I have to memorize 2 days worth of notes

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AP US History teacher wants us to listen to 28 episodes of podcast that equals 2.0 Days.

Episodes range from 20 mins-2 hours in length.

There is no way I am going to remember all of this. What do you recommend I do to help myself remember.

Should I be taking notes?

I don't know what EXACTLY I should be taking notes on though?

I know this is vague but lets say ur prof wanted you to watch a 1 hour video or WHATEVER. And come in a week later and take a test on it. No tricks, but you need to know the video.

What would you focus taking notes on.

I'm thinking I should mention every topic covered and only include important details on each.

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously if I were a mod I would charge you a $1 for every worthless thread you've made.

1. Listen/watch the podcasts
2. Take notes
3. Review notes

If you don't know what to take notes on, I suggest you SEARCH ONLINE FOR "APUSH NOTES".

This is a forum, not your personal blog.

Seriously if I were a mod I would charge you a $1 for every worthless thread you've made.

2. Take notes
3. Review notes

If you don't know what to take notes on, I suggest you SEARCH ONLINE FOR "APUSH NOTES".

LMFAO GTFO SDN Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I think subconsciously Jeff is running me off this forum cause I am finding that I either put off coming on here or I intentionally don't come on here .

2. Take notes
3. Review notes

I agree! I've only been on SDN a couple of month and Im tired of his post!

I think you should document every time he uses certain words such as "government" or "Iraq" or "the." That's probably what your teacher was after. Or you could, I dunno, take some brief notes on the most important topics. How is this any different than attending lectures?

I think subconsciously Jeff is running me off this forum cause I am finding that I either put off coming on here or I intentionally don't come on here.
Seriously? These threads make my day.

I think you should document every time he uses certain words such as "government" or "Iraq" or "the." That's probably what your teacher was after. Or you could, I dunno, take some brief notes on the most important topics. How is this any different than attending lectures?

Seriously? These threads make my day.

May I ask why ? and yes I am very serious , I try not to be rude but I am a frank and blunt person and he annoys me greatly anymore . I tried being his " friend" even on FB but he got weird there so anyways I'm over it but coming on here watching him make 2,000 threads in an hour is ridiculous .

Next it'll be what brand of pencil should I use ? Paper mate or America's choice .

I think it's a good way to practice your note taking skill Jeff. If you think the tape goes too fast, you can always pose it and take good notes. It shouldn't be that hard. :)

Good luck.

I have a penchant for Schadenfreude.

Don't you feel all warm and cozy, watchin' people out in the rain? That's Schadenfreude! People taking pleasure in your pain...

Woot for Avenue Q!

Video-taped lectures are the bomb.

My AP US History teacher wants us to listen to 28 episodes of podcast that equals 2.0 Days.

Episodes range from 20 mins-2 hours in length.

There is no way I am going to remember all of this. What do you recommend I do to help myself remember.

Should I be taking notes?

I don't know what EXACTLY I should be taking notes on though?

I know this is vague but lets say ur prof wanted you to watch a 1 hour video or WHATEVER. And come in a week later and take a test on it. No tricks, but you need to know the video.

What would you focus taking notes on.

I'm thinking I should mention every topic covered and only include important details on each.

GTFO SDN AND GO WATCH THE VIDEOS! :thumbup:

Here Here!! The Truth Has Been Spoken.

Yeah I know but what should I focus on note taking?

That is the problem I'm having really. Everything seems important :/

Members don't see this ad :)
here's the thing jefgreen... everyone else in your class is expected to do the same thing. are you smarter than them? if so, then there is no reason to be worried. either the test will be much easier than you think it will be, or everyone will do poorly but you'll do well by comparison. both scenarios are ":thumbup:"

have some confidence in yourself

edit: watch the videos in double-speed like a man. you'll learn enough. don't worry about trying to learn it all.

Don't you feel all warm and cozy, watchin' people out in the rain? That's Schadenfreude! People taking pleasure in your pain...

Woot for Avenue Q!

Video-taped lectures are the bomb.

