Anyone know telepsych companies that allow working abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand you can't bill medicare/medicaid when abroad, but are there any telepsych companies that are billing largely insurance or will accommodate a physician who is based internationally?

Members don't see this ad.

Following this thread b/c I am curious to know as well.

There are probably licensing limitations, but imagine the geoarbitrage potential if you are living in a minimal cost-of-living developing country but earning the salary of a US based private practice telepsych doc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a colleague who lives in Israel and works for the company Happier Living, may be worth checking them out.

Why would you tell them? Why would they care? How would they know??

I'm not sure, I assumed I'd be breaking my malpractice if I were practicing abroad.

Are you asking why someone would be trying to not break laws?

What laws are you talking about?

It's useful to understand the difference between:
1. non-compliance with a regulatory statute
2. breach of private contracts
3. risk management in civil liability

If your patient is physically located in a US state of which you hold a medical license, you are practicing to your license. This eliminates #1.

Did you sign a contract that mentions anything about your physical location? If not, this eliminates #2.

Does your medmal carrier care where you are when you practice telemedicine? You can call them to confirm, but in general, the answer is no. This eliminates #3. You are practicing the same medicine and assume the same good community standard of practice regardless of your physical location.

So, I'm asking you, which "law" are you talking about?

And if none of these issues apply why would you even ask this question?

What laws are you talking about?

It's useful to understand the difference between:
1. non-compliance with a regulatory statute
2. breach of private contracts
3. risk management in civil liability

If your patient is physically located in a US state of which you hold a medical license, you are practicing to your license. This eliminates #1.

Did you sign a contract that mentions anything about your physical location? If not, this eliminates #2.

Does your medmal carrier care where you are when you practice telemedicine? You can call them to confirm, but in general, the answer is no. This eliminates #3. You are practicing the same medicine and assume the same good community standard of practice regardless of your physical location.

So, I'm asking you, which "law" are you talking about?

And if none of these issues apply why would you even ask this question?
I think I misspoke in saying this was about the law, moreso about contracts and company policies. I don't know if there's an issue or not, or if any company cares about what country their doctors are in. But the OP asking the question suggests that they want to know how to do this properly. I took your post to be suggesting somewhat cavallarily to just be wherever regardless of what the company wants (either by policy or explicitly in the contract) -- perhaps that is the right answer but I think it's reasonable to ask the question of which companies will allow this without issue.

I think I misspoke in saying this was about the law, moreso about contracts and company policies. I don't know if there's an issue or not, or if any company cares about what country their doctors are in. But the OP asking the question suggests that they want to know how to do this properly. I took your post to be suggesting somewhat cavallarily to just be wherever regardless of what the company wants (either by policy or explicitly in the contract) -- perhaps that is the right answer but I think it's reasonable to ask the question of which companies will allow this without issue.

In general, one should read contracts carefully, but one should not "bring up issues" or "ask questions" without a strategic reason to do so.

If the contracts don't mention it, then it's probably preferable that you don't bring it up. If you bring it up, they might add on a clause to prevent you from doing it. There's no policy if it's not written down. One day if you feel comfortable enough with your direct report you might ask in a way that's strategic (i.e. "how do you in GENERAL deal with these issues"). If you tell your boss something, then it implies that you want something done about it, and it's fair game that that something might be harmful to you.

I think it's frankly bad taste to be like, oh JUST FYI I'm planning on sunning in Belize while working remotely for your Psych ER. Is that a problem for you? No? Oh okay. What's the purpose of that disclosure? How would that make your boss feel? People are too driven by their narcissistic anxiety to actually have enough empathy to deploy common sense.

Reactions: 2 users
There are certainly a number of telepsychiatry companies that allow you to be abroad, but the list is ever changing due to changing policies and regulations by the company. There's nothing illegal about doing telemedicine from abroad, but you should be aware of a few caveats - and be sure to check with your malpractice carrier. But honestly, it's best to just start your own private practice. I'm doing this now and it's *awesome*.