What happens if you don't sign a residency contract?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manny24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They act like we have a choice. No matter what it says we have to sign or we get BANNED from NRMP

Members don't see this ad.

I mean you have a choice in that they can't physically force you to sign the contract, but choosing anything other than signing your contract and fulfilling your match requirement will result in an NRMP ban.

Reactions: 2 users
All programs are required to show you the contract prior to the match -- so this really shouldn't be an issue. Other than salary (which might change), there shouldn't be other major changes. If a program did make a bunch of changes that you were uncomfortable with, you could probably successfully get a match waiver for that.

Reactions: 1 user
All programs are required to show you the contract prior to the match -- so this really shouldn't be an issue. Other than salary (which might change), there shouldn't be other major changes. If a program did make a bunch of changes that you were uncomfortable with, you could probably successfully get a match waiver for that.
I thought I recalled getting sample contracts at all of my interviews

This is the user who was unhappy with having SOAP'd into a specialty that he/she now regrets, and presumably is still seeing if there's a way out: Leaving after NRMP 45 day policy

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user