I need advice, well just in general.

OoOoO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really scared cus I've taken the ACT three times and my highest score is a 23. I'm taking it in a week again on Thursday. I have an 3.93 with Ap Pysch & Ap Human Geography and planning on taking Ap Gov/Macro next year with AP chem and AP Spanish. I'm really scared that all the hard work I've put in so far is not going to pay off because off my ACT score. I'm not a good standarized test taker even with practice. I've done practice tests, I've even taken Kaplan classes since Decemeber. And it's really starting to get me worried, I couldn't sleep last night because ACT scores were suppose to be up. And its really stressing me out.

Members don't see this ad.

On top of this, I have a 4.1 weighted, and for non weighted I'm in the top 25.

Take a deep breath.
Stop studying.
Go outside.
Take a nap.

Take a break, come back, take a good look and let it go.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that you get really stressed out about it and that affects your scores. My best advice to you is, when you go in there and take it, try your hardest not to think about anything but the questions in front of you. Don't think about how you currently have a 23. Don't think about what score you want to get. I know it seems really super duper important to you right now, but in a few years, your ACT score won't matter. This isn't a make or break moment in your life. If you don't do so hot, you can take it again, no biggie. I took the ACT 6 times or something ridiculous. Just know that you've prepared for this, and as long as you don't freak yourself out, you'll do your best. Good luck!

Take a deep breath.
Stop studying.
Go outside.
Take a nap.

Take a break, come back, take a good look and let it go.

It kinda easier said than done. My dad has been up my butt about the ACT since last summer, and my score isn't even good enough to get me into the college that I want to get into. =/

Remember that these standardized tests, especially the ACT/SAT mainly teach you on how well you know the ACT/SAT, not how much you know your math/science.

Just read through a few study guides and practice, practice, practice. The College Confidential forums almost specialize in this kind of stuff, you should check it out. That's where I used to go.

1. No score is set in stone.
2. Spazzing is only gonna make it worse.
3. If your dad can't GTFO long enough to let you get a breath in edgewise, send him over here and I'll set him straight.
4. Your ACT is not necessarily a make-or-break.

Have you tried taking the SAT? You might have better luck with that.

I know you're freaking out about this, but one of the best things you can do is relax right now. A freaked out mind doesn't think well. Try listening to some relaxing music the day before you take the best.

Best of luck.

It seems to me that you get really stressed out about it and that affects your scores. My best advice to you is, when you go in there and take it, try your hardest not to think about anything but the questions in front of you. Don't think about how you currently have a 23. Don't think about what score you want to get. I know it seems really super duper important to you right now, but in a few years, your ACT score won't matter. This isn't a make or break moment in your life. If you don't do so hot, you can take it again, no biggie. I took the ACT 6 times or something ridiculous. Just know that you've prepared for this, and as long as you don't freak yourself out, you'll do your best. Good luck!

My ACT score affects what college I get into, if I get into the 6 year pharmacy program that I want to get in, and plus scholarships. It affects everything. :( And I even tried doing that on the last ACT, but I have a difficult time doing it. :/ It's just not fair how one score can ruin your chances of getting into the college & program that you want to get into. It's like colleges put a major emphasis on the ACT/SAT scores, but not as much as what you've done over the 3 years, how hard you have worked. =/ And thank you!

My ACT score affects what college I get into, if I get into the 6 year pharmacy program that I want to get in, and plus scholarships. It affects everything. :( And I even tried doing that on the last ACT, but I have a difficult time doing it. :/ It's just not fair how one score can ruin your chances of getting into the college & program that you want to get into. It's like colleges put a major emphasis on the ACT/SAT scores, but not as much as what you've done over the 3 years, how hard you have worked. =/ And thank you!

Yes, I understand how the ACT affects this part of you life, but if you always view it so pessimistically, you're not gonna be able to perform your best. The fact that standarized tests are so influential in applications is annoying, but it is a fact of life. However, regardless of your score, I have faith that you'll be a pharmacist one day, if you really want to. I'd suggest trying to look on the brighter side of things. You obviously are intelligent with such a high GPA, don't let this test get to you. Walk in there with confidence and do your best. There's nothing else you can do.

The problem is the way you are looking at it. Yes, the test is important, however, you are obviously intelligent, so stop worrying about it. If you think it's not fair that the ACT can ruin your chances of getting into a school, maybe medicine isn't for you because the MCAT/PCAT/DAT will be much more stressful. You've got a lot of "not-so-fair" exams ahead of you.

Look at it like this, it's important, that's why you are studying, but realize that you know the material so don't make a big deal out of it. You can always take it again. That should take some of the stress off.

Have you looked back at the stuff you missed and analyzed why you missed it?

