I was buying it on the high side. They had bought their houses in the $60K range. The buyer agent thought otherwise, though. He even said it was "cheap".
I ended up going with what the agent thought, and now we're all happy, my mom included.

A little less. Plus the owner put up a few thousand towards closing costs.
My family thought I was buying it on the high side. They had bought their houses in the $60K range. The buyer agent thought otherwise, though. He even said it was "cheap".
I ended up going with what the agent thought, and now we're all happy, my mom included.

80K house? 60K house? I think the cheapest house I ever seen is 110k and that was a really small house. LOL...

My first house was 93K. It was a nice house too. I miss housing prices in the South. And property taxes too. Sigh.

jd-power-loyalty-study.jpg

Woo! Go Ford! They passed Toyota as the #2 auto sales leader a few days ago, too.

It's all those Tea Partiers trying to "take back" America :p

Oh man, I have no idea. Someone told me that when I was complaining about driving a 6 year old car. They told me really rich people like Sam Walton don't care what they drive so I shouldn't either. LOL...

Well, you probably shouldn't complain about driving a 6 year old car, since you didn't pay for it and don't pay for maintenance or insurance!

Well, you probably shouldn't complain about driving a 6 year old car, since you didn't pay for it and don't pay for maintenance or insurance!

The sense of entitlement that some people have is incredible. I'd like to help my daughter out financially as much as reasonably possible while she's in college but if she ended up with that type of attitude I would feel like a total failure as a parent. I'll probably make her get a job and pay her own bills just to be safe :smuggrin:

I'm with WVU on Fords. The whole American made thing is nice I suppose, but all I know is mine was reasonably priced, drives well, and hasn't had a single mechanical issue in the 3 years I've owned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, one bad thing I have to say about my car is that when you have a snowstorm like the one we just got, I can't go anywhere until the roads are fully plowed. I only have like 4 inches of ground clearance. (My own fault anyway since I lowered it more than it was already lowered.)

For the love of God do not by a brand new car. One of the worst financial purchases you can make is buying a new car. You lose thousands of dollars in value the minute you drive it off the lot.

Find something 'new' with under 10,000k miles.

Agreed. I was about to say the same exact thing.

Buy used if you can, but only if you really love the car and it's known to be reliable. Get the best deal possible. I got a great deal on a new car because I was a certified ski instructor. You never know what affiliation will give you a discount of a few thousand dollars. It ended up being similar in pricing to the same model, used.

If you buy what you absolutely love (and you're not easily swayed by newer, prettier things), you can drive the car a lot longer. This will save you some cash overall. Trading vehicles every few years is pretty darn expensive.

Hey Sparda, want to see just how destructive buying a VW is to the US economy? Read this.

Ford = 89 American jobs per 2500 cars X 9 ancillary jobs created by that worker = 801 American jobs per 2500 cars sold

VW = 21 American jobs per 2500 cars X 9 ancillary jobs created by those workers = 189 American jobs per 2500 cars sold

Each Ford would provide ~ 4.24 times as many jobs

------

VW sold in the US last year = 213,454
If the people that bought VWs bought Fords (or GM or Chrysler) instead:
213,454 X (89/21) = 904,638 more jobs.

So just think. You and your fellow asshats that love overrated ass VW "German engineering" cost this country damn near a million jobs.

You SUCK!
----

Go Amurica!

If Ford made similar cars, then I might consider it. If Ford made the Ford Fiesta available with 200-250 BHP, then I would instantly buy it.

I like American muscle cars. The engineers do a fantastic job on the engine, the designers make it look like sex on the outside, but why does it have to be a piece of **** in the interior? I want all the amenities and gizmos that come with European/Japanese cars.

I was thinking about getting a Dodge Charger or a Dodge Challenger. I went to the dealership, test drove the SRT-8, but the interior sucks. Quit making cars with so much ****ing plastic. Give me some leather, some wood trim, suede on the steering wheel and shifter knob.

All that being said, my next car is most likely going to be a Cadillac CTS-V.

