I have a list of out-of-state programs. Are my credentials competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to UF, UCF, UNC-Chapel Hill, MUSC, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Cal State-Sacramento. Obviously none of these are "easy" options. I live in Georgia, but don't have any desire to go to a school in-state, except for Emory or Mercer, but I'm trying to stay away from private institutions for cost purposes. I also qualify for in-state in Florida with Florida pre-paid. Obviously, I am anxious about this application process as it is my first time around and am curious how competitive I can be with my credentials. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

GPA: Cumulative- 3.49
Pre-req: Unsure official

GRE:
Verbal- 154
Quant-153
Writing-4.0

Experience:
75 hours in sports outpatient
500+ hours orthopedic outpatient (I'm a technician)

I don't know how weighted extra-curriculars are, but I was a college athlete as well as being involved in 2 honor societies and an exercise science club on campus.

Members don't see this ad.

How does your GPA and GRE compare with each school? Public schools tend to favor in-state students, so you'll need to be above average to be competitive at those schools.

Also, the pre req GPA is crucial....I would sit down and figure that out by hand so you know where you stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does your GPA and GRE compare with each school? Public schools tend to favor in-state students, so you'll need to be above average to be competitive at those schools.

My GRE is right around the average of the accepted students according to PTCAS and each program's respective site. My GPA is in the same category from as far as I can tell.

Also, the pre req GPA is crucial....I would sit down and figure that out by hand so you know where you stand.

According to the Cal State-Sacramento application where I posted my courses and grades, I sit at a 3.22 pre-req GPA. So not great at all, which worries me.

It's on the lower side but not unreasonable. So that's good. If the ore req GPA is at least near the schools average, you have a chance. If it's lower, I would say your chances as an out of state are slim. This may be a point where you forgo moving far and strategize for your state schools. The other sad reality is that lower stats often mean private more expensive schools. Would you rather be a PT with more debt? Or not get in this cycle but reapply to a cheaper school? I don't know the answer for you but many of us have faces that struggle.

It's on the lower side but not unreasonable. So that's good. If the ore req GPA is at least near the schools average, you have a chance. If it's lower, I would say your chances as an out of state are slim. This may be a point where you forgo moving far and strategize for your state schools. The other sad reality is that lower stats often mean private more expensive schools. Would you rather be a PT with more debt? Or not get in this cycle but reapply to a cheaper school? I don't know the answer for you but many of us have faces that struggle.

Nah, it's CA. Any out of state applicant has a slim chance.