I think seating in the MCAT is important...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTheHorror

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I think where you sit has quite a bit to do with your performance on the MCAT...

I took the MCAT twice, the first time being in a crowded room with a little desk, and didn't do so hot...

My second MCAT, where I got my own big desk, in the very front, with a white wall in front of my face, I did about 5 points better, bringing me over 30...I did study more, but not that much, really...

I get easily distracted, as I know a LOT of premeds do, so I think about 3 MCAT points is attributed to not being distracted at all...

Members don't see this ad.

I think seating, location, temperature, whether you're a day or night person, and if you brush up and down or in circles matters (ok, not the last one). I purposely registered for a location NOT on my campus, so I could avoid the hysterical antics during breaks . (Plus, what if we were in a room where a class was held that I didn't do so well in?) All neurotic ideas, but... As it turns out, it seems like all the locations around here hold the test in the business building, anyway. There was a guy that sat in my line of sight during the test whom I sat next to everyday in my prep class; that was actually a calming influence on me. So yeah, I agree, little stuff matters. It all goes to your state of mind, and this is a test of your skill, grace under pressure, and stamina. :luck:

Our PR teacher recommended deliberately trying to study/prepare in a noisy, crowded place like the undergrad library or a coffee shop, so we could get ourselves into a mental state where we can cocoon ourselves against any outside influences and think clearly. This will come in handy when you have to perform complicated maneuvers in loud, busy, chaotic places...and when you're taking the Step I next to a person with allergies, pencil tap disorder, or loud breathing habits. When I took the MCAT the proctor lady kept strolling the aisles in front of our desks, and she was sort of large so it wasn't easy to ignore her, but thanks to studying surrounded by freshmen on cell phones and businessmen ordering too-fancy coffee drinks, I was able to forget her after the first couple passes.

Prior to MCAT day, my friend (who also was taking the exam) and I drove over to the school and scoped out the building. (Our ticket said we'd be taking the exam on the third floor of such-and-such building). We determined which rooms had those small crappy desks, and which ones had large tables. When we finally went in to take the exam, we took notice of which rooms were being filled, and got in line to register only after we saw them filling up the "good" rooms. I think scoping the place out beforehand was invaluable as far as saving me the sure frustration that one of those little desks would have given me.