QFT except I have to basically watch 28 of them and remember them all :(

QFT except I have to basically watch 28 of them and remember them all :(

Then shouldn't you be starting rather then wailing on SDN? This is precious time that you could've spent on watching 28 videos.

Then shouldn't you be starting rather then wailing on SDN? This is precious time that you could've spent on watching 28 videos.

I already did five. I'm ahead of the game as it is.

I'm thinking about watching them again but taking notes. B/c I didn't take notes. That's the point of this thread b/c I think everything the people say is important.

I already did five. I'm ahead of the game as it is.

You cannot possibly be "ahead of the game" if you have no clue how or what to study in those lectures. Reading for the sake of reading/watching lectures for the sake of watching are absolutely worthless exercises in futility when it comes to studying.

I have a penchant for Schadenfreude.

:D:thumbup:

Amen to that. How is it so hard to pick out the speakers' main points? What do you do in class? Do you frantically write down everything your teachers say? Listen to the casts, and write down little bullet points as you go. This isn't rocket science.

Yeah I know but what should I focus on note taking?

That is the problem I'm having really. Everything seems important :/

:sleep: :yawn::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:

Seriously take these people advice and go do it .

I think everything the people say is important.
Welcome to the GPA-killer that is APUSH.

But seriously, suck it up and make bullet points. Speed-noting, mother******.

I'm thinking about watching them again but taking notes. B/c I didn't take notes. That's the point of this thread b/c I think everything the people say is important.

1. IF you had taken notes while watching it the first time, then you wouldn't have to spend time watching it again, thus spending more time on the first 5 videos. This precious time could have been spent on watching the other 23.

2. Once again, is this a question or a statement? If it's a statement, it should go on your blog, which you MUST create ASAP as you feel that you need to let everyone know what you must do.

If it's important take notes. Can't you listen to podcasts more than once too? That makes it even easier. If you learn by hearing, listen. If you take notes by doing, take notes and retake. If you take notes by seeing, take notes with schematics. If you can't do 2 days of notes, I don't know if AP His is for you...

Some of you guys are being hostile towards Jeff and I won't stop you.

hah yeah. It was probably the easiest AP I did. Well, govt was actually.
Clearly it depends on the teacher you get, as no one in my class got higher than a B, and those were the dedicated ones shooting for Ivies.

But if you're just saying that to sound slightly smug, seeing as how this forum generally attracts students of above-average caliber who lack real lives and thus have little else to brag about, then carry on.

Clearly it depends on the teacher you get, as no one in my class got higher than a B, and those were the dedicated ones shooting for Ivies.

But if you're just saying that to sound slightly smug, seeing as how this forum generally attracts students of above-average caliber who lack real lives and thus have little else to brag about, then carry on.

Ha, yeah, I like to be smug about classes I took 4 years ago...you seem quite smug yourself though. ;)

If it's important take notes. Can't you listen to podcasts more than once too? That makes it even easier. If you learn by hearing, listen. If you take notes by doing, take notes and retake. If you take notes by seeing, take notes with schematics. If you can't do 2 days of notes, I don't know if AP His is for you...

This actually helps.

Idk what you mean exactly by schematics though.

I can take 2 days of notes.

So far I have listening to the first 3 three times each and have pretty solid notes.

My problem was/kinda is trying to find the best METHOD. I can do it, and put in the time, that's not the problem.

If they're 20 minutes each, that's 3 hours just to get notes for 3 lectures. You said they range from 20 minutes to 2 hours; you could be talking 18 hours for 3 lectures.

You don't need to take perfect notes; nobody is going to use them but you, if even then. You only need to know the material, with a vague knowledge usually being enough (in hs anyway) for peripheral details (meaning a quick cover to put it into your memory, so when you see it on a multiple choice test your mind pulls it up) , and a stronger knowledge for the more important stuff. You don't need to be able to pull this stuff out of your ass, you just need to know it good enough to be able to recall it adequately when prompted to. In high school, "adequately" is a pretty low bar from my experience.

... how on earth do you expect to take notes in lecture at college if you can't even take notes from a podcast without asking for help?

