I need a job!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Placing the "shoe" on the other foot, I am going to post my 'desires' for job opportunities & hope that I attract options...who knows?

My family & I seek to return to the mid-west (close enough to home, but not too close ya know!). The region we are specifically looking into is northern MO (along the I-70 corridor & north), southeastern IA, western NE & the suburbs of Kansas City & St. Louis. We would also consider IN & IL, but have heard & read a lot of negative stuff about how litigenous the courts are & how exorbitant malpractice rates are in IL. But, I have heard/read tons of good stuff on those same topics about the state of IN.

We seek ready access to outdoor activities - love to bicycle, hike & camp. I am an avid fisher & hunter. Ideally, we'd love to find a small to mid-sized college community or suburbs of a larger city.

In a practice, I seek variety to range from major whacks (vascular, surg/onc, neuro) to more bread & butter (OB/gyn, ortho, GS). The perfect situation would allow me to split time between the ICU & OR. I will complete anesthesiology in July 2007. And, I will complete my fellowship in critical care in July 2008.

Me? I am just damned funny & a load of fun to work with! I have no problems working hard, but I believe in a strong family life & enjoying the fruits of my labors...I love to play with toys! My other hobbies (sources of need for my more costly toys) include target shooting, audio equipment & woodworking.

Now Bill & Melanie Gates, please send me a fat-assed check!!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Dave, when I was a graduating resident and all the way through this past summer, I used to get a lot of e-mails about jobs in midwest. Some sounded really nice and along the lines of what you are looking for. You might want to just put your name and e-mail out to some of the recruiters and see what they send to you.

Dave, when I was a graduating resident and all the way through this past summer, I used to get a lot of e-mails about jobs in midwest. Some sounded really nice and along the lines of what you are looking for. You might want to just put your name and e-mail out to some of the recruiters and see what they send to you.

UTS,

Thanks for the suggestion...actually, I have already done that & am swamped with headhunter e-mails & phone calls. To be frank, I am fatiguing of the process...esp since I will not be available until July 2008 due to my fellowship.

More or less, I was publicly whining & wanting the "ultimate job" to simply fall into my lap w/o any effort on my part...realistic huh? :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
More or less, I was publicly whining & wanting the "ultimate job" to simply fall into my lap w/o any effort on my part...realistic huh? :love:

Happened to me. I was ready to sign with another group when this one called me in the OR on the day I was going to meet with the prez of the other group.

Never looked back after that.

Yo Dave, you should seriously consider looking here in Iowa City. This is quite frankly one of the coolest little cities I have ever lived in. I have kids and the schools are freakign awesome, and quality of life is incredible. No need for private schools here! You could come on faculty likely or you could try one of the private groups here or in Cedar Rapids. I hate CR personally but really like Iowa City. If you are into sports, this place is heaven. The city is culturally open and on the liberal side with 30K undergrad students.

Matt

Before I read Corpsman's post, I was going to give a shout out to IC, IA

I think they have raised academic salaries at UI some recently. The SICU is great there. Nearly "closed."

If you want PP salary though, I dont think you will be able to do ICU in the area.

Feel free to PM me.

We seek ready access to outdoor activities - love to bicycle, hike & camp. I am an avid fisher & hunter. Ideally, we'd love to find a small to mid-sized college community or suburbs of a larger city.

You have described Morgantown, WV. Check out the WVU thread. :thumbup: