Don't Know Where to Go

gaboy123321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I'm a senior in high school who is residing in Georgia and is interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. However, before I can begin this journey I must first choose a undergraduate school to attend and I'm conflicted on where to go on one hand I can attend Kennesaw State University ( a small lesser known school) virtually free due to state scholarships and the ability to reside at my parents; but, because it is a smaller school there won't be as many research opportunities, pre-med advising,etc. On the other hand I can attend the University of Georgia ( large state public uni) where there will be many opportunities for research and better pre-med advising; however, scholarships will not cover all my costs of attendance and I will be forced to take out loans. In my time of lurking these threads I'm reading mixed opinions of where to go some say that "it does not matter where you attend it's what you make out of it" or "just go where it's cheaper" and others claim that med school adcoms take into account of what undergrad you attend. If someone could please advise me on what to decide on I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Georgia and can answer questions. How much more expensive would UGA be?

I'm from Georgia and can answer questions. How much more expensive would UGA be?
I'm eligible for Zell Miller so Tuition is covered and for the Pell grant which will cover some of the room and board, textbooks, and fees.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean the cheaper school isn't terrible in this situation...

It's still a good school. You can still maybe intern or do research at UGA. It'd prob be a better college experience but you can still have fun if you go to the cheaper school.

I don't think it's a good idea to take out loans when you'll be going to medical school anyway!

It's still a good school. You can still maybe intern or do research at UGA. It'd prob be a better college experience but you can still have fun if you go to the cheaper school.

I don't think it's a good idea to take out loans when you'll be going to medical school anyway!
Honestly I'm not the type who is too into "party life".

I'm eligible for Zell Miller so Tuition is covered and for the Pell grant which will cover some of the room and board, textbooks, and fees.

How much of a Pell grant would you get? What is your EFC?

Are those your only two choices? UGA and KSU? What about the other GA publics? Would any of them give you merit scholarships for your ACT/SAT and GPA? What are your scores and GPA?

Aren't there schools like Georgia Southern and Georgia State? What other state schools that might give you a scholarship? Georgia college and state university? Augusta?

Go to each of their scholarship pages and see if they'd give you a good-sized award for your test scores.

With Zell, which covers all of tuition, a merit scholarship, and Pell, you may not have to borrow much at all - especially if you can work a summer job and maybe get some work study.

Undergraduate prestige matters very little. As long as you can still get the necessary EC's, always choose the cheaper option.

Reactions: 1 users
Coming from a Georgia resident applying currently in the application process, you will NOT be at a disadvantage by completing your bachelors at KSU. I've met interviewees from both the West and North Georgia schools (even smaller than KSU).

What is your EFC?

I really wouldn't want to live with my parents

Agreed. There are advantage and disadvantages to commuting. If you don't have a very reliable car and can afford car repairs, then commuting can be a problem. Sometimes families can be a detriment to studying.

Are those your only two choices? UGA and KSU? What about the other GA publics? Would any of them give you merit scholarships for your ACT/SAT and GPA? What are your scores and GPA?

Aren't there schools like Georgia Southern and Georgia State? What other state schools that might give you a scholarship? Georgia college and state university? Augusta?

Go to each of their scholarship pages and see if they'd give you a good-sized award for your test scores.

With Zell, which covers all of tuition, a merit scholarship, and Pell, you may not have to borrow much at all - especially if you can work a summer job and maybe get some work study.

Any of the GA publics are fine. However, some may have a more premeds, and therefore more likely will have a more developed advising office and premed clubs.

Undergraduate prestige matters very little. As long as you can still get the necessary EC's, always choose the cheaper option.

While I agree with choosing a low cost option, sometimes the cheapest one isn't the best path. If this student has strong stats, and with Zell I assume he does, then he probably can stack a merit scholarship from one or more of those GA publics and get costs covered.

HOWEVER, many schools insist that the student apply and submit the scholarship app by a Nov or Dec deadline, so don't delay. Some schools run out of merit awards, so they award to those who apply early in the app season.

For example: Admissions Scholarships | Office of Admissions | Georgia Southern University
Go to this Georgia southern scholarship website. While Nov 1 was their priority deadline, you'd still not be too late to be considered. That deadline is later. So apply here now. You may get one of their larger awards.

Then go to the scholarships sites of the other GA schools. Probably don't bother with UGA or GT unless your stats are perfect or close to perfect.

Coming from a Georgia resident applying currently in the application process, you will NOT be at a disadvantage by completing your bachelors at KSU. I've met interviewees from both the West and North Georgia schools (even smaller than KSU).

True.

Last edited:

• My EFC is zero so I will be eligible for the full amount.
  • UGA and KSU are my only choices; I haven't applied to other schools such as Georgia Southern and Georgia State because I don't see much of a difference between them and KSU.
  • My GPA is a 3.9; however, my SAT is not as high as I would like it to be ( mid 1200's) so most merit scholarships are out of the question.

Would you mind telling which med schools you met these interviewees at? In state or out?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your EFC?

Agreed. There are advantage and disadvantages to commuting. If you don't have a very reliable car and can afford car repairs, then commuting can be a problem. Sometimes families can be a detriment to studying.

Any of the GA publics are fine. However, some may have a more premeds, and therefore more likely will have a more developed advising office and premed clubs.

While I agree with choosing a low cost option, sometimes the cheapest one isn't the best path. If this student has strong stats, and with Zell I assume he does, then he probably can stack a merit scholarship from one or more of those GA publics and get costs covered.

HOWEVER, many schools insist that the student apply and submit the scholarship app by a Nov or Dec deadline, so don't delay. Some schools run out of merit awards, so they award to those who apply early in the app season.

For example:
Go to this Georgia southern scholarship website. While Nov 1 was their priority deadline, you'd still not be too late to be considered. That deadline is later. So apply here now. You may get one of their larger awards.

Then go to the scholarships sites of the other GA schools. Probably don't bother with UGA or GT unless your stats are perfect or close to perfect.

True.
Why wouldn't the cheapest one be the best path? Additionally, I don't think having pre-med clubs would be that big of an issue or having not that great of advising; because, I've read stories of premeds having terrible advisors and useless clubs while still being able to receive secondary's and II's.

At this stage of the game, the "Doesn't matter where you go to college since you'll be going to medical school" philosophy is very premature. While you might very well be one of the few pre-meds who does make it all the way through to medical school, odds are far greater that you'll be one of the 86% who does not. For that reason, choose the school that will set you up best for LIFE, not just for medical school.

Please note that the 86% who do not go on to medical school includes a large number of students who decide they prefer a different path in addition to those who try and fail, so please don't take that the wrong way.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, did you only apply to 2 schools? Not trying to be a dick, but I know UGA early admission decisions haven't come out yet, so given how competitive it has become in the last few years, what is the game plan if you don't get into UGA?

Would you mind telling which med schools you met these interviewees at? In state or out?
In state schools.

GA is one of the better states to reside in seeing as we have 5 total medical schools that (while in some cases OOS friendly) seem to favor in state applicants.

Why wouldn't the cheapest one be the best path? Additionally, I don't think having pre-med clubs would be that big of an issue or having not that great of advising; because, I've read stories of premeds having terrible advisors and useless clubs while still being able to receive secondary's and II's.

While i agree that the student should not take on a bunch of debt, choosing the obvious cheapest may not be the best path. Meaning that the obvious cheapest of commuting to local school may not be the best path. With merit award combined with Zell and Pell and maybe some work study, living on campus elsewhere may be equally affordable or more affordable.

Finding some other serious premeds can be helpful. Study groups, shared info, etc.

This sounds like a low income student, so having to depend on a car to get to school may be a problem. Hate to see him miss classes or an exam because of car issues and no funds to repair. Having to depend on a car to get to school can be pricey...gas, insurance, repairs,maintenance, etc. Living on campus eliminates that possible problem. Seen too many students get an F for a missed test for legit reasons...no leeway given.

This is a Zell recipient. Likely he has the GPA and test scores to snag a large award at one of the other schools. Maybe even at KSU...enough to live on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, did you only apply to 2 schools? Not trying to be a dick, but I know UGA early admission decisions haven't come out yet, so given how competitive it has become in the last few years, what is the game plan if you don't get into UGA?
Apply regular to GSU or attend KSU

While i agree that the student should not take on a bunch of debt, choosing the obvious cheapest may not be the best path. Meaning that the obvious cheapest of commuting to local school may not be the best path. With merit award combined with Zell and Pell and maybe some work study, living on campus elsewhere may be equally affordable or more affordable.

Finding some other serious premeds can be helpful. Study groups, shared info, etc.

This sounds like a low income student, so having to depend on a car to get to school may be a problem. Hate to see him miss classes or an exam because of car issues and no funds to repair. Having to depend on a car to get to school can be pricey...gas, insurance, repairs,maintenance, etc. Living on campus eliminates that possible problem. Seen too many students get an F for a missed test for legit reasons...no leeway given.