Here's what you need to do Jeff. Go listen to your podcasts and write crap down. Then if you still don't have the skill that you learned in first freaking grade you can come back here and whine to us, but until then try to actually do something on your own for once.

"Can't never could until he tried."- CScull's mummy

... how on earth do you expect to take notes in lecture at college if you can't even take notes from a podcast without asking for help?

Here's what you need to do Jeff. Go listen to your podcasts and write crap down. Then if you still don't have the skill that you learned in first freaking grade you can come back here and whine to us, but until then try to actually do something on your own for once.

"Can't never could until he tried."- CScull's mummy

ROFLcoptor. AHAHA CScull's mummy... ah

how on earth do you expect to take notes in lecture at college if you can't even take notes from a podcast without asking for help?
This concern is definitely something to think about. If you can't just sit down and extract information from a lecture, I'm not sure how you're going to manage in college. Hell, I'm not sure how you manage now. That's a skill you absolutely must develop.

Jef: I'm at work right now in the last two weeks of my engineering job (which you have commented on doing before, with obviously having no idea what engineering entails).

I'm bored out of my mind. I wandered over to this forum. You have made a massive amount of threads, most of which are on the SAME TOPIC.

These are the threads you've created in the past MONTH:

I have to memorize 2 days worth of notes
Does having a high Grad GPA help at all
Calculate GPA for the year?
Math…
Majors that do not involve heavy doses of math?
How do you study and remember?
Thinking of going into clinical Psych now…
Do dual enrollment classes count?
Engineering curious?
Not doing dual enrollment but…
Dual enrollment classes?
How to get an A in every class?
Biomedical Engineering an M.D/PhD
Summer after graduation
"Wesbite" to buy used/cheap books?

Dude... Go out and get laid. Seriously.

Jef: I'm at work right now in the last two weeks of my engineering job (which you have commented on doing before, with obviously having no idea what engineering entails).

I'm bored out of my mind. I wandered over to this forum. You have made a massive amount of threads, most of which are on the SAME TOPIC.

Now that I think about it, is jeff a troll?

Don't laugh, my mummy is a smart woman! :p

I dont laugh at ur mum. I laugh at the fact that even your mom is fed up of jef starting new threads about the same old lame topics... As engineeringdude said: Get out and get laid :p

Oh no, that's just one of her favorite sayings, she wasn't saying that about Jeff, she doesn't even know who he is... I hope.

If they're 20 minutes each, that's 3 hours just to get notes for 3 lectures. You said they range from 20 minutes to 2 hours; you could be talking 18 hours for 3 lectures.

You don't need to take perfect notes; nobody is going to use them but you, if even then. You only need to know the material, with a vague knowledge usually being enough (in hs anyway) for peripheral details (meaning a quick cover to put it into your memory, so when you see it on a multiple choice test your mind pulls it up) , and a stronger knowledge for the more important stuff. You don't need to be able to pull this stuff out of your ass, you just need to know it good enough to be able to recall it adequately when prompted to. In high school, "adequately" is a pretty low bar from my experience.

Oi.

Yes.

there are only a couple 20 minute podcasts.

The vast a majority (@ least 20) are an hour and 45 minutes.

I only ask because I haven't taken an AP class and in most of my classes the teacher just feeds us the notes.

This concern is definitely something to think about. If you can't just sit down and extract information from a lecture, I'm not sure how you're going to manage in college. Hell, I'm not sure how you manage now. That's a skill you absolutely must develop.

Oh I know, I guess I will get some practice jotting notes from these podcast lectures.

Like I said, usually the teacher just feeds us the notes.

So, what you are trying to say (I think), is that I should get off of SDN?

facepalmnjy.jpg

Thank you for that. I lol'd.

So, what you are trying to say (I think), is that I should get off of SDN?

I think ive told you that enuf times. GTFO SDN and study APUSH

Cornell note taking really helps--I've taken notes in cornell format forever
and it's a great way to take notes. I'm not sure why nut it's easier to
read and remember with this format.