This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What to do if I don't get into US MD/DO schools?

• Caribbean MD (CA-approved)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ItsaBenzThing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate. My sGPA so far is 3.14. My cGPA is 3.23. I am going to take the MCAT in 2017. Are there any US MD/DO schools that I have a chance at getting into? If so, that is my "Plan A". If that doesn't work out, should I find a linkage program to a US MD/DO school or am I better off applying to the CA-approved Caribbean medical schools? As far as ECs and volunteering, I have shadowed a few physicians and one PA. I have around 120 hours in the hospital (going to have a lot more when I apply) and I am a part of a shadowing club at my campus. I have been going crazy with all the Googling (added stress) and decided to ask my question here. All help is appreciated.

EDIT: I am a biology major as well

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been going crazy with all the Googling (added stress) and decided to ask my question here.

You clearly didn't go crazy with the search function on SDN, because Caribbean schools are discussed (severely recommended against) every few days here. Find any of the hundreds of threads about them and you'll have your answer to that part.

Also, are you Canadian? Just guessing from you saying '3rd year' instead of 'junior'.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs are lethal for all MD schools, and merely OK for DO schools. You'd be auto-rejected at mine, AZCOM, the coastal Touros, BCOM, CUSOM, KCU, and CCOM.

And to save you some time, google these:

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/

http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu

Hey SDN, I am currently a 3rd year undergraduate. My sGPA so far is 3.14. My cGPA is 3.23. I am going to take the MCAT in 2017. Are there any US MD/DO schools that I have a chance at getting into? If so, that is my "Plan A". If that doesn't work out, should I find a linkage program to a US MD/DO school or am I better off applying to the CA-approved Caribbean medical schools? As far as ECs and volunteering, I have shadowed a few physicians and one PA. I have around 120 hours in the hospital (going to have a lot more when I apply) and I am a part of a shadowing club at my campus. I have been going crazy with all the Googling (added stress) and decided to ask my question here. All help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can't make it into any medical schools in the United States, then consider other healthcare options. Though, RN and PA schools are getting way more competitive nowadays.

Work on the GPA issue by getting a good upward trend and take time off to work, shadow, and volunteer. When you shadow, get insight from physicians from across many different specialties (even if you're only calling/emailing them and not actually shadowing.) Talk to your PCP, ask an ED doc where you volunteer, and any specialty in between and really ask "Do you think I should become a doctor?" I don't mean give them your stats, your passions, etc. I mean ask "do you think the medical field will improve to a point where I should be in debt well over $300k just to be in your shoes?" You'd be shocked by the answers. Some might tell you "Hell yeah! I love my job every day!" Most will probably give you a round-about way of saying "look into another profession." A good amount of physicians I shadowed/emailed/called told me they'd wish they did something completely different.

From there, OP, you need to really dig deep and outweigh the benefits and costs of your next steps.
  • Ace that MCAT in 2017. Should be self-explanatory...
  • If you decide to want to pursue this career, go to a formal SMP program if your major is hard science-related (bio, chem, biochem, physics, etc.) If you have a minor in hard sciences or your major is outside of it completely, with only the prereqs as your bcpmGPA, I'd consider a DIY-postbacc with only science classes while you work.
  • Get a good GPA for about 2-4 semesters part-time. This will save you a lot more money than an SMP or formal post-bacc.
  • Apply DO and state MD school(s) if you did informal postbacc. If SMP, then your list can be far greater if you have a high MCAT + killer GPA (3.5+.) Show your commitment to medicine.
If you don't think medical school, +3-7 years commitment to your job, crippling debt (unless you go HPSP,) worry about licensing (which is so damn expensive,) and having the high levels of stress and risk of burnout is not worth it for you, then I'd look at other options, starting with Physician Assistant or Nursing. Both are respectable fields and are getting more autonomy about every year. Scope of practice will be greater by the time you collect yourself, take all of your testing, and graduate from your program.

Good luck OP. Don't be in a rush into medicine. It's a large commitment that starts the moment you decide which school to attend.

EDIT: Also, taking national boards/tests will almost never end. The MCAT isn't the last test you have to take. $3oo for the MCAT is nothing compared to exams you have to take in medical school and residency.

You clearly didn't go crazy with the search function on SDN, because Caribbean schools are discussed (severely recommended against) every few days here. Find any of the hundreds of threads about them and you'll have your answer to that part.

Also, are you Canadian? Just guessing from you saying '3rd year' instead of 'junior'.
I am an American

Thanks for all the help guys. The reason I ask about Caribbean is because I have two family members go to the Caribbean just recently and another relative of mine is an MD from AUC.