How much training do you guys get in liposuction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im wondering how much you get during your residency years, theres a lot of docs practicing lipo without being FACS and thats scary - we're talking IM's here doing lipo :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Poety said:
Im wondering how much you get during your residency years, theres a lot of docs practicing lipo without being FACS and thats scary - we're talking IM's here doing lipo :scared:

You don't need to be a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons to be board certified in General or Plastic Surgery. And as long as you are board elligible you are not restricted from practicing plastics. I don't know what city, state or country you are in that lets the IM docs perform surgery. As for how much lipo training a Plastic Surgery Resident has it varies by program as to how much emphasis is placed on cosmetic surgery versus reconstructive surgery.

Well, in them there states, I would imagine there is a lot of lipo experience.
I'm just worried about exhacerbating my lateral epicondylitis

Poety said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jocomama said:
Well, in them there states, I would imagine there is a lot of lipo experience.
I'm just worried about exhacerbating my lateral epicondylitis

Oh I shouldn't have put "here' as in this state, I meant "here" in general sorry for the mix up. I was curious about your training in that procedure particularly and being a board certified plastic surgeon (I wouldn't want a general surgeon doing lipo on me) sorry for any mixups.

Joco:
I hear you about the epicondylitis. I did 1.6L worth the other day and I just about died. Liposuction = manual labor.

Liposuction is being done along with numerous other cosmetic procedures by numerous individuals who have little or no training in surgery, let alone training in plastic surgery. Anyone with a medical license can open up shop and claim to be a cosmetic surgeon. Tons of OB practices offer cosmetic procedures. FP and IM clinics have been offering botox injections for quite some time. In the old days there was a specialty called general practice. I think the modern day equivalent is family practice. The GP's used to do minor surgeries like appendectomy, hernia repairs etc. I believe the line "he wasn't strong enough to tolerate the procedure" originated in those times. A lot of FP's deliver babies and some even offer C-sections. As incomes and reimbursements continue to drop you will see more and more people with little or no training in surgery offering cosmetic procedures. The declining incomes and satisfaction associated with modern medicine is probably one of the main reasons that plastic surgery residencies and fellowships have gotten so ridiculously hard to get.

you get varied exposure depending on your residency program. Also, agree with the above, i hate liposuction, its so timeconsuming. Plus all the new fancy things like VASER/etc.. that are suppose to make it easier just make it twice as long. I hope to not do very much at all.