I Need Your Help (new guy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GLW102

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been directed to this forum by an adviser and classmate. I'm currently in my second semester here at the Texas A&M Health Science Center (medical school) in College Station, TX and am enjoying the arduous life that is a preclinicial education. Anyway, I am very passionate and focused about becoming a plastic surgeon, but my school's very 'primary care focused' and doesn't like answering questions about this specialty, so I was wondering if all or some of you could answer a few questions and give me your insights/experience/advice. I appreciate anything of that matter. My email's [email protected] (MAN that's long!) but feel free to respond here, too.

1. Is it better to apply to a plastic surgery residency directly out of medical school, or to go through a general surgery/orthopedic surgery residency first and THEN apply for plastic surgery?
2. What should my class rank, USMLE score, and general other statistics be to be competetive?
3. Where can I find a listing of all the plastic surgery residency programs available so as to start communicating with them? And should I do that?
4. What should I do to make myself a more competetive applicant with regards to rotations, auditions, and research?
5. What kind of research could I do during this summer between 1st and 2nd year to increase my portfolio?
6. Do any of you know anyone in my area of Texas who is a practicing plastic surgeon who I could contact to establish a connection with someone already in the field? If not, how should I go about doing that?
7. What other general advice would you give me with regards to preparing myself and making myself more competetive for a good plastic surgery residency program?

Thanks so much, I don't have much time to plan and work things out with classes and all else (I'm married and have a cute little 14 month old girl), so I sincerely appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks, have a good one,
Glenn

Members don't see this ad.

As for scores they should be the best as you can get with your abilities. Next, get to know your faculty, which happen to be some pretty good people. I know their in Temple but im sure they be happy to help you out. They would also be impressed by your dedication. Its Scott&White, check out their web page.

Also, this is not where you learn about plastics, check out www.plastics2002.com and especially read stuff off the old site.

GLW102 said:
1. Is it better to apply to a plastic surgery residency directly out of medical school, or to go through a general surgery/orthopedic surgery residency first and THEN apply for plastic surgery?

You will hear all kinds of opinions, many of them violent. Ignore them all because no one knows for sure. There are good arguments for and against both, and there are good and bad surgeons who trained in either format. Integrated/combined programs are definitely well accepted in the plastics world these days -- not by everyone, but enough so that you should have very little trouble finding a private or academic job afterwards at even the highest level institutions/practices. That said, if you like gen surg a lot, it may be useful to go that route in case you decide plastics isn't what you want.

GLW102 said:
2. What should my class rank, USMLE score, and general other statistics be to be competetive?

As good as possible, as the previous person said, although there is no definite line. I'll give you very rough ranges, although most people who match will be on the upper part of my range, and some people will be below the whole range. Many schools don't rank, so that's not a great measure ... although the upper half is definitely better than the bottom half. USMLE scores also range wildly, but above average would be a good start. Study like your life depends on scoring > 250, then be satisfied and buy yourself a drink when you don't even get close. As far as other stats, there are very few. AOA helps but isn't necessary either.

GLW102 said:
3. Where can I find a listing of all the plastic surgery residency programs available so as to start communicating with them? And should I do that?

That's a tough one, but try plastics2002.com to start. I'm hoping to start a resource site after I graduate, but who knows if it'll happen. the FREIDAS database is a rough guide, but it's hard to tell which is independent, integrated, or combined. As far as communicating with them, I would suggest sticking to the few near you so that there is good reason to bother them -- i.e., you can contact them to shadow them, or to do research with them. Don't bother distant programs just to say hi.

GLW102 said:
4. What should I do to make myself a more competetive applicant with regards to rotations, auditions, and research?

Again, you will find violent opinions. However, for your sake, at least do one rotation to see what it's like. Beyond that, I actually never got asked in any interview how many rotations I did, so the number isn't as big a deal as some say. I did 3, and one was a big waste of time because the program was malignant. But the third was a gem because they like to match rotators, so luckily I didn't just do 2. It's hard to say because you can't tell which programs prefer rotators. In general though, rotations are good for 3 things: finding out if you like the field (very important, and a reason why the malignant rotation was actually not a waste of my time), getting letters/advisors, and potentially kicking butt and impressing them. As far as point 3 ... that's the risk ... if you don't impress them at least a little, your chances are not good at matching there. On the other hand, you have to impress them A LOT for them to really want you to match there.

In the end, I would say somewhere around 2-3 is good. Pick a place where you can have good mentors, and pick a place where you might want to end up.

GLW102 said:
5. What kind of research could I do during this summer between 1st and 2nd year to increase my portfolio?

Do research that you are passionate about, whatever it may be. If it's in plastics, great. If not, it's really not a big deal at all. Essentially, doing some research is important, but much more important is that you can really talk about it with some knowledge and passion.

GLW102 said:
7. What other general advice would you give me with regards to preparing myself and making myself more competetive for a good plastic surgery residency program?

Work your butt off, but also keep playing. Plastic surgeons imho are some of the most fun people in medicine, and they like to find similar people. Ultimately, they want smart people who are also good, fun people to work with. To tell the truth, that's what every specialty looks for. I would say if you work your butt off and get 1) the numbers, 2) the eye-catchers (and this may very well be something you do for fun), 3) the letters (you need people to say you work hard and are fun to work with, with sincerity), and 4) some research you can talk about ... you are pretty set.

It's a lot, but if you keep your nose to the grindstone and stay diligent, it'll get you places. If not, there's always gen surg plus fellowship.

pix

Members don't see this ad :)
G-

The websites with 4 years comments on plastics programs, written by applicants and residents are:

<www.plasticseducation.com> It changed names this spring from plastics2002.com.

The old forum archives, which you should read... are located at old.plastics2002.com (no "www.")

Theres alot of good info on the site, and theres some BS too. Its tough to get through, but the basic contents are a good primer.

Im happy to help you as well. Email me at [email protected].

That's exactly the type of thorough, well thought-out reply I was looking for...I had kind of given up on getting answers from this site for a while, but went ahead and got a mentor from here in College Station. He was a ton of help and is getting me directed as well. I totally appreciate your input and advice, the surgeon told me essentially the same thing so it's good to get affirmation. I'm putting my shoulder to the wheel and pushing along, so I hope it works out. I'll be in touch, though!

toofache32 said:
Just curious....why Plastics?

I've always been fascinated by surgery in general, and especially by plastics. I always wanted to be involved with medicine as well. My grandfather was a plastic surgeon and an incredible role model for me for as long as I can remember before he passed away, and he touched the lives of many, many people, as I think most doctors can, but with his profession and abilities, he was especially able to improve others' lives (I won't get into details, just trust me :) ). I guess personality wise, I am more of a 'surgeon' mentality and like to work towards resolving a problem and seeing results within a relatively shorter amount of time as compared to a large majority of other specialties. I guess other intangibles that may/may not be important: I love working with my hands, have been a sculptor/artist since a child (heavily involved in that hobby during high school and college), and think that I the lifestyle of surgery eventually (in 15+ years probably) is what I want to provide for my wife, daughter and future kids. I hope I don't get any 'violent' responses, that's essentially the summary points, though there are many more.