At least the MCAT asks things you learned/were supposed to learn.

If you prep well, you should do well.

The SAT is just a total crapshoot.

Honestly, the only thing the SAT tests is how well you take the test.

And the MCAT actually means something, you don't take it, you cannot become a physician.

The SAT means nothing.

Don't stress so much, the stress isn't worth it, and it will prevent you from studying effectively. Just take it slow and just acknowledge the fact that what will be will be, and as long as you do your best, that's all there is to it, one way or another.

It's not as though you're in an absolutely horrible situation, you have an amazing GPA, and although I don't know where a 23 on the ACT stands these days, I'm sure the worst that could possibly happen is that you go to a regular 4 year university, and enjoy your college career while you're young instead of having an incredibly stressful 6 years and get done sooner. It's not the end of the world. My dad was 29 when he started Med school and he turned out just fine.

After you finish your degree you'll have had much more time to think about your life and what you want to do, and down the road you might decide that you don't want to do Pharm after all. I have a friend who turned down a 6 year dental program, and she really enjoyed her college years - they are some of the best years of your life.

So in review, don't stress, and take it a day at a time. And if you really want to go to Pharm school badly enough, you'll find a way eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least the MCAT asks things you learned/were supposed to learn.

If you prep well, you should do well.

The SAT is just a total crapshoot.

Honestly, the only thing the SAT tests is how well you take the test.

And the MCAT actually means something, you don't take it, you cannot become a physician.

The SAT means nothing.

You don't take the SAT/ACT you dont go to college--->you don't go to medical school--->you don't become a doctor. lol.

But anyway, the SAT tests you on things you are supposed to learn too; that's why a lot of people don't even study for it. If you don't study for the MCAT...well, you might get a couple points.

Technically you can go CC then transfer to a 4 yr university, then you can go to medical school
so I guess the SAT doesn't really matter if ure not planning on going to a 0+6 program and that stuff...

You don't take the SAT/ACT you dont go to college--->you don't go to medical school--->you don't become a doctor. lol.

But anyway, the SAT tests you on things you are supposed to learn too; that's why a lot of people don't even study for it. If you don't study for the MCAT...well, you might get a couple points.

Refer to ^ posts.

Wait...you can really get into colleges without SAT? I did not know that. Interesting. PS: How do you like Columbia Dental? I'm thinking between there and Penn...but I hate the weather lol. :)

Wait...you can really get into colleges without SAT? I did not know that. Interesting. PS: How do you like Columbia Dental? I'm thinking between there and Penn...but I hate the weather lol. :)

Yes.

Most colleges actually. However, some of the top schools will want everything, no matter what. And others just flat out need it.

However, this is usually after you have completed a certain number of credits.

Usually either 24 or 30.

At OSU-Columbus it is 30 and they don't need your scores, just your college transcript.

Or they want ACT.

Yep.

But the point I'm trying to make is that even though I am still studying for it, it is a dumb test and means next to nothing. I'm just taking it again to have a better/decent score on my transcript.

Yes, you go to a community college and then transfer. In California the UC system specifically saves seats for CC students, so it's rather easy to transfer in to a very high quality university.

Actually, I ended up turning down Columbia, even though they're an amazing school, and I loved the faculty, but for a variety of reasons I went with the University of Pittsburgh, and if I don't get into Loma Linda (just got on their waitlist yesterday) I'll be going there in the fall. I had a very hard time turning down Columbia, and both schools only gave me a WEEK to decide! After a lot of thought and introspection, I found that I just connected better with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is also in a MUCH nicer neighborhood and have much more modern facilities for the students, ie, all digital xrays and filing.

Yes, you go to a community college and then transfer. In California the UC system specifically saves seats for CC students, so it's rather easy to transfer in to a very high quality university.

Actually, I ended up turning down Columbia, even though they're an amazing school, and I loved the faculty, but for a variety of reasons I went with the University of Pittsburgh, and if I don't get into Loma Linda (just got on their waitlist yesterday) I'll be going there in the fall. I had a very hard time turning down Columbia, and both schools only gave me a WEEK to decide! After a lot of thought and introspection, I found that I just connected better with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is also in a MUCH nicer neighborhood and have much more modern facilities for the students, ie, all digital xrays and filing.

How did you get into Pitt and Columbia with a 3.35? :confused:

I'm not implying anything, that is awesome :thumbup:! Just wondering.

It looks like you did a lot of other stuff too so that is probably why.

Haha, I actually had a 3.01 Science GPA, which is the one that really matters. I got in because I had awesome letters of Rec, awesome EC's, tons of shadowing and working as a dental assistant, and I scored in the 96th percentile on the DAT :D. GPA is really not all that matters, it's only really about less than a third of what they look at for admissions.