2009-cadillac-cts-v-vs.-2008-bmw-m5-smg.jpg

2009-cadillac-cts-v-18_460x0w.jpg

Now that's a domestic auto we can all support. Strap on your toupee grandpa, we're going for a Sunday drive.

I did pay for the last oil change and I pay for gasoline! :p

If Ford made similar cars, then I might consider it. If Ford made the Ford Fiesta available with 200-250 BHP, then I would instantly buy it.

I like American muscle cars. The engineers do a fantastic job on the engine, the designers make it look like sex on the outside, but why does it have to be a piece of **** in the interior? I want all the amenities and gizmos that come with European/Japanese cars.

I was thinking about getting a Dodge Charger or a Dodge Challenger. I went to the dealership, test drove the SRT-8, but the interior sucks. Quit making cars with so much ****ing plastic. Give me some leather, some wood trim, suede on the steering wheel and shifter knob.

Although the interior is not quite up to par in the 5.0 2011 Mustang, it deserves serious consideration between the Dodge Challenger and Charger. The premium package alleviates some of this while still costing less than half than the Cadiilac CTS-V with a lower curb weight as well as balanced handling.

images

Honestly, the fact that it costs less than half than the M3 and CTS-V while still pulling down 12.3 stock on the quarter mile says enough to me. 17/26 suggested EPA fuel economy isn't so bad either compared to 14/20 on the M3 and 13/19 on the CTS-V.

(I'm not a huge nut on these type of figures, just pointing out that ford hit a home run with this one.)

Where does your spending money come from, since you don't have a job and don't borrow money for living expenses? Do you get an allowance from your parents?

:oops: I do have an allowance...I guess an allowance isn't my own money huh? :(:(:(

Well, I applied for Walgreen's summer internship program and a hospital position...I hope I get one of those jobs...

Although the interior is not quite up to par in the 5.0 2011 Mustang, it deserves serious consideration between the Dodge Challenger and Charger. The premium package alleviates some of this while still costing less than half than the Cadiilac CTS-V with a lower curb weight as well as balanced handling.

images

Honestly, the fact that it costs less than half than the M3 and CTS-V while still pulling down 12.3 stock on the quarter mile says enough to me. 17/26 suggested EPA fuel economy isn't so bad either compared to 14/20 on the M3 and 13/19 on the CTS-V.

(I'm not a huge nut on these type of figures, just pointing out that ford hit a home run with this one.)

I didn't like the really heavy clutch in the Mustang.

You guys make it seem like its a crime to want to have a nice car. Some people actually like and enjoy cars and at least for me ever since I was a little kid I've wanted a pretty nice sports car.

I had no idea so many pharmacist were rolling around in 5+ year old cars and them being Fords.. I guess I have a distorted view on what to do with a 100k+ salary.

You guys make it seem like its a crime to want to have a nice car. Some people actually like and enjoy cars and at least for me ever since I was a little kid I've wanted a pretty nice sports car.

I had no idea so many pharmacist were rolling around in 5+ year old cars and them being Fords.. I guess I have a distorted view on what to do with a 100k+ salary.

OMG, you have no idea. I cannot tell you how many (mostly older) pharmacists I have worked with who drive crappy cars and live in trailers! Look, I have nothing against either (I don't intend on wasting money on a new car, ever and I was raised in a trailer) but it's not what I picture when I think 6 figures. I mean I hope their children appreciate all the money they presumably are building up for them...

Side note, I know of one pharmacist who swears he retired because he could not stand all the alimony he was earning for his ex-wife. :laugh:

OMG, you have no idea. I cannot tell you how many (mostly older) pharmacists I have worked with who drive crappy cars and live in trailers! Look, I have nothing against either (I don't intend on wasting money on a new car, ever and I was raised in a trailer) but it's not what I picture when I think 6 figures. I mean I hope their children appreciate all the money they presumably are building up for them...

