I know I have been "Indecisive"

KK1517

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys if you have seen my posts I went from wanting to become a MD to EMT and have decided I have changed my mind again. I am now interested in becoming a PA "Physician Assistant"

I was wondering which would be a BETTER choice for me to get experience to enter the PA program and become a great selection?

Should I go EMT-PA or Respiratory Therapist-PA?

I have read old threads and other websites saying both of these are good choices to show proof of having direct contact with patients because if I remember correctly PA program requires 300-500 hours of health care experience.

I would like a NEW updated response to how it is now and also I live in Florida, Clearwater area if that helps .

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know at least in the Army, most of the PAs are prior EMTs. Also, EMT is something you can do on the side while going to school for your PA prerequisites. Either way, try to get a bunch of hours shadowing a PA in addition to whatever you're doing for clinical hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Hmm, I do know If I take the RT route I will earn an associates and then be eligible for bachelor degree then I can apply for PA program since I will need a bachelor in order to get in I think.

But for EMT its not an associate. I will need to go school longer probably since its only a certificate program?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I do know If I take the RT route I will earn an associates and then be eligible for bachelor degree then I can apply for PA program since I will need a bachelor in order to get in I think.

But for EMT its not an associate. I will need to go school longer probably since its only a certificate program?

My point was, you could probably knock out your emt-b while in high school, then either just ride the ambulance for some side money in college while you get your bachelors in bio or similar. Or you could then get your paramedic, which is also an associates, then finish bachelors after that.

Go for rt, it thats what interests you. However you will get a broader exposure to medicine as an emt or paramedic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Got cha, I understand now. RT is 2 years here and EMT B is 5 months which I can receive quicker to start working to get experience then I can go to paramedic which I can learn more skills