I need to vent...BIG TIME.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
okay, i hate how everyone views, but no one replies! -_-

can someone please respond? or do you really have nothing to say?

you might be happier in a city with a larger indian population...I'm not sure if you have religious background but finding something like that to offer you a sense of normalcy might help

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, i hate how everyone views, but no one replies! -_-

can someone please respond? or do you really have nothing to say?

I recommend sticking to it, things change.

India has already stated that if you do medical school in India and go to US for residency they can call you back to India whenever they want.

On a college note, I think you should go to a city with a larger indian population. Try to find friends from India, even if your school has very few, seek them out. Join a society or start one yourself.

Things so dramatic shouldn't be done without prior research and thought. If you were really unsure you should have applied to schools with more indians that way you have a home away from home and friends you can relate to.

A lot of international students find they hang out with international students, its because they just have more in common, so don't be too worried about that. There is so much difference between Indian and American culture that you will need a lot of time to slowly adapt, younger and younger people are moving abroad for school these days and trust me you are not the only person experiencing this.

On a medical school note, if you don't have US green card or citizenship it will be very difficult for you to get into medical school. Very few schools accept international citizens and they usually require higher grades from internationals.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Us trained doctors can go almost anywhere in the world....take a deep breath and calm down

And if India does not accept US trained doctors, then that will be the most depressing news for me because I will be stuck here all my life =(

You won't have trouble if you do medical school and residency in the US finding a job in India. You will probably be given preference even.

hi there...you sure seem to be quite dismayed with the decision you made. Fortunately..you've made a excellent choice of pursuing your career in the states. I think going back to india or moving to a new colllege won't help you,because you are trying to escape a situation put forth to you. You've to face your fears, whatever they are and really, its all in your head. To reassure you more, i'm from india and i've experienced the same way as you are feeling right now and shying away is not an option. You've to stand up for yourself, if not now,some point later in life.So do yourself a favour by doing it right away. It's pretty simple..you just have to disregard all those thoughts which creep up in your mind time to time that make you weak. Focus on your med school objectives and develop a more compliant attitude filled with compassion and love. Fear hates to be in company of these two and will dissipate by itself. Good luck and keep smiling.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling down. I can certainly empathize with your situation. First of all, realize that you are definitely not alone. In the global society we all reside in, most of us would feel out of place when jumping to another country/continent, all the while trying to learn medicine or prepare for medical school. I echo the sentiments of those before me saying that being in a culturally diverse area can certainly help. Most American cities are quite diverse with the New York/New Jersey and Bay Area (California) regions being especially diverse. I'm confident that you'll have a wonderful experience here without having to compromise your own culture and beliefs. Wish you all the best. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

you should definitely not quit. Make friends, stay focused and hold true to the good decision you had made.

You should stay, as people said, please don't be melodramatic. You have such a golden opportunity to get into an American medical school.

-Join your Indian Student Association (ISA), or whatever your equivalent is. Go to their meetings and meet people.
-If you want to change schools, look here:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/transfer-students/
Any large school will generally have a large Indian population

Part of your anxiety also may be to due to not optimizing your studies/work: Go through these books:

-How to be PreMed - Former Harvard admission's officer on how to get into HMS
http://books.google.com/books?id=hR...a=X&ei=FCq-UqmVJo2xsATZ14CoDQ&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBQ
-How to get Straight A's - Guy who graduated top of his class at Dartmouth and analyzed all the Rhode Scholars on how they studied with minimum effort:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ec...d=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=cal newport&f=false

PM me if you have any specific questions.