Side note, I know of one pharmacist who swears he retired because he could not stand all the alimony he was earning for his ex-wife. :laugh:

My old boss told me that he could afford to go out and buy a Porsche but he said it would be tacky. He told me that the house and the car should match. He lives in a small suburban 4 bedroom ranch type house. Apparently, it would be tacky to have a Porsche, yet live in a small house like that?

I'm kind of a car nut, but I waited for a year and a half before I bought a new one. I saved up for it.

It's a 2005 300 SRT-8, over 500hp now, has about 12K miles on it now. I actually drive it to work since I've changed jobs. Couple of things to keep in mind:

If your working at the local CVS or WAG, if you tick off a customer, they will know the BMW, Mercedes, etc. in the lot is yours. Seen it a million times ;)

My thought is, if you can't pay cash, you don't need it.

My old boss told me that he could afford to go out and buy a Porsche but he said it would be tacky. He told me that the house and the car should match. He lives in a small suburban 4 bedroom ranch type house. Apparently, it would be tacky to have a Porsche, yet live in a small house like that?
There's a lady in my neighborhood who drives a Mercedes, and she looks tacky driving it. The houses are older, historic and modest, so a flashy car looks funny.

Really? Where I work, there are gazillion of BMW, Mercedes, and sport cars parked everyday in front of the store... Oh, the average house prices here is around $1.1M for a 3 bedroom... I guess I don't have to worry if I somehow managed to make a *****ic decision to buy a $50k liability toy that a customer will slash off the tires..

There's a lady in my neighborhood who drives a Mercedes, and she looks tacky driving it. The houses are older, historic and modest, so a flashy car looks funny.

However, he drives a Volkswagen Golf. His wife keeps telling him that he's 57 years old now, and it's time for him to start driving a "grown-up" car. It's kinda true, when I see a Golf or a Rabbit on the road, I'm expecting to find a "boy-racer" types behind the wheel.

It's not a crime to want a nice car. It's not a bad idea to get a nice car IF you already have all your student loans paid off and you already own a very nice house. If you have those two things down then go ahead and buy a nice car.

Most people that just graduated pharmacy school have student loans AND they are NOT homeowners. So it will be very stupid to buy a nice expensive car when you don't have those two MORE IMPORTANT things to take care of first.

Oh and it is extremely tacky when you drive a nice car but live in a box! Most medicaid patients drive very nice/expensive cars, but live in the trailor park. :rolleyes: It is much wiser to live in a very nice house and drive a average car then vice versa. There is nothing wrong with living in a $1M house and drive a honda or volvo, I know people that do that and they are loaded. However driving a porsche and living in the trailor park is very TACKY. :laugh:

Oh and it is extremely tacky when you drive a nice car but live in a box! Most medicaid patients drive very nice/expensive cars, but live in the trailor park. :rolleyes: It is much wiser to live in a very nice house and drive a average car then vice versa. There is nothing wrong with living in a $1M house and drive a honda or volvo, I know people that do that and they are loaded. However driving a porsche and living in the trailor park is very TACKY. :laugh:

I wish I was on medicaid so I could drive an Escalade. That's how it works, right? I think they give you the keys at the medicaid office now just to make things a little easier. Custom rims optional (first come, first serve) if I recall correctly.

Sometimes I really wonder about people.

I wish I was on medicaid so I could drive an Escalade. That's how it works, right? I think they give you the keys at the medicaid office now just to make things a little easier. Custom rims optional (first come, first serve) if I recall correctly.

Sometimes I really wonder about people.

I am not saying the medicaid offices give away free cars. I am saying that most medicaid people have these things in common:
1) they don't like to work
2) they like to spend a lot of money on cars and anything that would make them seem like they are very rich to others. They LOVE it and want everyone to think that they are rich.
3) they hate to spend a dime on anything that won't help them seem rich to other people (like prescriptions for example! :rolleyes: and houses b/c people can't see where they live at! :laugh:).
4) they all are on a million different prescriptions...they LOVE to be on pain meds. :rolleyes:
5) they all have children on Adderall.
6) they all have at least 6+ children with the woman still pregnant.
7) none of them can wait for more then 5 minutes on any prescription.

