GRE's Importance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT2024-2027

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

How important are the GRE's for your application? How did you guys prepare for the GREs?

Also if you score low on the GRE's how can you make it using other aspects of the application?

Thank you for all your comments on my threads ! This is a very amiable community

Members don't see this ad.

GRE importance varies by program. Some don’t even require it. Others have minimum scores and say on their website the weights of various parts of the application and GRE scores are sometimes pretty heavily weighted (especially verbal). Others have no minimum but recommend just hitting 150/150/4 and not worrying about doing super well. Personally I valued it pretty highly because I had a below average pGPA and I wanted to balance that out

I prepared by studying a Kaplan book for a couple weeks and doing a few practice tests. I don’t think Kaplan was the best source though. People often recommend Magoosh

If you don’t do well you can make up for it by being above average in other things like GPA, observation hours, strong LOR’s, strong essays

Reactions: 1 user
GRE importance varies by program. Some don’t even require it. Others have minimum scores and say on their website the weights of various parts of the application and GRE scores are sometimes pretty heavily weighted (especially verbal). Others have no minimum but recommend just hitting 150/150/4 and not worrying about doing super well. Personally I valued it pretty highly because I had a below average pGPA and I wanted to balance that out
Agreed. I think my high GRE made up for my GPA, but there were some schools that said once you hit a certain score or their minimum score, it won't compensate for shortcomings in other parts of your application. Many schools don't care about GRE score as long as you hit their minimum.

I recommend Gregmat videos and reddit's r/GRE subreddit for resources. 5lb Manhattan is good for math but not verbal. The best is the GRE book by ETS since they make the test. Those are the only resources I used. Also take practice tests and get familiar with the timing of the test.

Work real hard on your personal statement and if you have time get a variety of observation hours. If the schools have supplemental questions, make sure you research the school and play up values you have that align with theirs. For example, I have pretty good nonPT related volunteer experience with underserved communities, you bet I addressed that with schools that have pride in their probono clinic

Reactions: 1 user