I need a miracle... But it is happening !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctr1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

IMG 2012,
Step 1 = 220
Step 2 CK= 231
CS= pass
Research fellowship = 2 years in one of the top pediatrics hospitals in the US, with 10+ publications+abstracts+oral presentations in the pediatric subspecialty of my interest.

I failed to match last year, and I think it is because of my step 1 score and the lack of clinical experience in the US. I am not trying to look for an excuse for my scores but I had to rush them while I was a resident back home in order to join the research fellowship. I had a very extensive US clinical experience this year supported by very solid and strong LORs from assistant professors (pediatricians) during my research fellowship.

I only had 2 IVs this year, and was very lucky to get an interview from a place I interviewed in last year, I was lucky because I loved that place and ranked them number 1 last year, and because I have a second chance now!

I knew I would need a miracle to match this year, I see a chance now and I do not want to blow it up, I did extremely well in my research fellowship and do not want average step scores to prevent me from matching simply because I believe that I excelled in everything else!. Should I bring the subject of steps scores to the program director? I really do not know what I should do different this time during the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your step scores are the problem if you're going into Peds. You scored better than I did on step 1 and I matched the first time. They are low average. The problem is that you are an IMG now almost 4 years out from medical school. Not knowing where you applied, I'd guess you didn't apply broadly enough either in number or in tier, or your recommendations are not as good as you think they are. Your goal for the interview should be to show how well you'd fit in the program.

Reactions: 2 users
mavenus929,

Thanks so much for the replay. I actually applied to +100 programs across the country, and have been told by the program director of my first interview that my letters were very strong. But I guess you are right, my year of graduation and being an IMG are the main problem, it has been really tough this year for Peds for IMGs, many of those who I know applying for Peds have been struggling with getting IVs.

Hello everyone,

IMG 2012,
Step 1 = 220
Step 2 CK= 231
CS= pass
Research fellowship = 2 years in one of the top pediatrics hospitals in the US, with 10+ publications+abstracts+oral presentations in the pediatric subspecialty of my interest.

I failed to match last year, and I think it is because of my step 1 score and the lack of clinical experience in the US. I am not trying to look for an excuse for my scores but I had to rush them while I was a resident back home in order to join the research fellowship. I had a very extensive US clinical experience this year supported by very solid and strong LORs from assistant professors (pediatricians) during my research fellowship.

I only had 2 IVs this year, and was very lucky to get an interview from a place I interviewed in last year, I was lucky because I loved that place and ranked them number 1 last year, and because I have a second chance now!

I knew I would need a miracle to match this year, I see a chance now and I do not want to blow it up, I did extremely well in my research fellowship and do not want average step scores to prevent me from matching simply because I believe that I excelled in everything else!. Should I bring the subject of steps scores to the program director? I really do not know what I should do different this time during the interview.

-I think you should also consider taking the step 3 which would add something to your app
-I applied mostly to family and some internal/psych programs.
-I ended up attending about 40 interviews out of the 50+ I scheduled in mostly FM, some IM/psych
-For the most part PD did not care about my clinical research - several of the interviews never mentioned it, most interviewers mentioned it in passing and often when I tried to discuss my research they quickly changed topics without follow-up questions (it was all clinical no basic science and highly relevant to primary care)

-there is hope for you - I had much much much much lower step scores then you....but there are so many other factors since I don't know how well you interviewed, I am USMG, no visa issues, etc.

Last edited:
doctr1: Good luck with your interview. A couple of thoughts:

- Make sure to show that you're a fit with what the program is looking for. If they are a community program that is not looking for a strong research type, emphasize your commitment to clinical work. Given your strong research background, they may want to make sure that you won't be unhappy if you don't have many research opportunities in residency, and that you would be a happy camper doing whatever it is that their program needs/offers. I'm even speculating that if you had emphasized your research strongly in your personal statement, that could have been a reason why community programs felt that you were not a good fit with them and you didn't get invites there. (Perhaps someone with a knowledge of what community programs look for may have better insight into this.)

- IMO trying to explain your step scores is dubious, since you have 2 scores to explain which are roughly the same (given that Step 2 scores are on avg higher than Step 1). So I would leave it alone unless (1) you think it's essential to do so (e.g. it's an academic program where you are a good fit otherwise but your scores are lower than their normal range), (2) you can do it with a very light touch, and (3) you truly have a good reason that can cover both tests without it looking like you're making excuses.

The miracle happened .. I MATCHED !!!!!!

To all IMGs out there,,, AMERICA appreciate hard work.

Reactions: 19 users