This is a Zell recipient. Likely he has the GPA and test scores to snag a large award at one of the other schools. Maybe even at KSU...enough to live on campus.
Honestly, reliable transportation is not an issue.

That's good. But I still think it's in your best interest to apply to a few other non-UGA and non-GT publics in GA to see what large merit you'd get.

What was your ACT/SAT and GPA
My GPA is a 3.9 and my SAT is 1250.

At this stage of the game, the "Doesn't matter where you go to college since you'll be going to medical school" philosophy is very premature. While you might very well be one of the few pre-meds who does make it all the way through to medical school, odds are far greater that you'll be one of the 86% who does not. For that reason, choose the school that will set you up best for LIFE, not just for medical school.

Please note that the 86% who do not go on to medical school includes a large number of students who decide they prefer a different path in addition to those who try and fail, so please don't take that the wrong way.

Not disagreeing with what you're saying, but... When did I say it doesn't matter where you go to college? I was just saying that it may be better for OP to choose the cheaper option, because chances are they will have to take a loan for medical school anyway... So why add to that debt? I agree, go to a school that sets you up best for life. I'm just saying, that he can still get a good experience because his cheaper option isn't a terrible school; it's still a great school. He can still do stuff with UGA and apply there for medical school. But I agree 100%, go to a school that sets you up best for life; where you develop as a person, truly learn the material and are able to apply it best as well as grow into a strong student... Don't go to a school where you'll have to bust your a** for a 3.0 GPA but one where you're not breezing through without learning ****. Go to a good school, where you may get a 3.7/3.8 but you graduate after developing into a better person.

Not disagreeing with what you're saying, but... When did I say it doesn't matter where you go to college? I was just saying that it may be better for OP to choose the cheaper option, because chances are they will have to take a loan for medical school anyway... So why add to that debt? I agree, go to a school that sets you up best for life. I'm just saying, that he can still get a good experience because his cheaper option isn't a terrible school; it's still a great school. He can still do stuff with UGA and apply there for medical school. But I agree 100%, go to a school that sets you up best for life; where you develop as a person, truly learn the material and are able to apply it best as well as grow into a strong student... Don't go to a school where you'll have to bust your a** for a 3.0 GPA but one where you're not breezing through without learning ****. Go to a good school, where you may get a 3.7/3.8 but you graduate after developing into a better person.

Sounds like we agree -- I didn't intend to put words in your mouth @chemdoctor -- just trying to pre-empt that standard SDN advice that says to go to the cheapest college because it won't matter. I think we're in agreement that choosing a school where the OP will flourish is an extremely important decision, and that the price tag for that education may have very little bearing on which school will be better or worse for him/her. Either school can get him/her into medical school -- but odds are good that one or the other is a much better fit.

@gaboy123321 - Have you actually visited these two schools? (Plus a few others) It's surprising how much information you can glean from an on-campus visit. Sometimes one school will just 'feel right' and another will feel absolutely wrong. If you can swing the trip(s), it will be very worthwhile for you.

My gut tells me that you''d be weeded at a better GA publics. If KSU or similar would be affordable, that would be better than UGA

My gut tells me that you''d be weeded at a better GA publics. If KSU or similar would be affordable, that would be better than UGA
How difficult are weed out classes? Are they worse depending on the institution you attend?

How difficult are weed out classes? Are they worse depending on the institution you attend?

Weeder classes are challenging everywhere. The difference will be that at more highly ranked universities your premed classmates will likely be stronger than you are (think SAT scores of 1400-1500-1600). At those schools you'd be less likely to get the A's in those classes.

Using this loose analogy - imagine that you want to make first string of your college's football team. Do you think you'd have an easier time being selected if you played for UCDavis or if you played for USC? Imagine that the first string players are the ones who get accepted to med school and the 2nd-string and bench-sitters are the ones ones who got weeded or rejected.

TL;DR you want to go where you can be a star.

Weeder classes are challenging everywhere. The difference will be that at more highly ranked universities your premed classmates will likely be stronger than you are (think SAT scores of 1400-1500-1600). At those schools you'd be less likely to get the A's in those classes.

Using this loose analogy - imagine that you want to make first string of your college's football team. Do you think you'd have an easier time being selected if you played for UCDavis or if you played for USC? Imagine that the first string players are the ones who get accepted to med school and the 2nd-string and bench-sitters are the ones ones who got weeded or rejected.

TL;DR you want to go where you can be a star.
So my best bet would be going to a smaller university such as KSU where there's less competition, which in turn will lead me to excel in my courses. Is this because these so called courses are graded on a curve? Do med schools know this and do they take this into account when reviewing you application?