I score the same in my core sciences and "easy" courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smh343

Reaction score
So I don't really know how to explain it but this has been an issue since the beginning of M1 year last year. I don't care much since I'm not going for a competitive specialty, but despite getting solid As in all my core science classes, I'm still about average class rank because I get the same scores (91-94%) in our equally-weighted "easy/blowoff" courses as opposed to ~100% like everyone else.

These are courses mostly consisting of clinical notes and reflections/essays. I promise I'm not one of those types who complains and dismisses those kinds of classes and I do put a lot of effort in. Like I'll get marked off on the most random things that my friends won't (Like recently for not documenting a GU exam on a guy with a wrist strain, or a full CV exam for a typical URI), and my classmates always say "oh, I thought it was completion based and they gave everyone 100s" Or I'll spend at least twice as long writing a reflection that I do with my friends, (we do it basically the same way) then I'll get an 80% and they get 100s and are not marked off for the things I was when we compare.

I understand this may happen sometimes, but it's literally every course where it seems like everyone else is graded by completion but myself and a few others get actually graded. Also for clinical or teaching-based evaluations, a few of us almost always get SPs or instructors notorious for never giving high scores.

I don't know if this is based on how things are assigned/read by last name or what, but it's become a systematic problem across most courses and I don't know how one brings this up to any staff/faculty, if I should even bother at all? I don't want to sound whiny. Anyone have a similar issue happen at their school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's pretty common for that to happen in the clinical skill courses. You have a lot of non-lecturing faculty running those courses on perhaps one of the most subjective matters in all of medicine. Many of them have their own different style too of what they like and what they don't like. Since you're not failing and passing comfortably, I'd do your best to learn what you can from whatever critique you get, and move on from there. It's really not worth stressing over at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
It's pretty common for that to happen in the clinical skill courses. You have a lot of non-lecturing faculty running those courses on perhaps one of the most subjective matters in all of medicine. Many of them have their own different style too of what they like and what they don't like. Since you're not failing and passing comfortably, I'd do your best to learn what you can from whatever critique you get, and move on from there. It's really not worth stressing over at this point.
Thanks, guess I just needed some reassurance. It's really not a big deal. 3rd year is worth much more anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guess I just needed some reassurance. It's really not a big deal. 3rd year is worth much more anyway.
I totally get why you're frustrated, has happened to me before. You just have to recognize your performance on those is mostly out of your control. You just learn over time not to take them too seriously

So I don't really know how to explain it but this has been an issue since the beginning of M1 year last year. I don't care much since I'm not going for a competitive specialty, but despite getting solid As in all my core science classes, I'm still about average class rank because I get the same scores (91-94%) in our equally-weighted "easy/blowoff" courses as opposed to ~100% like everyone else.

These are courses mostly consisting of clinical notes and reflections/essays. I promise I'm not one of those types who complains and dismisses those kinds of classes and I do put a lot of effort in. Like I'll get marked off on the most random things that my friends won't (Like recently for not documenting a GU exam on a guy with a wrist strain, or a full CV exam for a typical URI), and my classmates always say "oh, I thought it was completion based and they gave everyone 100s" Or I'll spend at least twice as long writing a reflection that I do with my friends, (we do it basically the same way) then I'll get an 80% and they get 100s and are not marked off for the things I was when we compare.

I understand this may happen sometimes, but it's literally every course where it seems like everyone else is graded by completion but myself and a few others get actually graded. Also for clinical or teaching-based evaluations, a few of us almost always get SPs or instructors notorious for never giving high scores.

I don't know if this is based on how things are assigned/read by last name or what, but it's become a systematic problem across most courses and I don't know how one brings this up to any staff/faculty, if I should even bother at all? I don't want to sound whiny. Anyone have a similar issue happen at their school?

Thank you!
something to get used to; the subjective grading. It will be your bread and butter come MS3 year. Don't worry too much about it.

Have you ever considered that your classmates are lying?

Or maybe the reason you're doing so well on exams is you're slacking off on the easy stuff just to get by. And that's fine too.

Last edited:
have you considered that you are neurotic? Who actually worries about getting a 91 on something

Have you considered it’s a conspiracy and the man is out to get you?

Or maybe your classmates aren’t blowing off the easy blowoff classes.