I know this isn't an exact science...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
But how many programs (roughly) do you think I should apply to? I'm a US grad, totally average USMLE scores (224 - step 1, 226 - step 2), slightly below average GPA, expecting good letters. What's a reasonable number of psych programs to apply to so that I can avoid scrambling?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends partly on which programs you select, but 10-15 is reasonable. You'll be competitive at most places you apply to, and if you rank 8-10 you're very likely to match.

But how many programs (roughly) do you think I should apply to? I'm a US grad, totally average USMLE scores (224 - step 1, 226 - step 2), slightly below average GPA, expecting good letters. What's a reasonable number of psych programs to apply to so that I can avoid scrambling?

1) 225 on step 1 is not "totally average"....it is about 10 pts above average, which is not insignificant.

2) it depends on where you are applying. If you *need* to be in the la or san fran area, that answer is going to be different than if you want to be in the oklahoma/texas/kansas/etc area.......

You're going to get interviews at most places you apply though.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) 225 on step 1 is not "totally average"....it is about 10 pts above average, which is not insignificant.

2) it depends on where you are applying. If you *need* to be in the la or san fran area, that answer is going to be different than if you want to be in the oklahoma/texas/kansas/etc area.......

222 was the national average for Step 1 this year, so they were likely comparing themselves to all med students, not just psych applicants.

222 was the national average for Step 1 this year, so they were likely comparing themselves to all med students, not just psych applicants.

I've never understood how the average keeps creeping up, since I thought the average was supposed to be standardized to 215 with a SE of 15. It was 217 my year, w/ a SE of 17.

Seems like they need to hire new statisticians, or at least be a little more transparent as to how the scoring distribution is determined.

huh...my apologies.....when I took step 1 the average was in the 214-215 area......is that average you report for us students or all students?

Either way, the guy is still a more than competitive applicant....decent board scores, no red flags....he shouldnt rule out any program.

I was comparing myself to all med students, not just psych applicants. The average step 1 my year was around 220ish, so I was definitely pretty close to average. For step 2, my score was exactly average.

I'm looking across southwest/mid-south (NV, AZ, NM, OK, TX, MO, AR), so I'm not applying anywhere super-competitive. Right now I have 12 programs on my list. Should I look for more or does that sound about right?

Also, to one of the other posters, I'm a girl so you don't have to refer to me as "they" ;)

Thanks for all the help so far! More advice is always welcome :)

I was comparing myself to all med students, not just psych applicants. The average step 1 my year was around 220ish, so I was definitely pretty close to average. For step 2, my score was exactly average.

I'm looking across southwest/mid-south (NV, AZ, NM, OK, TX, MO, AR), so I'm not applying anywhere super-competitive. Right now I have 12 programs on my list. Should I look for more or does that sound about right?

Also, to one of the other posters, I'm a girl so you don't have to refer to me as "they" ;)

Thanks for all the help so far! More advice is always welcome :)
I would expect that you will get invitations to interview at all your programs. Last year I believe that pretty much any AMG who ranked 10 schools contiguously ended up matching. You can see the report at:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

USMLE average for U.S. Seniors who matched is 216. Your Step 1 is slightly above average for medical students as a whole, well above average for Psychiatry. Well done...

Don't sell yourself short.

It matters more how many interviews you go on than how many schools you apply to. Apply to the top 20 places you'd be interested in going to and then go on 8-10 interviews and you'll do well, especially if you're a good interviewee.