I really really cannot find anyone to shadow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent395

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've tried calling podiatrists in my area and the only ones who are doing shadowing due to covid are 3-4 hours away and I don't have transportation. I wanted to apply this cycle, my MCAT score should be back early October but I'm not sure what to do. The only thing I have is virtual shadowing with webshadowers and other programs like that. I tried contacting a few schools about the situation and nobody responded to me. Should I keep looking and wait until January? I'm very lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Call a few local podiatrists and see if you can just have a phone call with them discussing their day in day out, cases they see in clinic, etc and count those as hours.

See if you can do the same as above but with a video call. Contact multiple podiatrists and see if you can do that instead of inperson shadowing.

If you're still antsy about it- just get your application together and apply now without the shadowing hours. Some schools may offer you an interview with contingency to finish x hours of shadowing before matriculation.

Worse case- there is nothing wrong with applying next year and using this year to do everything you wanted to do in life. You will never get that time back when you start school or residency. Period. It only gets busier.

Reactions: 1 users
Call a few local podiatrists and see if you can just have a phone call with them discussing their day in day out, cases they see in clinic, etc and count those as hours.

See if you can do the same as above but with a video call. Contact multiple podiatrists and see if you can do that instead of inperson shadowing.

If you're still antsy about it- just get your application together and apply now without the shadowing hours. Some schools may offer you an interview with contingency to finish x hours of shadowing before matriculation.

Worse case- there is nothing wrong with applying next year and using this year to do everything you wanted to do in life. You will never get that time back when you start school or residency. Period. It only gets busier.
That makes sense, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact Scholl College, I know they were offering virtual shadowing sessions for last year's intake.

If you are in NYC area, contact NYCPM or schedule a visit and they will link you up with a podiatrist to shadow.

Scholl has a program where you can do a virtual shadow...I'd inquire about that if I were you. Also continue to cold call. I did for like 2 weeks and eventually got a yes. I got accepted with literally like 4 hours of shadowing. I just needed the letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 user
Scholl has a program where you can do a virtual shadow...I'd inquire about that if I were you. Also continue to cold call. I did for like 2 weeks and eventually got a yes. I got accepted with literally like 4 hours of shadowing. I just needed the letter of rec.
That's great to hear. I just sent them an email inquiring about the virtual shadowing. Should I call instead?

That's great to hear. I just sent them an email inquiring about the virtual shadowing. Should I call instead?
You could...the person who is in charge of the admission relations does take quite a bit to respond (few days...even maybe a week). So wouldn't even be a terrible idea. It's definitely a really good opportunity especially if you need the shadowing time. I'd also continue to cold call. It took me weeks before I got just one call back...he was really nice, I only shadowed for like 5 hours (covid regulations and safety) and he wrote my letter of rec. I even called like three times to see. Some people will find it annoying but the people you care about will see it as an eager future physician taking the steps they need to achieve their dreams.

You could...the person who is in charge of the admission relations does take quite a bit to respond (few days...even maybe a week). So wouldn't even be a terrible idea. It's definitely a really good opportunity especially if you need the shadowing time. I'd also continue to cold call. It took me weeks before I got just one call back...he was really nice, I only shadowed for like 5 hours (covid regulations and safety) and he wrote my letter of rec. I even called like three times to see. Some people will find it annoying but the people you care about will see it as an eager future physician taking the steps they need to achieve their dreams.
They emailed me the following day and are currently setting up a schedule. What is the virtual shadowing like? I have past shadowing experience but the podiatrist I worked with doesn't return my calls.

They emailed me the following day and are currently setting up a schedule. What is the virtual shadowing like? I have past shadowing experience but the podiatrist I worked with doesn't return my calls.
I did not do the virtual shadow so I am not entirely sure...but here is what it reads in an email they sent me:

"We appreciate your interest in the Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine. One of the requirements to start Rosalind Franklin University's Podiatric Medicine program is shadowing and submitting a letter of recommendation from a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. This requirement has posed to be more challenging to complete during the COVID pandemic for some, but we have a solution!

I would like to personally invite you to a special virtual shadowing session with a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine from Scholl College. This session will give you an opportunity to learn about the profession, ask live questions, and complete the Doctor of Podiatric letter of recommendation requirement for our program."

Hey just wanted to give everyone a heads up, the virtual shadowing will waive the requirement only for Scholl's program. Makes sense and I'm still going to attend, was just hoping for something I could apply towards other programs. Will keep everyone updated