I need an advice to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOPEOPT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to osu optometry school late last year almost at the end of the cycle, the admissions committee asked me for an interview, it went very well, but unfortunately they put me on the waitlist, yesterday the entering class of 2008 started, and they told me sorry you should start filling your new application for 2009, and advice me to repeat the OAT avg science 320, total 310, GPA 3.34. To repeat the OAT is soooooo stressfull to me, what I think to submit my application with extra recommendation letter from a professor and have extracurriculum exposure to optometrists, and reapply early, How do you think they are going to look at my application this time, do you think they are going to give me a seat because I am a reapplicant which means I insist to enter their programe??. Any suggestion, by the way my interview went very well, they told me I have very strong letter of recommendation, and before you ask me why I did not want to repeat the OAT becasue I am scared to get lower score than befor and this will affect my status so bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to osu optometry school late last year almost at the end of the cycle, the admissions committee asked me for an interview, it went very well, but unfortunately they put me on the waitlist, yesterday the entering class of 2008 started, and they told me sorry you should start filling your new application for 2009, and advice me to repeat the OAT avg science 320, total 310, GPA 3.34. To repeat the OAT is soooooo stressfull to me, what I think to submit my application with extra recommendation letter from a professor and have extracurriculum exposure to optometrists, and reapply early, How do you think they are going to look at my application this time, do you think they are going to give me a seat because I am a reapplicant which means I insist to enter their programe??. Any suggestion, by the way my interview went very well, they told me I have very strong letter of recommendation, and before you ask me why I did not want to repeat the OAT becasue I am scared to get lower score than befor and this will affect my status so bad.

Did you have many scores under 300 on your OAT? If its too personal of a question, don't feel obliged to respond. My guess is that the OAT is the problem especially if they recommended you retake it.

Did you have many scores under 300 on your OAT? If its too personal of a question, don't feel obliged to respond. My guess is that the OAT is the problem especially if they recommended you retake it.
bio 260
english 240
phys350
quant.reasoning 340
organic chem 340
gen chem 330
besides that all my grades'courses of bio and English in the undergraduate are A's

Members don't see this ad :)
im surprised they offered you an interview. must be your GPA. anyway, if I were you i would definitely re-take the OATs. your bio score is horrible (might as well have guessed...) and you'll need a good bio background to prep for the many biology based classes in optometry. g'luck

As is obvious, BIO and RC are killing you. I'd look into retaking it as well.

As is obvious, BIO and RC are killing you. I'd look into retaking it as well.
Yea that's right I will retake it but I am scared not to do well again or get low score on the other sections.:scared:

This is NOT how they will see your reapplication. If you submit another application, their first and foremost question will be, "what has this person done to improve themselves or their application?" If the answer to that question is "nothing", you're doing yourself a huge disservice and wasting quite a bit of time and effort. Take the OAT again, ESPECIALLY because this is something specific the school asked of you. We all know it's a lot of effort, and there is the fear that you'll do worse the next time, but that is why you adequately prepare for it. If this is something you really want to do, then quit whining and do whatever is necessary to get there.

I agree...you definitely need to retake the OAT to improve your Bio and RC scores, since your Bio OAT score really contradicts your Bio grades from undergrad, so if you improve that score, then it will show the admissions committee that you tried to improve as a candidate. Like Blysssful said, if you really want it, then you have to go for it!