^ is your typical medicaid person! :laugh: You can't deny this!

^ is your typical medicaid person! You can't deny this!

I wouldn't dare! If anything I think you are giving them too much credit.

You forgot they smell bad and are of low intellect. Also you forgot that those 6 children have 7 different dads. Also they are ungrateful leeches, riding the backs of hard working decent Americans.

^ is your typical medicaid person! You can't deny this![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't dare! If anything I think you are giving them too much credit.

You forgot they smell bad and are of low intellect. Also you forgot that those 6 children have 7 different dads. Also they are ungrateful leeches, riding the backs of hard working decent Americans.

Those are true too, but I figure I'll be nice today. :)

Wow. Only one word for the last few posts in this thread. Despicable. I'd like to print it out and send it to the professionalism committee at your school. I'm sure they would be super proud to see what wonderful, compassionate human beings attend their fine institution. :rolleyes:

:lol:

So when is your break over?

Going back to school on Jan 10th. Kinda excited b/c I need something to do b/c shopping and watching movies everyday is getting tiring too. :eek: When is your break over? how was it?

Wow. Only one word for the last few posts in this thread. Despicable. I'd like to print it out and send it to the professionalism committee at your school. I'm sure they would be super proud to see what wonderful, compassionate human beings attend their fine institution. :rolleyes:

I didn't say there was anything wrong with medicaid people. I am just saying from my experience of working retail, most medicaid patients have those traits.

Spoil sport.

I hope it is clear my posts are in jest? I don't think the medicaid office really gives away Escalates and I just kept upping the ante from there (escalating, if you will). My views are basically the opposite of the above, which I thought was pretty clear - maybe not.

Going back to school on Jan 10th. Kinda excited b/c I need something to do b/c shopping and watching movies everyday is getting tiring too. :eek: When is your break over? how was it?

Just started back yesterday. The break was really nice. Saw my grand-nephew (one month old - so cute!). Worked a lot. It will be nice to see everyone and hear how their breaks were.

Just started back yesterday. The break was really nice. Saw my grand-nephew (one month old - so cute!). Worked a lot. It will be nice to see everyone and hear how their breaks were.

Same here! I am looking for a summer internship as we speak and it is so hard to find!!! But i really do need a job for the summertime!!! Grand-nephew? awwww.....:love: I want to see a baby too!!!

Get ready to STUDY HARD and have NO life until the summer time! :/

Spoil sport.

I hope it is clear my posts are in jest? I don't think the medicaid office really gives away Escalates and I just kept upping the ante from there (escalating, if you will). My views are basically the opposite of the above, which I thought was pretty clear - maybe not.

I figured as much, although I wasn't totally sure. I guess I just don't think it's funny to rip on the poor, especially when it's done by someone who has never worked a day in their life and has had everything given to them by Mommy and Daddy. I blame you for encouraging it! :mad:

I figured as much, although I wasn't totally sure. I guess I just don't think it's funny to rip on the poor, especially when it's done by someone who has never worked a day in their life and has had everything given to them by Mommy and Daddy. I blame you for encouraging it! :mad:

Guilty! I just feel like we have had that conversation enough times I wanted to try a different angle. Plus, I was in a mood, what can I say? :D

What can I do for punishment? ;)

I worked as a pharmacy tech before and I worked at Bebe for 3 years! :p

In all seriousness, I have seen a few medicaid patients like that from the short period of time I worked at a retail pharmacy. So it definetly doesn't cover every single patient. I was more trying to make fun of people that drive nice cars and live in crappy houses then anything else.

Oh and I am sorry about what happen to your daughter. I was going to tell you that in the other thread but it got closed.

Oh and talking about WORK, hell I want to WORK, I NEED TO WORK during the summer time to get my hours done!!! someone please give me a summer internship!!!!!!!!!!!!!