I need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhall1911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help ranking programs into tiers can anyone help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering why you want to break programs into tiers. Most people can't afford to only apply to top programs. Also, getting interviews is a crap shoot, I got interviews at ultra competitive programs that others didn't for no good reason. I rotated at a "top" program with the biggest names I have ever seen, but the world renowned surgeons never even lectured to their own residents. They were huge on spine, but never ever took their own residents for fellowship. This is the kind of thing you want to know.

Also decide if you want to do community or academic. They are 2 different worlds. To generalize, community programs can have more laid back experiences, possibility of moonlighting worked into the programs, and some even have top OITE scores, etc. Academic programs will get you exposure to more cases of complicated stuff, will hopefully build an excellent foundation of academic education and hopefully prepare you for a fellowship or life in academics.

If you have a list of programs maybe we could help you by telling you which ones are more academic, which ones have you as work horses in the OR, which ones are malignant, etc. I encourage you to ask these types of questions during this preinterview phase. Good luck.

thanks for the response. I am looking for places that community that has is a easy going place, that will work you. a place that everybody is pleasant.

Mount Carmel, Kalamazoo, William Beaumont, Fort Wayne, JPS are good community programs I interviewed with.